IGNORED

Opcode Games News - Q2 2015

opcode

My problem with porting in general is really more "make profit with a port". As coder, if somebody take my code or my binary without my permission to produce something and make money with , i really won't like that....

In addition to the fact that there is no interrest for me to have the exact same game on coleco that i have already on MSX. But i understand that US people don't have easy access to MSX so it is interresting for them, i agree.

Do you think opcode will like , if one day he release DK Arcade on colecovision and that somebody port it (before him and without his agreement) to MSX and sell it ?

I think the games being ported are always from the 1980's, all other recent games are being done with permission of owner like the Pixelboy new line-up for Christmas.

In fact I think he asked for permission for porting The Cure (a Castlevania) and Uridium but the developers didn't want it ported nor wanted to do it themselves.

Given the community is so small, it looks like a non-written rule says "no ports of homebrew without permission" and I think that's good :)

• Like 1

I think the games being ported are always from the 1980's, all other recent games are being done with permission of owner like the Pixelboy new line-up for Christmas.

In fact I think he asked for permission for porting The Cure (a Castlevania) and Uridium but the developers didn't want it ported nor wanted to do it themselves.

Given the community is so small, it looks like a non-written rule says "no ports of homebrew without permission" and I think that's good :)

So DK being a game for 80's , DKA for coleco being a port of that Game , i assume they will be no issue if somebody port DKA to MSX. :grin: Or Port of Port is forbidden by the non-written rule? :P :)

hum...just make think i just completed a port for your Mecha 8 to Sharp PC1211 , i forget to ask you the permission! ;)

So.... you want homebrews to cost $20-$30 roughly... but also want Ghosts N Zombies to maintain a crazy artifically high price to appease those who bought it originally... How about make more of those and sell them to the large crowd asking for one, preferably for about $20 each?

DK - game of the 80's.

DKA - game of the 10's. Possibly.

So.... you want homebrews to cost $20-$30 roughly... but also want Ghosts N Zombies to maintain a crazy artifically high price to appease those who bought it originally... How about make more of those and sell them to the large crowd asking for one, preferably for about $20 each?

DK - game of the 80's.

DKA - game of the 10's. Possibly.

I don't want homebrews to cost $20-30 . I'm ready to put 80$ ingames like Mecha 8 , Princess Quest or Bagman . They are great game done from scratch by talentous guys and i know if i pay for that games , reasonable part of the money will go directly to them.

But i don't want pay 50usd for a portage of KnightMare where i'm sure the money won't go the original coder... i'm just ready to give money to the guy that make the box and the cartridge. So 20-30$.

Gnz was sold 50usd and it is not a port. Collectorvision promised to his customer to never produce cart after the 60th copies. That's all. Engagement is an Engagement.

About the crazy price of the game . It just that some people are crazy enough to put such a crazy money in that stupid thing. And i don't touch one penny on that!

And why they are ready to put 800usd in Ghost'n Zombie that is full of bugs and produced to 60 copies (instead of the 25 initially planned!!) , and almost nobody is looking for The way of exploding foot that is lot better and produced only to 50 copies... that's a big mistery for me... and it is not something i wanted.

Anyway the problem of Gnz will be solve soon with Knight 'n More. ;-)

Then the evilness could transfer to me :evil: and I could port Way of Exploding Foot to MSX! :lol:

if YOU , you port the Way of Exploding Foot to MSX , i will be very proud of that!!!. the God of homebrewer porting himself one of my game !!! it would be incredible!

On the other hand Considering time you will consume to port my game in the same amount of time you could do a lot of better game! ;-)

• Like 1

At the end of the day, a port of a great game is still a great game.... unfortunately nothing can save a mediocre original game of being just that, a bad game.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 8

Maybe it's because I haven't been around this scene long enough to be jaded by the idea of more Colecovision games to complain about it, but I guess I just don't understand why anyone who is into this system would be complaining about MORE games becoming available? As someone who has quite a bit of experience producing some fairly high profile games (Sega Genesis Aladdin, anyone?) and actually getting paid a legit salary to do so, I have some INSANE amount of respect for anyone who is doing that job basically for free and I'm personally "ok" if they decide to make something out of it as well.

