IGNORED

800XL Ultimate 1mb PLEASE HELP!

birrdbrain

Hi, I have an 800XL and I am trying to install an Ultimate 1mb memory upgrade from Lotharek. My problem is that the instructions that came with it were extremely flawed so I searched the internet looking for answers. I found what I thought was the right answer but now when I plug in the ribbon cables my 800XL won't even power on :( . If anyone has a solution for this or some LEGIT instructions for this installation I would be truly grateful, Thanks!

The installation instructions on Lotharek's site are minimalist but accurate. If the machine won't power up the first thing to try is to completely remove the U1Mb and replace the OS and MMU chips. I always do this as part of the install to check the socket installation is good. If the machine still won't turn on you may have bad solder joints on your new sockets or possibly a solder bridge somewhere. Plenty of us here have installed U1Mb boards so there's plenty of experience to share.

• Like 2

thanks for the reply, I did try replacing the chips and the system booted up just fine (thank god) the problem I had with the instructions is that it didn't have a pic of where to solder the HALT wire. I'm not an expert at the technical speak so I kind of have to go by pictures.

In the SEARCH box at the top-right of this forum, type "Ultimate Installation" and several useful threads will pop up.

More specifically, look here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236570-ultimate-1mb-intructions-headache/?p=3205093

Note that this 800XL installation was for the Candle version which required an MMU adapter (Lotharek's does not). Also note that the picture of the (VIA) 4-wire solder points is taken from the top side (back) of the board.

-Larry

thanks for the reply, I did try replacing the chips and the system booted up just fine (thank god) the problem I had with the instructions is that it didn't have a pic of where to solder the HALT wire. I'm not an expert at the technical speak so I kind of have to go by pictures.

It's understandable and wise to look around for good pictures and guides regarding installation, but regarding the details you assert are missing (at http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=67, which is the page on which you presumably purchased the item):

post-21964-0-60723300-1429814708_thumb.png

If you click on "CLICK", you get this:

http://lotharek.pl/cms/menadzer_plikow/CPU.jpg

There's also a pinout diagram of the 6502, and instruction on which way around to orient the ribbon cables.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

Glad it's not completely borked :) For the future it's helpful to post any troubleshooting steps you've already taken and their outcomes - it saves time!

Oh and welcome to the forums too!

Here's how I installed mine. I am hoping completely reversible (nothing is soldered in). As for the carts. I know that I had to change the CAR settings (at the bottom of the U1 menu) to get it to boot a physical cart. I am still playing around with it (installed it last night) and trying to figure out why I should keep the MIO I have. I could put the U1 on the other side of the board, I suppose, but this is just as easy. Would be nice if I could put the RF shield back on (if only to make sure it does not get destroyed in storage).

post-16779-0-41585300-1430087631_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Here ya go!attachicon.gifUltimate 1MB - 800 XL - Rev. C.jpg

Make sure the O.S. ribbon cable is plugged the right way. The notch SHOULD BE ON THE LEFT. My ribbon cable was put on upside down, so when it's installed, I had to bend it over the O.S. slot.

RISE FROM THE GRAVE!

I set mine up as shown in the pic...I think, but I'm getting a powering up flash then a black screen. My soldering truly sucks and here's some pics to prove it. The blobs are only making contact where I intended irl. When I put the original chips back it works normally. Not sure what to try next. I seen some people went off the edge of the pbi. I just can't find a detailed pic. I've tried the ribbon connections in different combinations.

20161030_202845.jpg

20161030_202942.jpg

20161030_202958.jpg

I'm not familiar with what you're saying (mobo I know mother board but where ). That's why I'm looking for a picture really. I can copy it that way.

I need a Installation for Dummies guide;)