IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

Hey, I mentioned this in the arcade sub-forum, but another poster recommended posting it here too...

Aaaaaaanyhoo, Inky and I just started a new arcade game podcast, called...Pie Factory Podcast! (That's for those of you who have such a short memory that you've forgotten what the subject of this thread is.) Every episode we will discuss two (2) arcade games with a common theme and reminisce about our memories of playing said games, and offer some strategies and other observations. We don't get so much into the technical details or deep in the history -- we leave that to No Quarter -- but we try to touch on the other stuff.

Episode "zero" is up now on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/pie-factory-podcast/id988509945). in this episode we just basically introduce ourselves, shoot the breeze, and explain why we're doing the podcast in the first place. Just a warning about the content -- some of the stuff we talk about is a bit on the "that's so five minutes ago" side, but that's because we recorded it almost four weeks ago and it finally got publicized this weekend.

Last night we recorded episode 1, covering Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong 3, which hopefully will be released on Saturday.

Aaaaaanyhoo, give us a listen, see whatcha think. Show notes page is at flark.it/piefactory

• Like 3

Looks (sounds?) to be a promising pocast. Hosts have great rapport/chemistry, knowledge of subject matter, etc.

Just a few quibbles that you are (or will be) made aware of re: background noise & outdated impersonations. Humor feels a bit forced as well. Subscribed & eager to hear more.

BTW I hope Vic Sage goes 2 games on his new show like you guys. Less than a half-hr runtime per ep. doesnt do it for me.

• Like 2

Yeah, I...uhh....forgot to close the door, and when I applied compression I realized you could hear my wife in the next room. :/ ...and didn't notice until the podcast was actually published.... (FTR, I do apologize for that in Episode 1, to be published soon. :) )

We're going to keep ours as close to an hour (without going over) as possible, for various reasons I won't get into right now...

Edited by Dauber
  • Like 2

Lol thats hilarious, I was going to write "next time close the door" as a joke! :) It did make me laugh at one point:

Host: "wait, so Rick Ferguson is also Eric Ferguson?"

Wife in other room, other conversation: "Yeah. Yeah."

Oh BTW you'll need a computer voice on the show if you wanna fit in around here. ;)

Edited by RJ
  • Like 3

I KNOW, MAN!!!!!! I noticed that!! heh!!! BTW, sorry about that you-had-to-be-there stuff...long story short, Rick Ferguson was the program director at the radio station I worked for back when I thought I wanted a career in radio. Many years after I left that station, Inky [Jim] happened to land a weekend gig there and many of the people I used to work with there were either still there or there again.

BTW, Chris++ -- yeah, we know, it's a cement factory, but we thought "pie factory" sounded a bit more snarky. :)

• Like 1

Ha yeah I trained in radio broadcasting 20 yrs ago, at Brown Institute in Minneapolis, maybe youve heard of it. I was first in my class to get my demo tape out the door but never got into it, due to several discouraging factors- pay being one of them! Also the lack of job security due to the volatile nature of the radio biz, the near-nomadic lifestyle of the on-air talent.

Anyway, learned some stuff from your show about the CV ADAM version of DK. I had the Atari 8-bit cart with all 4 screens, but it wasnt a big deal, since if you do the Pie Factory right, you're not on it very long anyway like you said.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

The weird thing is that my political podcast features "Ric" Ferguson as one of my co-hosts, and it gets replayed on Sunday at noon on touhyville.com. Steve Touhy was one of my bosses when I was in radio.

As for the impersonations.. Well, I do Butt-Head well. My most recent one is Spongebob.

Guys IDK if you can fix this, but I subscribe thru iTunes, & iyour show auto downloads, but when it completes, it starts re-downloading again...over & over.

For now, I can just Unsub, then re-subscribe, as my ipod autograbs the latest episode of a podcast. But if this problem is on your end, I'd appreciate a fix.

Hmm...thanks for the warning. it DL'ed fine for me this morning, but I'll look into it. What version of iTunes, and what OS?

I DO know that when I published (it was done via Wordpress) I forgot to tag the post; that might have something to do with it. I did go back and re-add the tag.

Edited by Dauber

My favorite imitation: "Current Casey Kasem." :D

It's great hearing you two shoot the s**t, after only reading you for thirteen years. You have great chemistry, as old pals do; this is going to be an awesome show. Please keep making it!

(I could kick myself -- I forgot to request a bidet back in January when I turned 43. So far, the year just hasn't been all it could have, without that annual Inky image.)

• Like 1

Great first official episode! I enjoy the stories, memories of first game sightings / experiences, and slightly obscure trivia (the music sources, etc.). You two can converse naturally, so you're exploiting that, and having some fun discussions. I'm happy to hear that you allow yourselves to take related tangents -- i.e. mentioning some of Coleco's best 2600 conversions. That's how people really talk! It slightly bugs me when other podcasters force themselves to stop a naturally flowing conversation. "Well, we're getting off the topic, here..." So what? It's the worst when hosts do that to interview subjects. Rude as hell.

Anyway, excellent job. Simply for your reference, here's a cool tip that applies to most Donkey Kong ROM sets: During a Girders level, if you climb far enough up any ladder to place your hand just over the top of the girder, barrels will never roll down that ladder.

• Like 2

RJ -- according to the folks on ilounge.com, it sounds like this is more an issue with the podcast app than anything else. Wish I could help you more. :(

In the mean time, though, our new episode should be up! I think we really hit something with this one; I was very happy with out it turned out. Show notes not up yet as far as I know, but it's up on iTunes...or will be very soon.

Chris, Dauber and I have been friends in rl for what.. 20 years now?

July 25, 1992 was the day we met. Winger War in West Park. My first Winger War, I believe. Don't remember who won, but I remember another friend of ours got me somewhere special with a water balloon from about 100 yards away. (Funny thing, though....didn't hurt at all...thing burst immediately upon contact. No pain, just a lot of water.)

• Like 1