Producing a main stream title is an incredible undertaking as your full-time job, I can't even imagine what that must be like doing it as a hobby for a system that hasn't seen a retail shelf in 30 years working with people who are doing this as a passion. I am completely thankful that these people are taking the time to produce games that would never EVER see the light of day.

I look at Team Pixelboy's price list of games, and every one of them seems totally reasonable to me. MSX port or not, I'm happy that there are a large number of games still being produced. And on the flip side of things, no one is forcing anyone to buy the games. So if you're not happy with the price point or the content, simply don't buy them. And if Opcode, Team Pixelboy, Collectorvision, and everyone else making homebrew titles are selling enough copies to make it worth their while, then please continue producing them and I'm happy to be your customer!

And with that, I thank you all.

• Like 9

I think porting a game, however challenging it may be, is literally incomparable to the feat of actually developing the game in the first place. For those who want 'new' games for their CVs, (and can source an SGM) I wish them the best of luck. It sure would be nice to see someone create something that doesn't rely on the code from previous games. That, however, really isn't feasible given the obstacles. So as long as the ports are of good games, then that's the only option left and TPR is right: it's better than nothing.

In terms of IP infringement, if there was nothing done about the Pac Man collection, I highly doubt Nintendo will care about DKA, should it ever see the light of day. I thought that cool sequel DK2 had a lot of potential, a few years back. That would be cool to see on the CV.

To be honest, if it was only an issue of getting an SGM in a reasonable amount of time, I'd have picked one up a long time ago. Teams like pixelboy and some others are in it for the long haul and I'm sure will provide owners with some great ports over the coming years.

PS: wasn't Metal Gear released on the MSX? Could a port of that be played on an SGM?

All I want is Cabnit Arcade games from the 80's to play on my Coleco, do not care if they are homebrew or reproductions. not a problem paying $60 for any of them. Somebody takes the time to produce them and ship them to my door? Count me in. I would love to see and play SGM versions of Ladybug, Kangaroo, Pac-Man just to name a few.

• Like 2

I'm not against ports at all. I own many of the ports done over the past few years. Basically the rights owners or original authors are never going to be interested in doing it so it's not really taking sales away from anyone.

I specifically like Eduardos idea of port actual arcade games using z80 original code and reworking it to colecovision. I'm defiantly very interested in Kangaroo etc.

But I also really support original games made from scratch even if they might not turn out as well as a classic game... but then again they might. There were plently of arcade games that were originals at one time and some of them were mediocre too. I'm always interested in original games Especially if its a colecovision exclusive.

I think my second game will be better than my first and I'll continue to build from there. Coming up with original algorithms to solve problems is one of the most fun things about making an original game that Youki was also getting at. And in the end it's people can vote with their wallets so I appreciate anyone who produces stuff for the colecovision or intellivision or atari .. or sega master system (I heard mecha 8 was being ported by Nanochess)

All I want is Cabnit Arcade games from the 80's to play on my Coleco, do not care if they are homebrew or reproductions. not a problem paying $60 for any of them. Somebody takes the time to produce them and ship them to my door? Count me in. I would love to see and play SGM versions of Ladybug, Kangaroo, Pac-Man just to name a few.

• Like 1

This is a transition year for Opcode Games, we are getting back and capitalizing to start publishing again next year. Our current roadmap for 2015 is:

- Produce 200 regular SGMs (that will effectively double the current installed base)

- Produce 20 SECAM SGMs

- Complete work on 14 3rd party games (half that is already done)

- Clear out existing inventory of old games and prototypes

- Complete work on the Super Game Cartridge

- Resume work on two arcade ports

For next year, as I mentioned in my original post, plans are for 3 games, priced at the usual $40, which we hope you guys will see as a great value, considering what you get (SGC, all offset printed, etc).

