IGNORED

Next Flashback consoles?

AAA177

Just curious if anyone knows of any plans for Atari Flashback 6, or second versions of Colecovision, Intellivision, Genesis?

Also, wasn't there somebody on here who worked on the Nintendo DS Atari Greatest Hits games who was working on another compilation, but maybe with rare games? Is that a phantom memory?

I'd like to see the Flashback series branch into classic handhelds. Atari Lynx or Sega Game Gear flashback systems that look and feel like the originals but with better screens and modern rechargeable batteries preloaded tons of games would be awesome.

An Atari 5200 Flashback would be great too, it could come with better joysticks that can also be used on the original 5200 systems.

• Like 2

I'd like to see the Flashback series branch into classic handhelds. Atari Lynx or Sega Game Gear flashback systems that look and feel like the originals but with better screens and modern rechargeable batteries preloaded tons of games would be awesome.

An Atari 5200 Flashback would be great too, it could come with better joysticks that can also be used on the original 5200 systems.

I hate to give them ideas to take my money twice but....I would probably buy (at the black Friday prices) portable versions of the ones they already released like the Coleco and Inty.

• Like 1

I hate to give them ideas to take my money twice but....I would probably buy (at the black Friday prices) portable versions of the ones they already released like the Coleco and Inty.

Portable Coleco and Inty systems would be nice but I'm not sure how they could manage the controllers on a handheld.

Edited by mipaol

That was our plan for the Flashback 3 when we created and were funning the Flashbacks. Along with a portable version of the Flashback 2/2+. Instead, someone new in licensing at Infotari decided to license the line to AtGames.

• Like 2

That was our plan for the Flashback 3 when we created and were funning the Flashbacks. Along with a portable version of the Flashback 2/2+. Instead, someone new in licensing at Infotari decided to license the line to AtGames.

I've heard this on these boards many times and it always disappoints me. And then there is the whole discussion about how to bring one out with an Atari cart slot that someone immediately dumps on as being too unrealistic. . . . But the hardware is already designed, Atari just needs to talk to Curt and Marty about it (again).

Here's hoping someone comes back to you guys at some point and releases the handheld flashback with a cart slot that we all want. It could have AV out and controller ports and be the most awesome thing to happen to the 2600 ever!

Has the reason why the FB2 isn't compatible with all carts been isolated? Surely that can be corrected and we can get an almost perfect "new" machine . . . someday.

Portable Coleco and Inty systems would be nice but I'm not sure how they could manage the controllers on a handheld.

It'd be tough, you're right.....triggers on the back for the left right buttons and the d-pad to the left/keypad to the right of the screen? would look pretty weird I guess.

Neo Geo FB!! Have you seen the price of one bare console? And a few hundred dollars for a multicarts? Neo Geo consoles (and its arcade cousin) are both among the most expensive game systems.

http://www.amazon.com/NEOGEO-X-GOLD-Limited-Electronic-Games/dp/B0093G9VOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430268382&sr=8-1&keywords=Neo+geo+x

Apologies to those who have read this sentiment from me posted before: The Flashback that I'd really like to see would be a sub-one-hundred-dollar recreation of the original "insanely great" Macintosh computer. The computer for the rest of us... ...for the rest of us... ...those of us who weren't so fortunate in 1984 to have a spare $2,500 lying around ($5,681 in today's dollars!) to spend on the new computer that was going to change the world. I can almost experience it here, but how great would it be to have an actual Apple-blessed product with a few real, licensed applications?

Of course I know it will never happen... ...but it's a nice dream...

I haven't been in contact with AtGames for several months now, but the last time I worked with them they were pitching minor to slightly updated versions of their existing products to retailers. I don't know how successful they were/what the outcome was. From my perspective their primary focus seems to be more on digital products (PC, iOS, and eventually Android) and their gaming tablet. With that in mind, it's unlikely we'll see any expansions to the hardware line (outside of the usual annual updates of their existing products) for this year, and there's a zero percent chance any of the suggestions/hopes here will be part of their future plans for various reasons. There's no reason those ideas couldn't find their way into a digital offering, though, which has far lower risk than physical goods.

