IGNORED

Question About Intellivision Choplifter

I have a Rom of Intellivision Choplifter that is obviously and incomplete game. You can fly around and shoot tanks, but there are no guys to rescue. Does a full version of this exist in ROM format and is available for download?

I did that and no men were coming out. This must be an incomplete game. Can anyone else confirm this?

Here's what I know -- Choplifter for the Intelivision was being programmed when INTV filed for bankruptcy in 1990 and shut down the following year. The programmer realized he would never get paid, so the game was never finished. Years later, the unfinished ROM of the game was released (or 'leaked' may be better to say) to the online community. A homebrew programmer (sorry, the name escapes me right now) took the unfinished ROM, finished the game, and did a limited print run of the game in CIB format (Complete in Box) last year. That has since sold out and if you want to find it you have to use EBay or other online sources. To the best of my knowledge the finished game was on cart only, never released or sold in ROM format. I wish it had been, cause I'm a big Choplifter fan and would have liked to have played it. And I'm a big advocate of homebrews being released or sold on ROM if allowed after the game has sold out in cart form (but that's a drum I'll beat another day). Looking at the video on YouTube it looks like the programmer did a great job in finishing the game!

• Like 1

I have considered making roms available for purchase but there does not seem to be much interest in this. I will let you all decide if I do this. Donkey Kong Arcade and Ms Pac Man roms sold for $10 each. Which games do you want that you will pay $10 each for? You would get digital images of the manual, overlay, and game. The list is:

Choplifter
King of the Mountain
Ms Night Stalker
Super Pro Tennis

Which ones are you looking for? I would prefer you PM me instead of posting in this thread. If this actually works out, I might release Super Pro Mystic Castle and Super Pro Baseball this way.

• Like 2

I first need to finish Mystic Castle and Super Pro Baseball. I am hoping to finish MC soon but have not had much free time lately.

For those of you interested in ROMs of games Intelligentvision has updated and released, please visit:

http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/orderroms.php

I need to finish up Shark Shark Plus and post it on the order page.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hey Dave,

I want to express appreciation for your decision to do this. I just picked up "Choplifter," one of my favorite games of all time, due to finding this thread. Personally, I would much rather pay the developer an amount that they decide reasonable for a legitimate ROM file to be used in an emulator or flash cart over paying several times that (in many cases) for the cart and materials when, in many cases, what I'm most interested in is showing support for the developers and playing the game. I think you have hit a very good middle ground here and I'm sure I'll be back to pick up more of these games in the not too distant future. :)

Edited by SilvaHaloOne
  • Like 2

Hey Dave,

I want to express appreciation for your decision to do this. I just picked up "Choplifter," one of my favorite games of all time, due to finding this thread. Personally, I would much rather pay the developer an amount that they decide reasonable for a legitimate ROM file to be used in an emulator or flash cart over paying several times that (in many cases) for the cart and materials when, in many cases, what I'm most interested in is showing support for the developers and playing the game. I think you have hit a very good middle ground here and I'm sure I'll be back to pick up more of these games in the not too distant future. :)

Thanks for the support. At the end of the day, it is about enjoying the games and the memories. I hope you enjoy Choplifter.

• Like 2

I have considered making roms available for purchase but there does not seem to be much interest in this. I will let you all decide if I do this. Donkey Kong Arcade and Ms Pac Man roms sold for $10 each. Which games do you want that you will pay $10 each for? You would get digital images of the manual, overlay, and game. The list is:

Choplifter

King of the Mountain

Ms Night Stalker

Super Pro Tennis

Which ones are you looking for? I would prefer you PM me instead of posting in this thread. If this actually works out, I might release Super Pro Mystic Castle and Super Pro Baseball this way.

Ok, but I hope you will release Shark Shark Plus, Super Pro Mystic Castle and Super Pro Baseball even CIB.... :)

Edited by intellivotion
  • Like 3