IGNORED

CF Aztecmonster

gozar

You would need the new MIO rom, but looks like this would be a good substitute for the IDE<>SCSI bridge from ACARD. I'm no SCSI expert, but I'd want to investigate further about the forms of SCSI it supports. To me, the "SCSI 3 Available" is a caution flag. All that said, if you try one, do let us know. I'd probably take the gamble, but I already have a couple of the ACARD bridges that work very well with the new rom.

Now the other side of the coin... if you want to use your MIO, I get that, but this device actually costs more than getting a new IDE+2 from Simius. (But then when does money deter us from our hobbies?) ;)

-Larry

• 4 weeks later...

Now the other side of the coin... if you want to use your MIO, I get that, but this device actually costs more than getting a new IDE+2 from Simius. (But then when does money deter us from our hobbies?) ;)

The *real* question is where can you purchase an IDE+2?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The aztecmonster uses the same chip as the Acard, so it probably does work fine with the MIO. Those other two devices you guys linked probably do not.

The MIO is not a full legal implementation of the SCSI standard. Regardless of the updated MIO Firmware, the MIO is missing an actual signal from the SCSI bus that has been the main means of SCSI arbitration since SCSI-II (Actually, even all but the earliest pre-SCSI-II drives depend on it.) The only devices that do work with the MIO are those whose firmware knows how to support a very archaic arbitration scheme that has not been in common use since the earliest days of embedded SCSI. We cannot "fix" the MIO to make it include this additional needed signal without breaking compatability with anything/everything concerning the original MIO.

These guys who have made these "SCSI to SD" solutions using modern programmable logic have almost certainly not bothered to include support for recognition of this ancient/archaic arbitration mode in their design/firmware. I know I wouldn't. Only a handful of devices/controllers that actually called themselves "SCSI" have ever used/depended on that mode of operation.

But.. As alwayze... You never know till you try. Just don't spend a fortune to find out..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

• 9 months later...

Bump...

It's been several months since this thread was active. My Acard seems to be getting a little flakey, so I'm looking at these again. Has anyone gotten one to use with the MIO or Black Box? (Or one of the other Acard replacements?)

-Larry

Right now I bought a scsi2sd board (http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD the V5 model) which works well in my SE/30, and I'm waiting to get my MIO back from MG66 to test the scsi2sd with the MIO.

I know the scsi2sd did not work with the original MIO. (Or at least I couldn't get it to work. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

This may show up as a double post. Clicked "post" and nothing happened.

I did buy a new AztecMonster and it works just like the Acard for the Black Box, including the Antonia 4MB upgrade. Have not tried it yet with the MIO, but I will post the results when I have the MIO out and in use.

-Larry

• Like 1