IGNORED

TI-99 and Computer Monitor Help

TI-GAMER

Hi Everyone,

I would assume that this has been answered before but could use the help. I would like to connect my TI-99/4A to a regular LCD computer monitor to save space. I still have an old tube TV that I have been using. Can the TI be used with a standard LCD monitor either with the 15pin VGA or DVI connector and if so, what do I need to do it?

You can use the F18A VDP mentioned in many other threads to get VGA output, or locate a video adapter to convert Composite video to VGA (the F18A will do a better job). Do search here for F18A to see the huge support this upgrade is generating. :)

You could also just get a small LCD TV with video/audio inputs and use a composite cable with that. RCA jacks with yellow (video) and audio (red and white) are the inputs on the TV for this. The result is quite satisfactory and you don't need to spend a lot of money to do it.

Gazoo

You could also just get a small LCD TV with video/audio inputs and use a composite cable with that. RCA jacks with yellow (video) and audio (red and white) are the inputs on the TV for this. The result is quite satisfactory and you don't need to spend a lot of money to do it.

Gazoo

This is similar to the route I went just this past week to connect the TI-99/4A I bought off Craigslist. I bought a used Dell monitor at Goodwill for $29 that has a composite video input as well as VGA and DVI inputs. The monitor is about 7 years old but has great picture quality. I made my own composite cable yesterday. The monitor doesn't have built-in speakers so I just have the audio (red and white) outputs connected to some powered speakers (Parsec sounds great through these speakers). Later, I plan to purchase and install the F18A - and I'll be able to use the same monitor!

Edited by davidgatx
  • Like 1

I have one of those Cables that was made for use with the actual TI Color monitor. It has the Ti DIN connector on 1 side and the 3 RCA Cables on the other. Would that cable also work with a standard LCD TV with Composite in?

It is the exact cable located at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Texas-TI-99-4A-Composite-Video-TV-A-V-Lead-Cable-American-Model-Only-/261217712125?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cd1c9f7fd

Again thank you for your help. Just trying to re-live my 80's LOL

Thanks for confirming that

I found a 24" TV on Clearance at Best Buy for $70 with Free shipping so I think I am just going to hook it up directly to that. It does have the Yellow - Red and White Composite jacks. Will there be any issues since it is such a higher resolution than the Ti can put out? It is an LED 720p TV

Will there be any issues since it is such a higher resolution than the Ti can put out? It is an LED 720p TV

No, the TI should fill up the screen just fine. You may find that you want to manually select a different aspect ratio on the TV because a 16:9 ratio is kind of 'stretched out'. But then again, that stretched out view looks pretty good in Parsec! :-D

Perfect!

Now time to dust off the old TI and PEB box from the Crawl Space and get it ready for when the TV arrives.

On a different subject... Has anyone put together any compilations of software in Cartridge format. I read something about some 512k cartridges quite some time ago and lost track of it. I have a ton of cartridges myself but it would be nice to have things condensed into just a few if possible. I probably also need some utilites to make sure it is working properly after all of these years. I can dig through ebay and purchase what I need that i do not currently have.

Perfect!

Now time to dust off the old TI and PEB box from the Crawl Space and get it ready for when the TV arrives.

On a different subject... Has anyone put together any compilations of software in Cartridge format.

I read something about some 512k cartridges quite some time ago and lost track of it.

Oh boy, have they ever!

I recommend one and only one cartridge to every returning TI user, hell for that matter to EVERY TI user period!

I'm in love with mine since it makes using the TI much more enjoyablet.

<< CLICK HERE >> For more information.

This makes me wonder, over all these decades...

How many RF modulators do you think have had their heads chopped off and replaced with RCA jacks?

Fewer than have been thrown in the trash, I'd wager. I've seen people with boxes of NOS modulators that they couldn't give away.