IGNORED

HSC12 Round 7: Sheer Balloonacy

Sheer Balloonacy

An extended balloon based theme round to spice things up here in the HSC including a couple from the games list... play as many games as you like, some are quick, some are tricky, most are fun! Several have been played before but there are a couple of new ones in the mix. We'll return to a single game next round ;)

Downloads:

I've created an ATR with all the games on - any problems let me know

HSC12-R7-Sheer-Balloonacy.atr

Checkout atarimania, fandal or atarionline.pl for more info and versions of the games

The Games:

Pooyan - score capped to 250,000 post # of lives remaining if you get this far. [Esc = pause]

Bonus point for highest score on first man

pooyan.png

Clowns and Balloons - score capped to 100,000 on each of the three skill levels. Post # of lives remaining if you get this far as they will be added to the score (max for each game 100,004) Press P to toggle paddle or joystick [Esc = pause] [select = Skill level]

clowns_and_ballons.png

Pinhead - Great game with a soul destroying tune! Master running into balloons and kicking them to prevent them landing. Risky but kick the crabs back up to get more points on top of your stack! [Extra man every 20k]

Bonus point for highest score on first man.

Bonus HSC point for settting new HSC record [trbb's 145,145]

pinhead.png

Balloonacy - BASIC goodness, made into an XEX file! Decent Pinhead style game. Press fire to bash a balloon back up.

Bonus HSC point for setting new HSc record [cebus capucinis' 10,830]

balloonacy.png

Crazy Clown Jumper - Great game, tricky at first. Get across and get back for the level bonus! Fire with L/R to jump or diagonal Up/L/R for big jumps. Drop down by walking off L/R. Hint: Jump on an off the platforms. Doesn't show score for long at end of go. Instructions

Bonus HSC point for settting new HSC record [scalak 6,600]

crazy_clown_jumper.png

Duck Arrow Balloon - The wildcard; so we'll see how it plays! It's... OK! Fire to flap (hold it in), U/D to angle your duck and avoid things while bursting the balloons.

duck_arrow_balloon.png

Up Up and Away - and one for some punishment; the game is painfully slow but it gets mixed reviews. A relaxing balloon ride awaits! Play on "practice" (default - shows as level 1), looks like it levels up nicely. Press fire to drop sand onto the targets "P" for extra points. Hint: drop multiple sandbags when you are on target!

up_up_and_away.png

Tournament Scoring: for each game 7pts for 1st place, 6pts for 2nd, 5pts for 3rd and 4th..., Bonus point for most games won and highest total points scores for all the games combined. Checkout the tables on Post #2 for details. HSC points will be allocated for the overall positions (depending on how many players we get this might be a double scoring round).

Round NOW ends: Thursday 21st May 10AM UK time

If anyone missed any previous rounds feel free to post scores for those too

POP IN AND PLAY :)

Edited by therealbountybob
More info added as we go...

The Final Tables

will try and keep these up to date!

jpg format - hope everyone can view these?!

After opening one you should be able to use the cursor keys to view another.

post-19705-0-79195400-1432284977_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-17202100-1432223304_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-58429200-1432223310_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-51570700-1432223316_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-82648600-1432230609_thumb.jpg

please check your scores ;)

Edited by therealbountybob
Updated

I've created an ATR with all the games on - any problems let me know

Thanks for making the ATR with all of the games on it. I like the idea of using this disk for all players. It means that we'll all be playing the exact same versions of each game. I tested the ATR image on my real NTSC Atari 130XE using the 8Mb AtariMax flashcart. All games worked (at least started and let me play one life) except "Pooyan." "Pooyan's" attract screen began fine. When I pressed start everything seemed to go okay, but when the game began there was some garbage displayed at the top of the screen, and the game immediately froze and there continious "buzz;" I couldn't get past this point. This could have just be an incompatiblity with the flashcart; I'm not sure. This is not a problem, as I'll find versions of all of these games for the AtariMax without trouble

Of all the games this round, I look forward to playing "Pooyan" the most. I grew up playing the game on my C64; it really was one of my all-time favorites back in the 80s. I never saw the arcade version until I started it up once in MAME quite some years back and was shocked to see the game is vertically oriented. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7iN_OHQ3ig

I've tried the Atari version of "Pooyan" before, but I didn't care for it. It's not a bad game at all, it's just that I am so used to the C64 version. This round will change all that. With any luck, the Atari 8-bit version of "Pooyan" will become my preferred version for play in the future.

