IGNORED

Battlesphere Production Question

Rick Dangerous

Especially if you ask the right person that game is still available! Was thinking of contacting the seller to point out the mistake, but thought they wouldn't believe me anyway!

Okay, I'll bite. Who is the right person to ask to buy a reasonably-priced copy of Painter from?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to opening my copy of Gold last night. It's actually a great game! I played through a number of the training missions and the control and radar/weapons systems are very intuitive. Looking forward to sinking some time into this one.

The networking features are cool but it's unlikely i'll ever find someone locally with another copy. Split screen would have been better but oh well. Still very happy with the game!

post-38373-0-66998600-1432128741_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

you can get aircars from http://myatari.com (note this is a repro and not the original).

Air Cars is a bit of a special case. It used to be very hard to find and it did fetch high prices. Today I would still pay significantly more for an original ICD Air Cars than what Bruce is asking for KA Air Cars.

Hang on! What? KA Aircars? I thought Bruce was still selling only the ICD version repos?

I had an original ICD version shrinkwrapped but sold it without playing so never experienced that one. Only have Aircars '94 now but looking for a KA Aircars as i hear its the best version of the lot. And if this is true, then i am looking for 8x KA Aircars carts.

Willard, do you know if Bruce is or will sell the KA versions (again)?? I don't want to shell out for 8 ICD versions if the KA is or will be available...

Hang on! What? KA Aircars? I thought Bruce was still selling only the ICD version repos?

I had an original ICD version shrinkwrapped but sold it without playing so never experienced that one. Only have Aircars '94 now but looking for a KA Aircars as i hear its the best version of the lot. And if this is true, then i am looking for 8x KA Aircars carts.

Willard, do you know if Bruce is or will sell the KA versions (again)?? I don't want to shell out for 8 ICD versions if the KA is or will be available...

I just got aircars from Bruce, its the ICD version not KA as far as I can tell

I believe the rights to the KA version are owned by someone else, Betaphase games apparently, the people who put out Hot Dog and Relief pitcher for the Lynx, it's currently sold out and not in production:

http://betaphasegames.com/Jaguar_KA_Aircars.html

And yes I'd like to track down a copy myself someday too, looks good.

Edited by travistouchdown

It's amazing how often that happens. I was watching a used Aircars on ebay thinking I might get a deal on it, and it went for like $114 or so. So I just called Bruce and got a brand new copy for $74. You'd think if you cared enough about the Jag to spend that kind of money you would do your research and due diligence when tracking down games..

In the case of Aircars, there are 4 different versions, The original ICD release, B&C release, Aircars '94 limited release and KA Aircars limited release (this one was definitely only 100) and then the KA Aircars proto-type.

Traditionally the ICD version is the most expensive released version, and the B&C the cheapest and still in production.

None are compatible with each other for networking (so in that case B&C is the easiest and cheapest version to get multiple copies), and the KA versions are the only true final-editions, the others including the "official" ICD are all betas at various stages.

So, it really depends if what version the $114 one was as to whether it's worth it. Basically the Midnite software/ICD publishing deal fell through so Midnite never sent the final build to ICD for publication. ICD had a vested interest in seeing it published due to catbox production and needing a game to sell for use with it. ICD felt they had the right to release it anyway, so released the last beta build they got. B&C had a order they payed for but never received from ICD, so they felt they had a right to publish and released their own beta, not sure if they got their hands on an earlier or later build to ICD's. The limited Aircars '94 was released by individuals in the community and is the earliest build released, the released KA version was released by Team Jaguar with permission from B&C for what ever that's worth.

Edited by Gunstar

I just got aircars from Bruce, its the ICD version not KA as far as I can tell

I believe the rights to the KA version are owned by someone else, Betaphase games apparently, the people who put out Hot Dog and Relief pitcher for the Lynx, it's currently sold out and not in production:

http://betaphasegames.com/Jaguar_KA_Aircars.html

And yes I'd like to track down a copy myself someday too, looks good.

I used to own the ICD Aircars and now own the KA version released by Team Jaguar/Betaphase games and it is the true final build and is much better than the others. I want multiple copies myself for networking and refuse to settle for all the other unfinished versions for networking after seeing how great KA is in comparision. It's jump in quality like Hover Strike cart to CD.

• 9 months later...

Bump.