• Like 9

This is a transition year for Opcode Games, we are getting back and capitalizing to start publishing again next year. Our current roadmap for 2015 is:

- Produce 200 regular SGMs (that will effectively double the current installed base)

- Produce 20 SECAM SGMs

- Clear out existing inventory of old games and prototypes

- Complete work on the Super Game Cartridge

- Resume work on two arcade ports

For next year, as I mentioned in my original post, plans are for 3 games, priced at the usual $40, which we hope you guys will see as a great value, considering what you get (SGC, all offset printed, etc).

I know that Colectorvision put out a good representation of the MSX version of Galaga.

Are you still working on a Galaga conversion for CV of the actual arcade?

I hope that it's included in the 13 games you mentioned above. Is there still some interest?

I'd like to see it spaced out more vertically like the arcade version.

I'd be the first pre-order for it... Of at least I would try to be.

Thanks for the effort... I can't wait for my SGM to show up.

:)

I would be nice to know what those 14 games are, based on recent threads, there are others converting MSX/Sg-1000 games, it would be a shame if there was multiple people working on the same conversion.

I would be nice to know what those 14 games are, based on recent threads, there are others converting MSX/Sg-1000 games, it would be a shame if there was multiple people working on the same conversion.

Not sure if Eduardo is including Front Line SCE in his count of 14, but Knightmare, Ghostbusters, Mappy, Rally-X, Gauntlet, Secret of the Moai and King & Balloon are the games Eduardo is porting for Team Pixelboy. I believe he's porting a few games for CollectorVision, but it's not my place to tell which ones. ;)

I believe it is better to leave it to the actual publishers to discuss what the 14 games are.

As for arcade ports, yes, Galaga is still on my list. From my tentative release schedule, probably in 2017.

• Like 1

Listening to some 80s pop songs and getting some inspiration. Amazing how something as simple as a song can transport me back and get me in the mood...

And that is why we also like the 80's games to much :)

Actually the real truth is we just want to go back to the 80's cause in that time we were still young, and *COULD* pick up girls :) now its just old woman at 40+ :)

Actually the real truth is we just want to go back to the 80's cause in that time we were still young, and *COULD* pick up girls :) now its just old woman at 40+ :)

I don't think Grazy will agree on that... :P

Anyways, took some time last night to start preliminary work on an unannounced arcade port. Plans are to have it fully ported in about 3 months later this year. Pretty well known classic game from the early 80s...

• Like 3

Anyways, took some time last night to start preliminary work on an unannounced arcade port. Plans are to have it fully ported in about 3 months later this year. Pretty well known classic game from the early 80s...

Phoenix! ;)

• Like 1

Just a question , don't get it bad .

But why you don"t concentrate your effort in completing the work you are in progress than some already people paid for or that have been announced years ago? Like SGM or finalization of Donkey Kong ? And i guess there is also lot other game Pixelboy is waiting for..

Instead of starting to work on an unannounced arcade port.

Ok for SGM , i could imagine you are waiting for components. But Considering the number of games you announced / Started and not completed, why you take a new one?

• Like 2

youki can't you have more than one ball in the air at the same time.

It is as if you only go for Eduardo.

What about Kiwi, Alekmaul, Claus, BFG, Louvet, Girard what about them.

They all Work on more than one game at the time, and no one blame them.

All Works on more than on project at the time, even you, it just can't be like you said.

Eduardo is not lazy, he have publish 6 games via his own label, and more than 20 games, via Pixelboy and J-F.

it is a huge mouthful to have several hundred modules to keep track of, while you also need to program games for an ever-hungry audience.

There's also family to watch out.

Leave it Youki, it is stressful and not motivating.

Thank you. ;) :P :) :-D

• Like 1