IGNORED

The best Sega Master System game?

moodorf

There are more Japanese games than American. Brazil has the strongest following, though. They had ToyTec versions of Street Fighter 2, female hero (Monica) versions of Alex Kidd, and many other off the wall games. I would say that Y's, Phantasy Star, Spellcaster, Cyber Shinobi, Kensaiden, Miracle Warriors (best box art in Haja No Fuunin followed by Spellcaster (Japanese version)) are some of the best! I could never pick just one. The Japanese system has SG-1000 compatibility and can play US games out the back with a simple adapter! The FM chip found only in the Japanese system enhances many games that were never even released in Japan! The FM sound versions of games usually sound a LOT better! Double Dragon is a great example..

You can mod a U.S. system to add the FM sound for games that support it!!

Edited by Papa
  • Like 1

Ah - I see. I was getting Rambo II confused with another game. Isn't there another Rambo game that uses the Light Gun? I thought that is what people were referring to as Rambo II

Yep, Rambo III. I have that but only played it briefly, and found it fairly difficult.

There are more Japanese games than American.

I don't believe that's correct, unless you're counting SG-1000 games. AFAIK there were 85 Japanese Mark III/SMS releases (including one funky limited release), and 114 US games released.

There are a few Japanese exclusives, but not a great many -- fewer than 20, I think. Of course, the European and Brazilian SMS libraries dwarf the US and Japanese.

It's a real shame that the FM module never came out in the US and Europe, especially given that more than a third of the FM-supporting games weren't even released in Japan.

• Like 1

Anybody have one of those Brazilian all in one systems? Master System 3 I think they are called? I saw one once for about $80 and didn't pull the trigger (because I like having the carts in my grubby little paws) and have always wondered about it.

(since finding loose SMS carts--which is what I prefer--at times seems impossible and also seems to offer no price break vs cased copies, at times I wish I had bought the thing, I don't think 80 was an awful price in box)

There are a bunch of really cool and deserving SMS games that spring to mind when I try to assign a best ranking, and after a quick play session to try and decide which one takes it for today, I'd have to go with...

Quartet

Looks awfully good, plays great (2-player co-op!), tickles the action fancy in a sort of Fantasy Zone tons-of-wacky-shit-flyin'-about / never-a-dull-moment kind of way, offers a pleasing amount of depth and originality for a shooty platformer, and it's even kinda notable among the SMS library by being the only home console version of the game.

An excellent rundown on why it's a great SMS title (skip to 3:00 to get straight to the details of the port):

Gee I am only reviewing all the US titles on my blog that I have a link to in my thread about it. :|

But for my tops?

Mickey Mouse and the Castle of Illusion

Phantasy Star

Ultima 4

Protip: Genesis model 1 with a power base convertor and a Commodore monitor. Use the DIN composite output and have nice times. (And Rescue Mission can be played if you turn either the brightness or contrast up. Eventually I do want a PVM but money and whatnot..)