IGNORED

European Atari Jaguar Festival 2015 - Date Poll -

bmx

Nearly everything for ARNE arrived... Just 1 thing missing... uuuuhhh, what a thrill ^^

BUT... My Chiptune Release for the ejagfest has arrived today! :-)

DER LUCHS - VECTRAX

10 times a fist full of Vectrex!

CD-Digipak: 9,99€

MC: 6,99€

+ packaging & shipping

www.luchs-records.de

kontakt[AT]luchs-records.de

attachicon.gifDSCN0125.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0126.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0142.JPG

What? no 8-Track cart, quadrophic record, or stereo Microcassette, or 1/4 inch reel to reel. How ever will I be able to listen? Perhaps a Wire recording or wax drum?

• Like 2

I will very likely be living in Europe for my company in the next couple of years... (Western Europe in the France/Belgium/Holland/Germany area...)

But I'm curious, when you guys have these festivals and conferences, do they normally do them in English? Or is basically done in some kind of Flemish so that the French, Germans, and Dutch all kind of sort-of understand what's going on?

Feel free to visit us and see yourself. I can't speak for the festivals in france, but I think at the ejagfest in germany or at the gamescom in cologne (germany), the english only speaking visitors had no problems at all.

Or is basically done in some kind of Flemish so that the French, Germans, and Dutch all kind of sort-of understand what's going on?

LOL, Flemish is a variant of Dutch. Dutch and Flemish people can understand each other quite well but I don't think it will help English, French and German people if I start talking in Flemish :P

I think English is becoming the lingua franca in Europe. In most European countries, English is taught as a secondary language at schools. It seems the Scandinavian countries have the largest English language skills.

In the Netherlands I started learning English when I was 12 but nowadays Dutch kids start being taught English at a much earlier age and some schools are experimenting with teaching English from an age of 4. Also, as Dutch is a relatively small language, in higher education lots of school books are in English only and lectures in English instead of Dutch are becoming more and more common.

So in a few generations I wouldn't be surprised if most of Europe speaks English and their local language at the same level.

Most people speak English, some good, some bad & some that puts us Brits to shame

Ha, ha, indeed. I sometimes hear British people talk in a form of English that is unintelligibly for people used to "BBC" English like me. Luckily the BBC is subtitling those cases :) . But I'm trying to improve my English dialect understanding skills by watching Georgie Shore :D

Robert

Ha, ha, indeed. I sometimes hear British people talk in a form of English that is unintelligibly for people used to "BBC" English like me. Luckily the BBC is subtitling those cases :) . But I'm trying to improve my English dialect understanding skills by watching Georgie Shore :D

Robert

Thats the solution. We need subtitles at the ejagfest. :-P

• Like 1

According to my experience, the Dutch have the best English language skill among central Europeans (my guess is that this is due to the fact that no "adult" movies are dubbed to Dutch, whereas all movies and TV series are dubbed into German for their release here). Among Germans, it varies wildly depending on overall education on one hand and personal interests on the other (I, for one, aside from having eight years of English lessons in school, started looking up song lyrics and learning exactly one English poem by heart ("Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost) and at some time bought the first English language books (the "Harry potter" novels, other fantasy and space opera stuff such as the "Skaith" novels by Leigh Brackett and "Skraelings" by Carl Sherrell (because I liked "Raum" very much and "Skraelings" was never published in German).

I also watch movies in English, though I often switch on English subtitles when I encounter problems with the actors' pronunciation, thus I strongly support adding subtitles to eJagFest (admittedly, I also sometimes want subtitles for Germans with a thick dialect such as some Saxons, Hessians and Bavarians and for those speaking lower German or Frisian :).

Among my colleagues in the Hornbach home improvement store, my level of English skills is among the best, many even claim to have none at all (despite English having been mandatory in school from fifth grade up in the former FRG for several decades and in the former GDR right after reunification).

According to my experience, the Dutch have the best English language skill among central Europeans (my guess is that this is due to the fact that no "adult" movies are dubbed to Dutch, whereas all movies and TV series are dubbed into German for their release here).

I also watch movies in English, though I often switch on English subtitles when I encounter problems with the actors' pronunciation, thus I strongly support adding subtitles to eJagFest (admittedly, I also sometimes want subtitles for Germans with a thick dialect such as some Saxons, Hessians and Bavarians and for those speaking lower German or Frisian :).

Yes, in the Netherlands foreign movies are only subtitled. Not that there is much dialogue to subtitle in "adult" movies :P Only children's movies/series are dubbed although sometimes you can use the language button to switch to the original language (depending on your TV provider and channel. Internet based TV seems to strip alternative sound channels while the TV cable provider leave the alternative sound channels in). In the cinema animated movies like those from Disney are usually in two versions, one that is dubbed and one that is subtitled.

Most Dutch prefer subtitles above dubbing and I personally don't like dubbed movies. But it can be worse, when I was in Poland I noticed that the foreign movies/series on TV were not dubbed and not subtitled but they had a "voice-over". Thus one voice was telling the dialogue of all actors (men and women) in Polish while you heard faintly in the background the original voices. And it seemed the movies/series all had the same voice-over voice. Discovery Channel/National Geographic use voice-overs as well in documentaries when they interview someone that is not speaking English. But they use a voice that is fitting for the person that is being interviewed (English with an accent of the original speaker). But in case of the Polish TV, one voice for all actors lacking all emotion in the voice the original actor had, was a big let down. Nevertheless I propose to use voice-overs at €-JagFest :P

The BBC is great for learning English as they provide subtitles for the hearing impaired for most programs thus you can hear and read the English dialogue at the same time.