The Betaphase games website no longer seems to work :(

I wonder if is anyone around with the details / permission to release KA Aircars, and whether they'd consider another run. I gather that the original 100 took a while to sell (I wasn't paying attention at the time otherwise I'd have grabbed a couple), but with renewed interest in the Jaguar, I suspect another 100 or even 200 wouldn't last long. Personally I'd grab two for the networking aspect.

I'd love Battlesphere Gold to be re-released too (and the Scatbox) but I don't think it'll happen. Ever. A shame really. It's obviously more feasible to make Jaguar carts now than when they ceased production. They could sell a stack of them at $150 IMHO. Even though I own an original, I'd probably buy two.

Serby: I have one and there's another one local too. So there's a four player network we could set up one day ;)

Serby: I have one and there's another one local too. So there's a four player network we could set up one day ;)

Noted! ;) I also have 2 CatBox's, a ScatBox and a ScatBox Deluxe so 4-P Battlesphere LAN is good to Go!

Funny thing is, the rarest thing for our 4-Console Battlesphere LAN is actually getting together from different states! :lol:

• Like 1

A reprint of KA Aircars would be great. The B&C/ICD version is a little weak but you can tell the game was headed in the right direction with some more polish. It's too bad the best version only has 100 copies floating around.. Anyone know who has the source code?

Don't know if anyone has the source code? Willard is part of beta phase games, maybe he can answer the question. If they're no longer interested in doing another KA run then I'd be happy to step in and run some. I still have a load of Aircars box sets available so could just put them in one nice package. Not doing it if I'm gonna step on anybody's toes though
  • Like 2

A reprint of KA Aircars would be great. The B&C/ICD version is a little weak but you can tell the game was headed in the right direction with some more polish. It's too bad the best version only has 100 copies floating around.. Anyone know who has the source code?

I'm spewing i missed out on ordering a copy of KA Aircars! Also wished i experienced ICD Aircars before i passed it on some years back (it was sealed so i didn't want to open it beforehand). So only version i still have and played is AirCars '94. i actually like it and want to get the other versions to network, preferably KA.

nobody that i know of has the source to Aircars... Otherwise I'm sure we'd see functional network code appearing in other homebrews :P Maybe Doug or Scott have it, I don't recall them discussing their involvement in Midnite Software or Aircars much.

we have plans to do reprints of some of our releases, if people want them. Currently I'm working on getting our site back online with some new content (eta is within a month, as most of the work is done now and due to my current schedule there is a specific date I need to have things ready by)... also we'll actually have some stuff in stock when it's back up too! :)

Edited by Willard
  • Like 2

I recall attempting to network doom back in high school (I actually had a friend who had a copy of Doom and a Jaguar :P) and we couldn't get more than a minute or two into the game without it crashing. It really sucked.

Funny that the manual indicates the game should just restart, which isn't what happened at all. It really shouldn't have gotten QA approval.

Network Error ------------- Due to the high data transfer rate between Jaguars while playing Co-op or Deathmatch Doom, and the interference caused by playing a game taking place in hell, you and your friend will see the message, "NETWORK ERROR" displayed once in a while. The game will place the two players at random locations in the area that was being played and gameplay will continue as usual. This allows the two machines to resynchronize the high-speed data transfer communication between the players. These errors should not be considered a faulty Jaguar or cartridge.

The DOOM networking code suffers from instability because of the hardware bug in the serial port.

I figured out a workaround nearly 9 years ago but AFAIK nobody ever used it.

I guess there's no interest in networking for homebrew games.

I don't think it's a fair assessment to say there's no interest in networking for homebrew games! I think a lot of people would like to see it. But that's up to the homebrew devs.

Thunderbird claimed he had patched Doom with his/Scotts network code. Any chance anyone has used your workaround to do the same? I know, it was one of the first questions asked in that thread but it's been awhile :P

Edited by Willard

I don't think it's a fair assessment to say there's no interest in networking for homebrew games! I think a lot of people would like to see it. But that's up to the homebrew devs.

Thunderbird claimed he had patched Doom with his/Scotts network code. Any chance anyone has used your workaround to do the same? I know, it was one of the first questions asked in that thread but it's been awhile :P

Before Rush did he's vanishing act with Heretic he did talked about having the Doom networking bug fixed but anyway! :ponder:

Edited by walter_J64bit