IGNORED

Corcomp fdr

Curious...

A local TI Hobbyist has the CorComp Floppy Disk Controller that I tried to purchase from him but he was asking too much. I had a few people here in the forums make offers on it that I passed onto him but he is refusing to sell the card.

Why are these cards so expensive and sought after? I was surprised at the 1st offer but the additional offers were also in the same price range. I understand that they support Dual DSDD floppy drives which is really cool but are there additional features of the card that justify the price?

Sometimes rarity makes sellers think their stuff is worth it's weight in gold. It would probably be much cheaper to purchase a TI floppy drive controller and do the chip replacement/upgrade to bring it up to DSSD 80 track, which is 360K per drive, comparable to the CorComp, with one caveat, the CorComp can support up to FOUR disk drives, where the TI will max out at three.

Someday in the future, there might be a "Myarc Clone" , DSDD 80 Track for 720K per disk X 4... when, and for how much is still unknown.

So if you don't want to miss out on all the fun now, and don't want to get hosed, I'd recommend a TI controller.

I think, DSDD-controllers in general are just hard to get at the moment.

And if you have about 10 PEBs, and only 6 controllers at all, this is a problem

My solution here is to breed hamsters in the remaining PEBs

So, if you want to make hamsters homeless, offer me a controller :)

I think, DSDD-controllers in general are just hard to get at the moment.

And if you have about 10 PEBs, and only 6 controllers at all, this is a problem

My solution here is to breed hamsters in the remaining PEBs

So, if you want to make hamsters homeless, offer me a controller :)

LOl - "SAVE THE HAMSTERS"

Just wondering why a corcomp dsqd EEPROM was never produced?

In 2015 the main reason for not having 80 track capability is the unavailability of source code for the DSR EPROMs (i.e., the device driver').

Why it wasn't done long ago could be lack of knowledge, lack of code space, lack of interest, or some other reason. The controller is capable of DSQD as evidenced by the Geneve, which bypasses the on-board DSR with its own code, and natively supports 80 tracks on TI, CorComp, and Myarc controllers.

From a marketing point of view, it makes perfect sense. A business wants to sell units (to remain in business), so you have to plan for market saturation. When sales start to slow down, how do you generate sell more sales? Simple, come out with a PLANNED improvement, that people will want. crApple does it all the time with their iPhones and the Sheeple keep on buying.

I've used the Geneve Master DSR to make Atronic and BwG controllers work with 80-track drives too. . .

Is that available somewhere? I have a BwG and I love it (though I can no longer get the clock to set.) 80 track support would be great.

The clock problem is likely the battery. I had to send mine off to Richard Bell for a replacement.

May have to do that. I need to get him my WHT SCSI, too, to fix a problem with SCS1 not working (have to use SCS2 and up.)

I just stuck them in my Geneve--they work as 80-track devices when you do that. . .

Right, duh, the Geneve. I suppose it is not possible (or some level of difficult) to port that DSR to TI ROMs.