IGNORED

Your oldest game -- ie the Game you've personally owne the longest

2015-05-05%2016.17.55_zpsvl3avqyt.jpg

I got this copy of Berzerk from a Radio Shack in 1983. For some reason I got $50.. I think one of my parents got a raise or something. Anyway this was an insane amount of money to a 7 year old in 1983. I remember asking for it all in 1s.

It didn't last long because I bought this and 2600 Empire Strikes Back on the same day which blew the entire $50.

Obviously I had games before this (Combat, E.T., Space Invaders, etc) but over the years I've picked up some many of those and they've gotten mixed around so much I couldn't tell you if any were my 'original' or not.

I only know this is my original copy of Berzerk because at some point in the late 80s the end label fell off and I replaced it with those stick-on letters you got with a blank VHS tape. Even those have fallen off but there's enough left to identify it.

So what's the oldest game you've personally owned in your collection?

• Like 1

Asteroids, Defender, Frogger, Missile Command, Pac-Man, & Yar's Revenge.

I got them all with my 2600 Jr. for X-Mas of '86.

My sister wrote our names & phone number on them so I know they are the originals. Normally that would bug me nowadays, but I have many dupes of these games that are in better condition and it's nice to be able to tell which one's are my "Original 6". Plus it's written nice and neat in girl writing in a corner.

In fact I'd say they are the only games I have that have something written legibly on them; why is it when I get or see carts with names written on them, they're written in big ol' black marker and look like the person wrote it while having a stroke? It's like some kind of correlation. If you like video games AND feel the need to write your name on them, you MUST have terrible penmanship. Same goes for highscores or passwords written in manuals... I have ONE manual with passwords that are written clear and legible, Dune: The Battle for Arrakis on Genesis. I used to always fill the "notes" sections of manuals with codes and whatnot that I got from game magazines, but always clean and legible with a nice-tipped pen. But I'm rambling now...

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX. Long story short, all of my games from before a serious falling out were left at my parents, given to my younger siblings, and ultimately, I think, sold or trashed. My Game Boy Color was the first thing I bought after that.

It would have to be some of the later Intellivision games that I picked up with the system was dead. I think maybe Lock N Chase was one of them, got it at TRU in one of their generic boxes because the original box was gone. Aside from that, it would have to be SMB and Duck Hunt carts since I got the basic NES system with a zapper early on. My parents were smart enough to see that ROB was a POS.

I've still got the Combat cart that came with our 2600, Christmas '82

For a long time, I also had a version of Mattel's handheld football. It was the 2 player one with the pass button, but that has now been lost (and it might've been newer)

Either Dungeons of Daggorath or Color Baseball for the Tandy CoCo. Not sure which of those I got first, but it would've been in the 1984-1985 range, I think. I also had Spidercide and Downland but lost both somewhere along the way, so my current copies are replacements.

I may have a couple Atari VCS games from the family stash that are older than that -- specifically, my Air Sea Battle and River Raid might be my childhood carts -- but I've generally acquired my own copies of those and left the "originals" with my folks.

I guess my Telstar Colortron (which doesn't work) is my oldest "video game" thing proper. We had this before we ever even knew what an Atari was.

For games it's probably Target Fun & Space Invaders (bought at the same time) since they were the first carts I ever owned with my Sears unit. Never got rid of them.

coleco-telstar-colortron.jpg

Edited by NE146

Atari Super Pong system which my uncle gave to me in '76 I believe. Still have it in the original box with warranty card.

First actual game cartridge would be Combat included with my Atari in '81. First game bought would be Night Driver from Zayre on sale for 19.99.

My mom bought my next two games for me at the same time at Toys R US; Flag Capture for $9.99 and Bowling for $13.99.

Next was the biggie...Space Invaders which was quite expensive at the time. A stereo store in the mall called PLAYBACK put it on sale for $26.99.

Over the next 5 years I ended up with 72 games (I loved the crash) and oddly enough I can remember where most came from and how much they cost. Some notable ones were Popeye at Sears for 9.99 with a $10.00 rebate and MASH at Camelot Music for $2.50 packed with a free MASH T-Shirt and I got a $5.00 rebate...free game, free shirt and $2.50 profit.

Anyone else remember PLAYBACK? That was one cool, very dark and mysterious high tech place. My brother-in-law bought his Odyssey 2 there.

Edited by Turbo-Torch

SMB/Duck Hunt for NES, followed by Bases Loaded 3 and a few other carts from my original childhood collection. I had a ColecoVision and a few games first but it was given away by accident, shortly after I got my brand new NES back in late 80's.. I've replaced the CV stuff later on but Nintendo is the oldest/OG stuff I still thankfully own.

Intellivision - Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack and Triple Action that our family purchased in 1982. The master component itself no longer works but I keep it for parts.

My oldest video game related item is either my original Mattel Football handheld or the APF TV Fun (pong clone) that my family purchased. I can't remember which is older. The football game I bought at Sears with my own money. So that is the oldest videogame item that I purchased.

Like a couple others, I still have my Mattel handheld football game. My oldest console game would have to be Super Mario/Duck Hunt. I put it and its manual in a plastic clamshell case and slapped a label on the end with the title scrawled in not so grand hand writing.

The oldest computer game I own predates the cartridge: The Interbank Incident for the Tandy Color Computer. Original disks, gray case and manual, all in one piece.

Intellivision Poker & Blackjack - the Inty was my family's first console, and that was the pack-in. That Christmas I think we also got Basketball, Baseball and Horse Racing... or something like that, but I'd still consider P&BJ the first since we opened the console first.

No idea what the first game I personally owned was - probably something for the Inty, although back then my brother, sister and I would pool our money to buy carts so it's kind of "joint ownership."

I don't recall the actual dates I got these but it would have to be either The Black Cauldron on Atari ST or Hang On/Astro Warrior on the Sega Master System.

I owned Vic 20 games, MSX, and Atari 2600 games back then probably before these but I don't have them anymore. Everything I got as a kid after the Master System I still have.

PAC MAN, since it was a pack-in for the Atari VCS (woodie / 4-button) that my mom bought back in 1978 before I was born.

First and oldest computer game, would have to be Starflight by Binary Systems.

Pac-Man and the 4 switcher didn't exist in '78 (not even the arcade game). It was a pack in but much later in the 2600's life.