IGNORED

odyssey 2 pink panther

cobra429

• 10 months later...

I see the confusion.

Probe 2000 was a brand name used by Philips (NAP) / Odyssey to market video games they published for home systems made by their competitors (like the VCS and Odyssey). The game was rumored for Odyssey2 as well, but so far only the aprils-fool demo was released. Official prototypes have yet to be found

It seems like every few months, some new prototype of this game surfaces. In addition to Scott Stilphen's awesome article that timdu linked above, I wrote an article on my Odyssey2 site about this game. I also interviewed Randy Green, the programmer of the ColecoVision proto, and Ed Averett, who programmed about half of the O2 library (but NOT Pink Panther). Based on what they told me and what I've read about the game, I think the 2600 and Atari 8-bit versions are the only ones that were very far along. They seem all but complete. Randy confirmed that he never finished the ColecoVision version -- the proto recently discovered is an early demo with no gameplay. He did say a version with some gameplay existed at one time but it has not been discovered.

At this point I suspect the Odyssey2 version wasn't really started, or maybe barely so if at all. Philips was winding down support for the O2 at this time and pouring their attention into the other systems (and developing the Odyssey3 which never came out). All we know for sure is that it was on their lists of upcoming games but neither Randy nor Ed worked on it. Ed had stopped developing games by this time.

It's amazing how many of these copies have turned up without the game managing to become generally available.