IGNORED

Emulators

Shift838

yes, http://www.js99er.net/ would be my choice too, if online-connection is given

I could imagine that the Mess runs. There should be no risk to test that,

as there is no real installation needed. Just unpacking some files.

If you are not so experienced with "installing" the Mess, I could give you a ZIP-file,

fully configured for TI and Geneve, that you only have to unpack on a seperate folder on your drive, ready to run. (64bit, right ?)

Just let me know.

Ralf

Keep in mind that windows RT is for ARM CPU's, so a standard windows binary will not work. I'd be surprised if MESS had any problems compiling for the target though.

If you compile it yourself, MESS and ti99sim should work, and Classic99 might (not sure how many of the old win32 style APIs Classic99 uses are available on win RT).

Js99er might work, if your device is fast enough, and you the version of IE that is installed on it supports the needed HTML/js stuff (which is not a given, as win RT comes with an older version of IE, if I remember correctly...)

• Like 1

The Bay Trail is an Atom (x64 CPU) and really not a slouch processor when it comes down to it. I have an older Atom which is a good bit less powerful running a Solaris server out in the middle of nowhere, and compiling software is blindingly fast. I have an eight-inch Windows 8.1 tablet with a similar CPU and it runs surprisingly well. Where we run into problems with these beasties is the storage: using flash it should be nice and crisp, but you take a performance kick to the gonads using eMMC. Even so, that should not generally impact emulation.

My Vani Indian Bay Trail-T Z3770 tablet with Windows 8.1 run Mess great. I've got a case with a bluetooth keyboard for it and I love it.

Gazoo

That machine is running Windows 8.1 on an Intel chip. The Windows 8 RT family (now deceased) runs on ARMv7 chips and cannot run any regular Windows software. The only software Windows 8 RT machines can run is software that was compiled for them and distributed through the Windows store. The Win8 RT crowd cannot run Intel software. From my perspective, Win8 RT was Microsoft's attempt at creating an tablet OS like Apple's iOS. iOS is also not compatible with MacOS.

The Bay Trail is an Atom (x64 CPU) and really not a slouch processor when it comes down to it. I have an older Atom which is a good bit less powerful running a Solaris server out in the middle of nowhere, and compiling software is blindingly fast. I have an eight-inch Windows 8.1 tablet with a similar CPU and it runs surprisingly well. Where we run into problems with these beasties is the storage: using flash it should be nice and crisp, but you take a performance kick to the gonads using eMMC. Even so, that should not generally impact emulation.

That machine is running Windows 8.1 on an Intel chip. The Windows 8 RT family (now deceased) runs on ARMv7 chips and cannot run any regular Windows software. The only software Windows 8 RT machines can run is software that was compiled for them and distributed through the Windows store. The Win8 RT crowd cannot run Intel software. From my perspective, Win8 RT was Microsoft's attempt at creating an tablet OS like Apple's iOS. iOS is also not compatible with MacOS.

I don't care what it's running on, how, or why. I'm glad it works. My wife got me a great tablet for Christmas that I love. I can lay in bed and surf the internet, work on my TI with MESS, or watch Game of Thrones. Me Be Happy. :)

Gazoo

I have a MS Surface 2so I think I have plenty of processing power. I have tried the current compiled version of MESS and it's not compatible.

Can we get one that is compiled for the ARM ?

I am not a programmer, but... I doubt that we will see a compiled version of MAME/MESS for the ARM for Windows 8 RT. There are 2 build targets in MAME/MESS for Windows - x86 & X64. These are built using mingw gcc and have libraries that produce Intel binaries. I don't believe there is a way to produce Windows ARM binaries with gcc as that would require Microsoft libraries that were not open. MESS could compile (SDL)MESS for ARMv7 which is used for all the non-Windows builds (Linux, MacOS, BSD). But the resulting binaries would only run on the Linux variant of ARM.

Windows RT was a strange beast!