IGNORED

Bad Apple, Ultimate SD

playsoft

Steve at Atarimax sent me details on how to load level data from the SD card into the Ultimate's RAM, so that I can keep the 5200 version of my project the same as the A8.

Having seen the VCS Bad Apple thread I was interested in seeing if it could be used for video.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226949-bad-apple-full-motion-video-on-the-2600/?p=3018557

I used one of those websites which downloads youtube videos, ran Phaeron's VirtualDub to split it into .bmp files and then processed those to generate the data for the 5200.

The attached files will only run on a real 5200 with Ultimate SD, it cannot be run under emulation. You will need to unzip the files onto your SD card and run the badapple.bin file which reads from badapple.dat. Note that if you have previously disabled CPU services on the Ultimate SD you will need to enable them for this to run correctly (accessed from the menu when you press * at the cart menu).

Keys:

1..9,0 control the speed, 1 is the slowest, 0 is the fastest.

* = high res window

# = low res full screen

badapple.zip

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I need to see a video as well because running this on my 5200 through my Ultimate SD is sloooooooooooowwwwwww.

Like maybe 2fps running regardless of what speed setting I choose? I did notice that after one playthrough of the video it seemed to speed up a tiny bit and was smoother for a few seconds but then back to sloooooowww again.

Is this demo SD card speed dependent? I'm using the default SD card that came with my Ultimate SD.

At the default speed (2) it takes just over 3 minutes to play the whole video for me. It may well be dependent on the SD card, but I don't think it needs anything extraordinary - I am using one of these which I brought with my groceries:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=274398126

I broke the SD card which came with my Atarimax. Given that I brought it in 2013 and I did not do the bad apple until last year, it's possible I never tried it on the original SD card.

The only camera I have is on my phone, so the attached video isn't great but gives you an idea.

badapple.zip

Nope...it doesn't play anything remotely like that on my 4-port unit here. I will try and grab some video here in a bit of how it loads and plays on my atarimax SD. I just recieved mine at Christmas so I don't know if the SD is older or not.

Update...so...WOW...check this out:

I grabbed a class 10 speed 16gb SDcard I have for my camcorder and loaded just the OS files and bad apple demo files. It actually plays too fast at default speed?!

I then thought of something else. I'm sorta OCD on these multicarts and moved all of my roms into separate folders within the main 5200 folder. I have the bad apple demo files in a folder called Demo Scene. I moved the bad apple demo files to the main folder where the os files are and re-ran it. Guess what happened? yeap...seems to play now at the same speed as your video. So, this video's smoothness is affected by how deep in folders you have it on the SD card of the atarimax. It would also seem it is affected by the speed of the SDcard itself. the 8gb that came with my Atarimax SD is a class 4 card. I might try some other class 4 cards I have like an older Lexar 4gb and a class 6 transcend 4gb I have laying around to see if the demo plays differently on them as well. I will try and get video footage if you would like later?

Update 2...I was wrong. After posting this I got back and find that the demo is playing choppy again on my 5200. So it appears to be SDcard speed dependent after all. Still going to test with some other cards to see. Wonder it might also have to do with how much you have loaded on the SD card.

Update 3... I just tested on 4 different SD cards. Honestly the class speed may not have anything to do with it and it appears that the SD card that came with my Atarimax SD has something off with it. I freshly formatted 2 4gb class 4 sd cards, a 4gb class 6 sd card, and reformatted the 8gb class 4 card that came with my Atarimax SD. No matter where I place the files on the original SD card it will play fine for about the first 20 - 30 sec, and then it begans to get choppy with missing animation. However with the other 3 is appears to play just fine. The only difference in the SD speed is that on the class 6 card, it does load a very tiny bit faster and starts off on the animation too fast but then within a few sec it will seem normal.

Odd as I wouldn't have ever know this without this demo to test all of this with. Thanks for porting it to the 5200 as it is very impressive to see this on such a classic system.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Seeing that video - is something completely unexpected for sure and a nice surprise too.

Makes me think that the Ninja Dancer animation could be done, if someone wants to put in the work to do so. I presume this animation was mimicked to appear to be A8 graphics but was not done on A8 hardware?

Also more could be done with it? Like adding a moving? background maybe.

Harvey

Here is a short 1:30 video I shot of the slowdown from the original SD card that came with my Ultimate SD with the Bad Apple demo. You can see it right from the start...

And here is the full demo on my class 6 SD card. Big difference!

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Update 3... I just tested on 4 different SD cards. Honestly the class speed may not have anything to do with it and it appears that the SD card that came with my Atarimax SD has something off with it. I freshly formatted 2 4gb class 4 sd cards, a 4gb class 6 sd card, and reformatted the 8gb class 4 card that came with my Atarimax SD. No matter where I place the files on the original SD card it will play fine for about the first 20 - 30 sec, and then it begans to get choppy with missing animation. However with the other 3 is appears to play just fine. The only difference in the SD speed is that on the class 6 card, it does load a very tiny bit faster and starts off on the animation too fast but then within a few sec it will seem normal.

Odd as I wouldn't have ever know this without this demo to test all of this with. Thanks for porting it to the 5200 as it is very impressive to see this on such a classic system.

I don't really know anything about SD cards, I just have the one I mentioned before and a 16GB SanDisk Ultra 40MB/s which both play fine.

I did do another video - a play through of Dragon's Lair using the 16 luminance GTIA mode. It's not as effective as Bad Apple but it was an interesting thing to try. I ended up splitting the frame data into a number of smaller files because it was slowing down towards the end. The way the MaxFlash interface works is that you specify the filename, offset and length for each (frame) read. I guess either the seek time increases as the offset gets bigger or there is some sort of caching going on.

lair.zip

Seeing that video - is something completely unexpected for sure and a nice surprise too.

Makes me think that the Ninja Dancer animation could be done, if someone wants to put in the work to do so. I presume this animation was mimicked to appear to be A8 graphics but was not done on A8 hardware?

Also more could be done with it? Like adding a moving? background maybe.

Harvey

It is just a conversion of the music video from youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCaE2CQatF4

The conversion was done on my PC using VirtualDub to split the video into .bmp frames and then a little program to convert them. It works well because it was a pretty good match to start with.