One last thing. This round has special meaning for me. Every year I attend the world's largest hot air balloon event. In the course of just a couple of hours I'll watch about five-hundred balloons lift off; it's amazing! This event takes place right here in town, just a few miles from my house. I'm referring to the "International Balloon Fiesta." You can read more about it here:

http://www.balloonfiesta.com/

I absolutely love going to the Fiesta; it's a tradition! On just about any morning of the year, I can look west and see some hot air balloons. Would it be okay if I posted a few personal pictures of hot air balloons that I've taken over the years at the Fiesta?

Adam

• Like 1

HI Adam, (not that adam the other one!) sure post away, nice to hear from anyone about their other interests and the odd plug is fine! So the question is "is there an Atari Balloon?"

Our Pooyan is fun but just too easy - they did a good job fitting it into the screen height but the game dishes out extra men constanty has some scoring inconsistencies and doesn't get any harder after a number of rounds (that's why we have the score cap, same for Clowns and Balloons - yes even on Expert!)

If you find another version of Pooyan (atarionline.pl) (that works from the mydos/mypicodos disk) let me know and I'll update it.

Tickled_Pink - we can run the round a few more days if that helps :)

Made a start on a couple of the games...

Pinhead: 1st Man 6,905

Total 14,340 very rusty

Up Up & Away 62 171 513

I was a but unkind to Up Up and Away so I've edited the comments, after playing the game it is fairly relaxing - especially after 2 weeks of Blue Max :-o

:)

Completed my first goes on each game - shock there all ok!!!

Pinhead: 1st Man 6,905

Total 14,340 very rusty

Up Up & Away 62 171 513

Balloonacy 1,756 (5)

Clowns and Balloons (beginner) 19,770

Duck Arrow Balloon... Pterodactl?!!! interesting but too many lives me thinks 271

Pooyan: 1st Man 6,000

Total 219,500 damn it didn't make the 250K cap. This was about round 10 so by then you've just about seen eveything the game has to offer

Crazy Clown Jumper - really nice game 1500 (3), 2000 (4)

If players can post a list of all their scores from time to time it will help me not miss anything thanks ;)

Clowns and Balloons - 44500 (beginner), 22810 (advanced), 14690 (expert)

post-19239-0-82261300-1430436358_thumb.jpgpost-19239-0-40289900-1430436363_thumb.jpgpost-19239-0-06903400-1430436368_thumb.jpg

Are we playing all three difficulty levels, or should I only advance after I've hit the score cap on an easier level?

Clowns and Balloons is one of my very favorite A8 games - simple, addictive fun - that I think plays well to the 8-bit's hardware strengths. Good use of color and scrolling, and the multi-voice circus music is a joy. Fantastic game. Pleased to see my 30-year-old floppy still works!

• Like 1

Clowns and Balloons - 44500 (beginner), 22810 (advanced), 14690 (expert)

Are we playing all three difficulty levels, or should I only advance after I've hit the score cap on an easier level?

Clowns and Balloons is one of my very favorite A8 games - simple, addictive fun - that I think plays well to the 8-bit's hardware strengths. Good use of color and scrolling, and the multi-voice circus music is a joy. Fantastic game. Pleased to see my 30-year-old floppy still works!

Heh! I was pondering this but ok lets play all three levels. The scoring will reflect the number of lives left when players reach 100K so players may want to focus on this before moving up a level (Select to change skill) ;)

Some fun games here hope everyone will find a couple they enjoy. For me Pinhead and Crazy Clown Jumper are my favourites but I'm looking forward to trying to get through all the levels of Up Up and Away :)

Completed the 100K Clowns and Balloons on Beginner (no lives lost!) scoreboard rolled - I thought it was at 1m... screen shot shows 1 balloon so you know it's not just 140 points!!!

Balloonacy 4,578 round 7 :)

Pooyan being too easy may be more of a PAL issue though constant extra men and not getting any harder is more likely!

Will do first tables tomorrow so we can see what is what :)

post-19705-0-17250400-1430578744_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-23733900-1430578746_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-93944700-1430578747_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-42937500-1430578749_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-67491200-1430578750_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-29907300-1430578752_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-93406300-1430578753_thumb.jpg