IGNORED

Meetup at Portland Retro Gaming Expo on Oct 17th-18th

I can't go. :(

I'm finally buying a house, so there's another move in my near future.

These past two years have drained my personal time like a zombie-vampire leech, I haven't had time for much of anything, and missed out on CGE last year. :(

Hopefully I'll have more hobby time next year and I get to share in the Inty-love with all of you. And who knows, there may be an announcement or two (though I wouldn't hold my breath) ;).

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting a necro thread for legit purposes :D

Really thinking of hitting this one up. Except the nearest Hilton is already booked for that weekend - WTF? Is PGRE that popular that it fills up local hotels? :lol: There's an Embassy Suites across the river but I kinda liked the idea of walking distance when the wife wants to duck out from too much nerd-talk. If only I hadn't lost my diamond status last year... sigh.

Also, what's the status on an Intellivision table/booth of some sort? I think I may "Blix" everyone for shits and giggles, if there's a place to sell cheap stuff at. Maybe toss one in if there's a charity-type raffle, so that the speculators can go ape-shit.

Yeah, the hotels were filling up around a month ago. My wife and I have some hotels we like to stay at but they were either full or at least our favorite rooms were already taken.

Consider looking in the main downtown area. It looks far away from since it is across the river, but Portland blocks are surprisingly short to walk and Portland also has excellent light rail and street car service. Here's a map, if that helps. http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/node/4

PRGE is fairly large but last year's PRGE still shared the convention center with an unrelated business conference (held in separate rooms). That ate up the nearby hotel rooms faster than expected for PRGE alone. I don't know if the same thing is happening this year, but it likely is. PRGE is larger but I don't think it is large enough to use up the entire convention center.

• Like 1

Yeah, the hotels were filling up around a month ago. My wife and I have some hotels we like to stay at but they were either full or at least our favorite rooms were already taken.

PRGE is fairly large but last year's PRGE still shared the convention center with an unrelated business conference (held in separate rooms). That ate up the nearby hotel rooms faster than expected for PRGE alone. I don't know if the same thing is happening this year, but it likely is. PRGE is larger but I don't think it is large enough to use up the entire convention center.

Huh, that's probably it. Thanks for the info. PRGE itself is only about 1/3-1/2 of the convention center from the looks of it, so you're probably right and it's other stuff. Just annoyed me because it seems like that's the only busy weekend that month :(

It's not a deal-breaker, I just liked the idea of a quick jaunt to the hotel if needed. Sometimes cross-river traffic can be annoying but I guess at least it won't be during the work week.

I'm trying to get a bus for my senior centre to travel down from Canada for this!!! I can't wait to meet you all!!

Where in Canada are you coming from? My wife and I are in Vancouver and are hopping on the train.

I and a couple of friends are staying at the Crowne Plaza

We'll be there too! Awesome hotel. Stayed there both times we were at PRGE.

• 3 weeks later...

Portland be booked. There's a brand new (opened in June) boutique hotel kiddy corner to the convention centre - Hotel Eastlund. About the same price as the Crowne Plaza and convenient if I want to carry a large haul back to the room. Only negative is mandatory valet. I loathe valet. But parking costs everywhere in that area, so...

There better be an Intellivisionaries table or something. I don't know what any of you look like but if I can at least walk up to an obvious place to say "hi", I feel like less of a dork :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, here's a list of people who've said they are going. There are some more folks whose plans weren't solid at last check. We should start making plans for meeting up. Let me know who I missed from the list!

• Lathe26
  • Special Teams
  • cmart604
  • BBWW
  • Chuck D. Head
  • y-bot
  • freewheel
  • ComputerSpaceFan

I'll be there

Not sure about a good time or place to meet, but.....I seem to remember that Al offered in a previous year to have some AtariAge stickers that could be used as name tags we could wrte our screen name / real name on. Wonder if he would be willing to do that.

He has already said he wiould:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242715-get-your-atariage-badge/

• Like 1

I'm definitely going to be in and out a lot. I've got the full weekend pass and we're staying across the street, so there's no excuse not to go several times - but I've also promised lots of non-geek shopping type activities.

I should have the AtariAge badge on with my nick on it - presuming I can find Albert - so feel free to come up and say "Hi", if I haven't met y'all yet. If there's any sort of raffle like at CGE I'll be attending that for sure. We're compulsive gamblers :P Can't decide if I'll force the wife to sit through the auction or not. I almost certainly won't be buying anything if CGE was any indication - it's usually all rare/expensive stuff at these - so I'm not sure how much I'll test her patience on that one....

It's too bad there's no Intellivision-themed panel. The Atari guys always make it out - which is cool and I'll be hitting up a couple for sure - but I just wish there was a bit more variety. Saturday definitely seems to be the "big day" in an overall sense.