IGNORED

The best Sega Master System game?

moodorf

I'm pretty new to the SMS, and I was wondering which game(s) are considered the best. Here are the ones I have already:

Shinobi

Choplifter

Black Belt

Rambo II

Rastan

Hang-on/Safari Hunt

The one name I keep hearing pop up again and again is Wonder Boy III. What's the max I should pay for a CIB copy?

I'm also open to any suggestions that aren't space shooters--I already have more than I know what to do with on the 2600 .

Thanks! :-D

Edited by moodorf

Cyborg Hunter is a nice gem indeed, and Wonder Boy in Dragon's Trap is a masterpiece (best game in the series, even though I prefer the PC Engine port).

I would also strongly recommend Castle of Illusion. It is not as good as the Genesis original, but it is one of the best platformers on the console.

Golden Axe Warrior is a good Zelda clone if you like that kind of game.

I also discovered recently on a TV show that Kung Fu Kid is supposed to be really good, but I never had the chance to try it.

• Like 1

The best game on the system, which I also believe is one of the best games ever, is Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap.

If you don't mind having the manual written on, this is a decent price.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wonder-Boy-III-The-Dragons-Trap-Sega-Master-System-1989-Complete-Game-/171765431486?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fe047cbe

Edited by goldenegg

Rescue Mission!

sega-master-system-rescue-mission_0.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Gosh - I really want to try this game but my copy has a weird issue. I can use the Phaser to get past the title screen, but when I try to get past the difficulty select screen nothing happens. I've tried a bunch of things, but my copy never wants to cooperate. I need to try it on a different TV I guess, but Safari Hunt and Shooting Gallery work fine on this TV. It's very weird.

I've heard such good things about this game, it sounds like a lot of fun :)

Your issue with rescue mission is definitely the TV. I had the same issue trying to play it on my commodore monitor and had to use a CRT that the buttons didn't work right on to play it, it was worth the trouble though.

Rescue mission has been the only light gun game I've ran into that would only play on certain CRTs.

Very surprised to see Cyborg Hunter getting named as one of the system's best. I thought it was easy and found the gameplay rather undercooked, though it's still better than many other games on the SMS.

I don't know what the best game on the SMS is, but the one I've enjoyed the most so far was probably the Smurfs platformer or its (ridiculously rare) sequel. Line of Fire, Rambo II, and the Ys game were pretty good as well. Phantasy Star is great-looking and ambitious but I found a lot of the dungeons to be tedious.

• Like 1

There were sooooooo many great games on the SMS, hard to pick just one.

'Great'. :lol:

But it's true. System and its games are chock full of charm. Really, really good stuff here. One of my favorite all time systems, but don't even currently own one. My brother did BITD though and had all his Sega boxes lined up on his shelves. Had the 3D glasses and 3D games too. Couple of thin faux hu-card's also, Ghost something or other. Enjoyed wrestling, baseball, Rambo, R-type, Monopoly, Missile Defense, Montezumas Revenge, Y's and many others with my little bro. Still has his original system as a matter of fact. Think he still plays Golden Axe Warrior and some Fox game once in a while. :lol:

IMHO the SMS is one of the most under rated systems. I got mine new back in X-mas of 1986. The titles the come to mind are:

Phantasy Star (Great RPG)
Miracle Warriors (RPG)
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Rambo II
Ghost House
Space Harrier
Maze Hunter 3D
Zaxxon 3D
Double Dragon
Rescue Mission
Cyborg Hunter
Astro Warrior
Shinobi
Choplifter
Rastan
Ghostbusters
Rampage
Alien Syndrome
Thunder Blade
Just to name a few ;)
Side note: If you try to hunt down the Sega Scope 3D games, you will need a CRT TV to play them. Sega Scope will not work on modern flat panel TV's.
Edited by pboland

Your issue with rescue mission is definitely the TV. I had the same issue trying to play it on my commodore monitor and had to use a CRT that the buttons didn't work right on to play it, it was worth the trouble though.

Rescue mission has been the only light gun game I've ran into that would only play on certain CRTs.

What a relief. I am in the market for a new CRT so it looks like Rescue Mission is the testing benchmark I'll be using.

The original Rambo is a pretty great arcade style top down shooter, but make sure you know the continue cheat. No way it is the best game, but I haven't seen it mentioned and similar to Choplifter, it could be somewhere in the top 10 for some people. The SMS port of SDI (Global Defense) was also surprisingly enjoyable.

The original Rambo is a pretty great arcade style top down shooter, but make sure you know the continue cheat. No way it is the best game, but I haven't seen it mentioned and similar to Choplifter, it could be somewhere in the top 10 for some people.

Unless I'm going bonkers, that's the same as Rambo II, right? IIRC the title screen and cart just say "Rambo" but the box and manual say Rambo: First Blood Part II.

BTW I was able to beat it without the continue cheat, though the last level gets nasty. To me, it's basically Ikari Warriors done properly, right down to the missiles that pepper you from offscreen if you stay in one place too long. One case where the SMS version of a game has a big edge over the NES.

I need to spend some time with Global Defense, as I liked what I saw. I also liked Missile Defense 3D, which had the best depth effect of all the SMS 3D games I've tried (all of them but Outrun 3D).