IGNORED

The Music Machine Prototype

Steve_4511

Here's the two games I have where the colored box showed up best in the photo. I have others were I can see the colored box, but the camera didn't pick up on it.

post-3056-0-83477500-1430341172_thumb.jpg

post-3056-0-62404800-1430341157_thumb.jpg

This one you can't see the box, but you can see that it's shifted slightly upward as there's a little bit of yellow in the descenders of the two Gs and the P in game program.

post-3056-0-63844600-1430341187_thumb.jpg

So it was not printed white/yellow on black, but black on white, yellow. Is that normal?

I don't know what process they used, but I think what's up is:

• Start with a white (or silverish) label
  • Black printed on label, all lettering shows thru as the white.
  • Colored ink applied as a square/rectangle in the area below game program and above the Atari logo. The white lettering in that area takes on the color. I assume they did this so they could use the same colored ink application for all game labels.
  • The colored ink is difficult to see when printed over the black, so most people never noticed it.
  • The colored ink acts as a "sun screen", preventing the black ink behind it from fading when exposed to light.

• Colored ink applied as a square/rectangle in the area below game program and above the Atari logo. The white lettering in that area takes on the color. I assume they did this so they could use the same colored ink application for all game labels.
  • The colored ink is difficult to see when printed over the black, so most people never noticed it.
  • The colored ink acts as a "sun screen", preventing the black ink behind it from fading when exposed to light.

Can anyone tell me how much the prototype Music machine is worth?

Can anyone tell me how much the prototype Music machine is worth?

Like Wonder said, it needs to be confirmed as a prototype. If you can open it up and take a picture of the board inside, that will help the process. It's easy to fake a prototype. We're not saying you're involved, of course, but when several hundred -- or, in some cases, thousands -- of dollars are involved, fakes are bound to pop up.

In addition, the boards inside often have handwritten stickers on the chips for true prototypes, so a picture will go a long way.

I'd also suggest downloading Stella (the best emulator for the Atari 2600) along with a ROM of Music Machine and playing it, and then seeing if your copy is any different.

If the game is indeed a prototype, like someone else said, I could see this going for a lot of money. However, you'll never get it -- either on here or on EBay -- unless you confirm it. That's a involved process, which people here are trying to help you out with. :)

Yeah it must be something with the way the text is printed onto the labels. The fading always occurs in funny boxes around the text. Sears text labels are the worst in this regard.

I would talent the following guess: I think the fading may have more to do with the glue and glueing process underneath. I work with adhesive backed prints all the time in my daily business....every type of adhesive reacts differently to sun fading. In this case, a glueing machine likely was set up to apply more glue to the center of the label...less at the edges. This would reduce the amount of excess glue which escaped the edges when the machine roller came down to firmly affix the printed label. When the roller runs over the label, it (in theory) should disperse the glue from the center to the edges of the label. Typically it does work...just not as well as one would hope. Instead, it does spread the glue out, but still leaves a major concentration of glue in the center. Less glue underneath = less sun bleaching in the center...that's my guess.

I would talent the following guess: I think the fading may have more to do with the glue and glueing process underneath.

I'm not discarding your experience with adhesives, but it seems odd that Atari would have used 2 different adhesives to apply the label.

I color enhanced my Space Invaders and the colored ink box perfectly matches the faded pattern on Steve's cartridge:

post-3056-0-25327500-1430408614_thumb.jpg

post-3056-0-68817500-1430408621_thumb.jpg

Of note, you can see "bumps" in the color & fade pattern directly above ac and nv in the text space invaders. Also note how the top-right color & fade pattern slopes slightly upward over the characters aders*

This suggests the ink prevented/decreased the amount of fading of the black behind it.

• Like 1

You are correct. Before digital printing it was necessary to print each color separately. Individual (spot) colors were often printed as a box over previously printed black ink. This worked better than printing the "text' in color as the alignment would not be critical. The color ink on top of the black would cause the unusual fade patterns shown on the OP's Space Invaders cart.

Now, can we see the inside of the Music Machine cart so that we can figure out if this is a total scam or not?

• Like 1

But that doesn't necessarily mean the proto is a fake. Although unless we get a picture of the inside he'll never sell it.

I am the buyer of the game and not the seller of Ebay. I can not open the game. There can be up to half open, this is the limit. The cartridge has a contact on the left side and right side. Can anyone tell me how I can open it? And the statements it was a fake, only whitish currently no image from the inner have, I can not understand this. You are rather beforehand. I try to take a picture. But which one is accused here of having a fake,I can not understand this. Since I can unsubscribe again .

I am the buyer of the game and not the seller of Ebay. I can not open the game. There can be up to half open, this is the limit. The cartridge has a contact on the left side and right side. Can anyone tell me how I can open it?

You need to remove that screw. After that it should just pry apart.

And the statements it was a fake, only whitish currently no image from the inner have, I can not understand this. You are rather beforehand. I try to take a picture. But which one is accused here of having a fake,I can not understand this. Since I can unsubscribe again .

Gotta love Google Translate. :)

The screw I have removed

Then it should just pry apart. It might be glued or something, but with a little force it should open. Sometimes twisting a bit when pulling can help. Try to look inside from underneath and see if there are any tabs holding it together.

The screw I have removed

The information you are receiving is from years of experience from many knowledgeable members. I too agree that Space Invaders is NOT a prototype of any kind. I have numerous games with the exact same fading.

Edited by atari181

The information you are receiving is from years of experience from many knowledgeable members. I too agree that Space Invaders is NOT a prototype of any kind. I have numerous games with the exact same fading.

I never said that Space Invaders is a prototype. Then take a picture of yours .

I never said that Space Invaders is a prototype. Then take a picture of yours .

Looks like you said that in your first message,

"Hi, I 'm from Germany and I have 2 prototypes for the Atari 2600 that I would like to sell. I wanted to sell them on Ebay, but in Germany has no interest there."

..All

• Like 2