IGNORED

Reading Files

budz2355

Another dumb question:

How do I open a file and view/edit it's contents? Even a text file?

So BITD I would just type EDIT into DOS and then ALT would get me to the menu etc etc. I know this isn't an IBM clone, so how do I open a file from either the shell (XB?) or from TI Writer.... or anything? I just want to view some README files and also perhaps edit some program CONFIG files. I have the TI writer overlays, but they don't say anything about how to actually open the files. I have Tony's XB cart, plus a normal EA cart and I bunch of other stuff...

Thanks to you all!

Are the files on disk? Do you have TI Writer or some other variant? What type of files are they? If your files are DISplay/VARiable 80 (essentially a text document) format then you should be able to open them with EA, provided you have the Editor/Assembler 'EDIT1' program on disk. Just load the file by typing 'DSK#.<filename>' when prompted.

Are the files on disk? Do you have TI Writer or some other variant? What type of files are they? If your files are DISplay/VARiable 80 (essentially a text document) format then you should be able to open them with EA, provided you have the Editor/Assembler 'EDIT1' program on disk. Just load the file by typing 'DSK#.<filename>' when prompted.

Can we back up a step? I am at the EA menu.....do I push 1-5?

wow I am stupid... here I am trying function F or control F or Shift Function F....all I had to do was type.. F

Either way when I am prompted for the file I still get some error, maybe I am still doing something wrong, can you start from the beginning please?

After loading the Editor on the E/A (or the TI Writer Editor), you want to select F(ile), and then type DSK1.FILENAME, with Filename being the file you want to open on the disk (use whatever it is called in the catalog). Note that the DSK may be DSK2 or DSK3 if you have those drives in addition to DSK1, and that your file disk has to be in the drive you select. . .