IGNORED

Just got my spankin new JagCD!

bender3455

Jag CD flesh out the Jaguar, and if you think Jaguar flesh out your "collection", of abandoned system on your dusty shovels at mom's house while you "wow" again to PS4, then you understand a point about it.

You can understand other things, while not understanding this Jaguar-Jaguar CD improvement, but some mix them together I'm afraid. I'm for an example is really impressed with the humor on other's behalf some of you find funny. Take a good look in the mirror, and ask yourself why you are at this forum.

Probably true, retro all the way! Or, even better, why not the tech standard of early 90s? Let the kids of today play with PS4 and XboxOne, and leave it to that. It's their generation of toys.

Yes, we are all more or less old. Playing Jaguar is conservative, we all are. And yes buy a JagCD. Before it is too late - old timers. You can play Battlemorph on it...

...fall into your taste. Not? Bummer.

(Face palm) I like the eclectic titles on the JagCD that you won't find anywhere else, even if they aren't 5-star quality. Although, the Primal Rage discussion has me wanting to try that one out too and compare it to some of the other versions I've played. It's a shame there weren't any more titles like the Descent-clone that we have on the Jag. I put some seriously long hours into Descent.

• Like 1

Although, the Primal Rage discussion has me wanting to try that one out too and compare it to some of the other versions I've played.

Let me just say that life is short, and your time is probably better spent doing other, more meaningful (or enjoyable) things. Just take it from those who have already bared through the pain and suffering of experiencing that version of PR. (JagChris, where are you?)

• Like 1

Love the Jag CD too. Never thought I would, but I do, out of first hand experience.

I am more of a cartridge guy, always hated cd systems passionately (even though I have Amiga cd32 and Dreamcast) but got the opportunity to buy the JagCD and I have changed my mind concerning old cd systems. It's kind of cool too, today.

It's a very fun add, gives 10+ games and homebrews on top of the 60 carts, I must say I'm very pleased with my purchase. The add-on is like building an extra floor on your house. It gives "extra" to your life. It has a future: games will come more often on CD:s than on carts. And Jag CD is an inner circle to this hobby. Can you really discuss everything about Jaguar if you don't have it, only able to watch the games on it on youtube?

Buy the Jag CD today, of miss out. As I see it, watching ebay, the collecting of the items I got these few month back, is not as lucrative today (for the buyer). In just like 3 months I see all of the items I got are more rare than in January this year. Glad I opened my wallet here, making some fast moves. So get it or miss out on Jaguar's future of homebrews.

The amount of indie developers here at this forum is very large, and they got the skills and the passion to create really cool stuff, and better and better stuff.

all the homebrew, ST ports, new commercial releases for the Jag CD are great, I have more CD titles for the Jag CD than exist with Jag cartridges. But I loved the Jag CD when I first got one for the official releases and VLM anyway. At one point I sold a Jag with my

Jag CD (keeping just a second Jag I had for Doom and Battlesphere networking) and I missed the Jag CD from day one. Once I owned the CD unit the base unit seemed literally to me like half a console. Even though there were only a dozen games for the Jag CD, half of my top ten Jaguar favorites are on CD so without the CD unit, I only have half of my top ten favorites! needless to say I obtained a Jag CD again as soon as I could.

You haven't experienced the true awe inspiring powa of the JagCD attachment until you've blown your hard earned cash on some b/w public domain movies compressed with Cinepak® teknologee. :lol:

LOL. Luckily the tools are all available that with a bit of work anyone can make their own cinepak CD's of whatever source they have (with some format converting of course)

(Face palm) I like the eclectic titles on the JagCD that you won't find anywhere else, even if they aren't 5-star quality. Although, the Primal Rage discussion has me wanting to try that one out too and compare it to some of the other versions I've played. It's a shame there weren't any more titles like the Descent-clone that we have on the Jag. I put some seriously long hours into Descent.

Is "Descent Clone" referring to Skyhammer? I agree, of course, just verifying. Descent was even an "announced" title, for what it's worth (nil)...but yeah, I agree. Though I love Battlemorph, Hover Strike CD(light-years better than the cart), Iron Soldier 2 and WTR which are all favorites of mine and I consider "killer-apps" for the Jaguar (the first three anyway). yeah two are on cart as well, and it works well for IS2 cart, but HS cart sucks comparatively and if you have the CD unit, might as well get the premium versions of some of Jag's killer-apps with IS2 CD and HS:UL CD..

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Let me just say that life is short, and your time is probably better spent doing other, more meaningful (or enjoyable) things. Just take it from those who have already bared through the pain and suffering of experiencing that version of PR. (JagChris, where are you?)

