IGNORED

The Greatest ColecoVision Controller Ever Created

Hannacek

Never understood the anti-ergonomics of the NES pad's square corners, to dig into your hands after extended play sessions. Even Coleco got it right by rounding off the edges of their controllers.

This! I actually had to wrap my NES gamepad with paper towel sheets and taped it with vinyl tape just to make it more confortable to hold for long periods of time.

And...you can easily plug in a Sega gamepad (or any Atari controler) in the CV's controller port and use the 2nd ColecoVision controler's keypad for starting games.

(Does anyone know Atari joysticks can be used on a CV Flashback?)

Once the original controller is taken out of the equation the system looses its appeal. If you can't use the original controller whether modded or original then don't play the system or save your money and play an emulator.

• Like 1

Once the original controller is taken out of the equation the system looses its appeal. If you can't use the original controller whether modded or original then don't play the system or save your money and play an emulator.

For me, this statement holds very true. I own just about every 3rd party controller that was made for the ColecoVision in the 80's, tried compatible controllers and own or have owned almost every Homebrew controller that has been made or modded for the CV and absolutely nothing feels right to me besides using the Coleco made controller in it's original state or modded with a ballknob.

I wouldn't go so far as to say save your money and play an emulator seeing that it's important to have new people joining the ranks of CV ownership and supporting the Homebrewers and Modders, but don't be so quick to give up using the controller and don't let your initial experience with the controller sway your feelings about the system as a whole. It's got a lot of great legacy titles and even better Homebrews with many more coming.

• Like 1

For me, this statement holds very true.

There we go! These 2 guys, both highly prominent members of the ColecoVision community, have said no one should use anything but the original controllers. Anyone not wanting or able to use the original controllers should just use emulation. Discussion over.

That's right. Everyone using anything other than an original controller should stop *now*.

Since you are all now done with the ColecoVision because of your failure to be purists who only use the original controllers, I will dutifully take all of those unused ColecoVision systems and custom controllers off your hands for [*cough*] proper disposal.

There we go! These 2 guys, both highly prominent members of the ColecoVision community, have said no one should use anything but the original controllers. Anyone not wanting or able to use the original controllers should just use emulation. Discussion over.

That's right. Everyone using anything other than an original controller should stop *now*.

Since you are all now done with the ColecoVision because of your failure to be purists who only use the original controllers, I will dutifully take all of those unused ColecoVision systems and custom controllers off your hands for [*cough*] proper disposal.

I think you are reading into my statement concerning Yurkie's post a bit too deeply. As I stated, "for me" makes it a very personal opinion, one that I have developed over close to 33 years of owning a CV and ADAM and using Coleco's much maligned controller in it's original and modded states. By all means, it may not be the controller of choice for others and everyone should test the waters to find the best solution possible for themselves as there are numerous options.

One thing I will not refrain from doing however is to not pass on some personal experience and opinions that I have especially when it means it could save someone some hard earned cash.

BTW, if you are going to quote a post of mine, don't pick a choose what you quote... that's a very old trick.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 3

I think you are reading into my statement concerning Yurkie's post a bit too deeply. As I stated, "for me" makes it a very personal opinion, one that I have developed over close to 33 years of owning a CV and ADAM and using Coleco's much maligned controller in it's original and modded states. By all means, it may not be the controller of choice for others and everyone should test the waters to find the best solution possible for themselves as there are numerous options.

One thing I will not refrain from doing however is to not pass on some personal experience and opinions that I have especially when it means it could save someone some hard earned cash.

BTW, if you are going to quote a post of mine, don't pick a choose what you quote... that's a very old trick.

I always appreciate and respect your input on matters of the CV variety. I have thought about getting a bunch of homebrew controllers, but I realized I love Yurkie's modded controllers, so I don't really need anything else. I can save the hundreds of dollars and put it toward some more exciting homebrews.

• Like 1

I always appreciate and respect your input on matters of the CV variety. I have thought about getting a bunch of homebrew controllers, but I realized I love Yurkie's modded controllers, so I don't really need anything else. I can save the hundreds of dollars and put it toward some more exciting homebrews.

Thanks Wisp.

The sad thing about retrogaming is that for the most part, a very large most part, we don't have the opportunity to try before we buy and returning a product is usually not an option unless defective. I, too, appreciate when people share there opinions and experiences and I take them as such, knowing full well that mine may vary, but at least I will have some food for thought when deciding to make a purchase.

• Like 2

The ColecoVion controller just sucks less than most of the other 3rd party controllers that were designed for the ColecoVision.

That said, there are many great alternatives to the ColecoVision controller.

Edit: and yes, I'll use whichever one I want. ;)

Edited by 5-11under
  • Like 3

I understand the advantages of using the original controller, and also the advantages of using an alternative controller. I use both. But I can't understand why you would want to modify the original controller. You either like the original controller, or hate it, but you should take it or leave it, and not make it into a Frankenstein's monster. Once you start straightening out the telephone style cord, or replacing the buttons with better switches, or putting on a ball knob, you destroy what makes the original controller unique and distinctive. You are not having the authentic ColecoVision experience when you modify the original controller. It's ok if you want to admit your not having the authentic experience, and substitute the controller, but don't pretend you are by modifying the original controller.

The only modification one should do to the original controller is something like an extension cable, or champ adapter, which in no way modifies the original controller.

Edited by Hannacek

I understand the advantages of using the original controller, and also the advantages of using an alternative controller. I use both. But I can't understand why you would want to modify the original controller. You either like the original controller, or hate it, but you should take it or leave it, and not make it into a Frankenstein's monster. Once you start straightening out the telephone style cord, or replacing the buttons with better switches, or putting on a ball knob, you destroy what makes the original controller unique and distinctive. You are not having the authentic ColecoVision experience when you modify the original controller. It's ok if you want to admit your not having the authentic experience, and substitute the controller, but don't pretend you are by modifying the original controller.

The only modification one should do to the original controller is something like an extension cable, or champ adapter, which in no way modifies the original controller.

As a guy who's been using controllers with Yurkie's ball knobs for a few years, I want to go on record as one who totally disagrees with you. The ball knob just makes the controller better, plain and simple, and that makes for a better gaming experience. Anyone who shares you view on the subject is just cheating themselves out of a good thing.

• Like 1

I would challenge anyone to say this is not the "Greatest ColecoVision Controller Ever Created". It does what no other ColecoVision controller has ever done, combine the best alternate ColecoVision controller, with the full functionality of the original ColecoVision controller.

OK, I'll say it...

Too many wires and the ergonomics aren't that great.

I still prefer my modified Jaguar-to-Colecovision Pad. Simple, ergonomic, one wire and full functionality of the original CV controller.

Just sayin'

OK, I'll say it...

Too many wires and the ergonomics aren't that great.

I still prefer my modified Jaguar-to-Colecovision Pad. Simple, ergonomic, one wire and full functionality of the original CV controller.

Just sayin'

:lol: Yeah, but it's still a gamepad!!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought two controllers from Hannacek. I really like them, he does a wonderful job with them.

The default colecovision controller hurts my thumb after a while. My thumb's knuckle actually starts hurting specifically from bending it in that angle. Perhaps I just have long fingers, so it might be different for others.

I do like a joystick for a game like pac-man, and Hannacek sells a Nintendo NES advantage modded controller.

So thanks for making these, I'm really pleased.

And to pixelboy, I LOVE your homebrews, please keep on making them too!

• Like 1