Oh I would love an Atari 800/Jaguar/Lynx Flashback. Love it so much.

Also Flashbacks with HDMI would be ducky. And DB9s that could work with 3rd party controllers because ye Ol Dirty Bastard I dislike the classic 3's default sticks so much. Honestly the Genesis control pad was the first GOOD pack in controller IMHO. Before then was misery and suffering mostly. Yes even the NES and SMS pads weren't exactly good. Ok at best. PC Engine slightly better. I basically used the NES Advantage on my NES almost exclusively and my go to controller on my PC is a 3 button Genesis Arcade Stick with a RetroUSB dongle which most games support happily except for Shantae Risky's Revenge and Double Dragon Trilogy...

How about an "all-in-one" of some of the existing products? A single console that includes 2600, Intellivision and Colecovision games. The only issue would be the controllers. Not sure if that is best solved with a hybrid controller of some sort (which would have drawbacks) or the inclusion of multiple controllers (which would raise the cost and be confusing to consumers). Add HDMI plus composite video and I would buy one in a heartbeat. While I'm dreaming throw in SD card support too.

I'm often on here waving the TurboGrafx-16 flag, but I think it would be a good option for a Flashback. Interest seems to be on the upswing and prices for games and systems are going up.

If not a flashback, how about a compilation game for a current gen system (like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection). It could have a lot of the regular HuCard games as standard, then some CD or SuperGrafx games as unlockables. Just a thought.

Other than that, I'd like to see something collecting Lynx or Game Gear games since there are few that I ever really played. I think I tried out Blue Lightning and Xenophobe on the Lynx and Spiderman and Sonic for the GG. Just would be interested in seeing more from those systems.

I'd just be happy if the next Flashbacks for Inty and Coleco had more and better games, especially the Coleco.

I've thought this about those compilation disks before. I'll look at it, "Wow! 20 classic Midway Arcade titles... oh... well... there's only a couple I'd ever actually play..." Thought this exact thought about Midway Arcade Treasures 2 for the Xbox. Still bought it. Still only play Xybots and Rampage. lol

Here's an idea I haven't heard kicked around... ...now that pretty much everyone has made the transition to HD TVs, how about a plug-n-play with an HDMI connector for playing vintage arcade vector-graphics games? I'm thinking Battle Zone, Tail Gunner, Star Castle, Asteroids (of course), Lunar Lander, Rip-off, and of course, Tempest.

A digitized version of a vector screen on an HDTV isn't exactly like the real thing, but there are a lot of us who would like to share the experience with our kids. I used to love playing "Space Wars" with my brother on a machine at a local college. All of those different options to try for strong-gravity, no gravity, reverse-gravity, no-drift... ...it was awesome.

post-12574-0-66630000-1431099286_thumb.png

Here's an idea I haven't heard kicked around... ...now that pretty much everyone has made the transition to HD TVs, how about a plug-n-play with an HDMI connector for playing vintage arcade vector-graphics games? I'm thinking Battle Zone, Tail Gunner, Star Castle, Asteroids (of course), Lunar Lander, Rip-off, and of course, Tempest.

I suspect that it will be an even better idea once 4K TVs are standard. We've had simulated vectors on 1080i/p sets and it's still not quite there.

Regardless, because of economics, HDMI output on plug n play games, at least from AtGames, won't be happening this year and maybe not even next. You're generally looking at devices in the $80+ range to get that type of output, and the plug n play games only get stocked at big box retailers when they can sell for $40 or less.

... It could have a lot of the regular HuCard games as standard, then some CD or SuperGrafx games as unlockables.

No "unlockables". If you include the game, let me play it at any time.

As much as I like videogames - I suck at most of them. Giving me a game as an unlockable is the same as saying, "Here's a cool game. You can never play it. Ha Ha."