Hahahaha, I will definitely keep that in mind! And yes, the descent clone I was referring to is Skyhammer.

all the homebrew, ST ports, new commercial releases for the Jag CD are great, I have more CD titles for the Jag CD than exist with Jag cartridges. But I loved the Jag CD when I first got one for the official releases and VLM anyway. At one point I sold a Jag with my

Jag CD (keeping just a second Jag I had for Doom and Battlesphere networking) and I missed the Jag CD from day one. Once I owned the CD unit the base unit seemed literally to me like half a console. Even though there were only a dozen games for the Jag CD, half of my top ten Jaguar favorites are on CD so without the CD unit, I only have half of my top ten favorites! needless to say I obtained a Jag CD again as soon as I could.

You said it better than me, and yes it is hard to say the positive stuff it actually add when you got one, compared to when you don't ------ if you care for it, enough to actually consider and buy it.

(Also, never liked either PS or Xbox controls [too complex controls], and always thought cd felt cheap compared to carts, and by that stuck to Neo Geo aes, and now [mostly] Jaguar carts, but the cd add-on is interesting in all its absurdness and history. Still think cd:s are cheap. No love for cd:s but maybe the add-on...)

You said it better than me, and yes it is hard to say the positive stuff it actually add when you got one, compared to when you don't ------ if you care for it, enough to actually consider and buy it.

Well, I've never really cared too much about cart or CD when it came to consoles, except in superiority of tech, and at the time CD's could have more and do more (CD music, FMV) than cartridges. so I liked CD because it meant more for less. But I'm sure people are thinking "whatever, another fan-boy defending the Jag CD," but I can say the exact same thing about the Genesis/Sega CD. Ever since I owned both, I can't have just the Genesis base unit either, again, half, if not more, of my favorites are on Sega CD, so to me, the Genesis is half a console without it. The 32X, I could do without (I do like it and a few games), but not the CD unit.

i'm usually more concerned about the quality of the game than the media it comes on.

it is true that the CD is cheaper to manufacture than the cartridge though. Sometimes that cost gets passed onto the consumer (still remember paying $70 for some N64 games, which wasn't that cool when I was a kid). Still doesn't mean that you can't get shovelware on a cart and a better game on a CD.

Cartridges also take up more space and (at least traditionally) have had lower capacity than the CD-ROM.

I think carts are kind of cool and can provide some added character to a system. But it's more of a novelty and doesn't dictate what I buy and what I don't.

Edited by Willard

For sure cart are faster to load.

Of all the CD systems I tried the most surprising in terms of fast loading is gotta be the PC Engine CDROM ... granted the meager RAM does not really requires much to be filled even at 1x, but I was surprised.

[yes, not all games are blazing fast but most are, and yes there's rarely anything more than music and a few still pics but that is one CD unit I don't mind dealing with]

i'm usually more concerned about the quality of the game than the media it comes on.

it is true that the CD is cheaper to manufacture than the cartridge though. Sometimes that cost gets passed onto the consumer (still remember paying $70 for some N64 games, which wasn't that cool when I was a kid). Still doesn't mean that you can't get shovelware on a cart and a better game on a CD.

Cartridges also take up more space and (at least traditionally) have had lower capacity than the CD-ROM.

I think carts are kind of cool and can provide some added character to a system. But it's more of a novelty and doesn't dictate what I buy and what I don't.

Guess it depends on "where/what" you come from. Between year 2000 and 2014 I only collected Neo Geo AES cartidges. I grew up with friends discussed by everything about loading time: cds. Jaguar is a cartridge console with a cd add-on. It's cool. It's new to me, who always felt disconnected to the new wave of cheap games-for-everyone (PS, Xbox), where the exclusiveness and magic died off. Better graphics and never replaced the "less is more", that still makes NES and such so popular, with its charismatic old-school escapism, only playing against you friend sitting next to you; what can beat that? Jaguar is the new system to me, since year 2000.

Although, the Primal Rage discussion has me wanting to try that one out too and compare it to some of the other versions I've played.

It's a bit strange that Primal rage is a rarity on an Atari system, since it is a "made by Atari" game. When it is so common on other systems. Maybe they got out of business at the very clock hour they were printing these games or something?

Edited by Atlantis

The Jaguar version of PR is overpriced for sure. It's better than the Genesis version and sort of on par with the 3do version. But not quite. Definitely the Saturn and PSX versions are better. However it's the best fighter on the Jaguar by far. For me it combines my two loves, the Jaguar and Dinosaurs.

It's not the best version of Primal Rage but saying playing it causes you pain and suffering is rather melodramatic and silly.

Edited by JagChris