IGNORED

Good Atari 8-bit floppy disk games?

I have an Atari 1050 Disk Drive, along with an 800XL. I only have one floppy game, which is (The) Battle of Antietam, released in 1985 by SSI.

I want to put my 1050 to more use, so I would appreciate any suggestions. Not trying to sound spoiled! :-D

Thanks a lot! I'd really appreciate your suggestions if you have any.

Note: Please make suggestions of floppy games that are under 48K RAM, playable, and fun in your opinion! ;-)

Koronis Rift, Karateka, Lode Runner, The Eidolon, Capture the Flag. These are either non existent in cart form or their digital counterparts require more memory when decompressed. Karateka is a expensive cart. Lode runner lets you create your own levels, but so does the cart.

Great American Cross Country Road Race

Raid Over Moscow

Beach Head I and II

(Beyond) Castle Wolfenstein

Ghostbusters

World Karate Championship

Hacker

Top Gunner Collection

I'll also second Bruce Lee, Lode Runner, F15 Strike Eagle and the Infocom games.

Edited by adam242

Koronis Rift & The Eidolon from LucasArts are almost impossible to find these days, and expensive. There are lots of playable games on disks. Oil's Well (might also be hard to find). David's Midnight Magic (also available on XE cart) and Bill Bulge's Pinball Construction Set are good. Cosmic Tunnels (Cosmi). Leaderboard Golf (excellent 8-bit golf sim). Salmon Run (Atari APX). Flight Sim II (need the docs to play that one). Tons of educational software like Mickey in the Great Outdoors, Trains.

Where abouts are you based? If you happen to be in the UK I can send you some floppy disks if you like

I have an Atari 1050 Disk Drive, along with an 800XL. I only have one floppy game, which is (The) Battle of Antietam, released in 1985 by SSI.

I want to put my 1050 to more use, so I would appreciate any suggestions. Not trying to sound spoiled! :-D

Note: Please make suggestions of floppy games that are under 48K RAM, playable, and fun in your opinion! ;-)

Unsure on the memory requirements but if it doesn't require 64K I highly recommend the Tail of Beta Lyrae. Great music, fun proceedurally generated horizontal shmup

I'll tell you one thing about 'Tail of Beta Lyrae' - its rendered by the A8 a DAMN site better than the disappointing bollocks in 'Elite Dangerous'!!! One of, if not THE most specific and renowned star systems in our own galaxy and Braben and co give us... Nothing. No tail. No traffic-light stars. Just... more... space... Well THAT was worth spending an hour and a half pressing 'H' to visit. And then there are the black holes. I KNOW by definition they are invisible, but they still have cosmic-whirlpool accretion disks FFS!!!

So far as your question goes though - there are a LOT of excellent CRPG's on disk, for instance "Ultima IV", "Wizard's Crown" and apparently - as I learned to my delight just a couple of days ago - its sequel 'The Eternal Dagger'!

Tail of Beta Lyrae is a polarizing game... Great soundtrack, good graphics, nice ramp-up in difficulty... But the dodgy collision detection (explained away by the programmer as a "feature" of added realism) can be very frustrating. Love it or hate it...

Tail of Beta Lyrae is a polarizing game... Great soundtrack, good graphics, nice ramp-up in difficulty... But the dodgy collision detection (explained away by the programmer as a "feature" of added realism) can be very frustrating. Love it or hate it...

Is the weird, screen going completely white thing intentional? In fact has anyone but me ever encountered that in Beta Lyrae?

You say you have an 800XL, but only 48K? How you get the game to your 1050? I guess you don't have a SIO2PC to make a real floppy from a .ATR.

If you like chess, SARGON III is playable.

Here's my compilation of Sargon III. It has the original one drive version .ATR, where you boot the game and then stick the opening book in drive 1. It also has

a two drive version .ATRs where you put the opening book in drive 2 and boot from D1: from ATR. And there's a .COM version, binary load, that requires OP Book in D2:.

You can play without the opening book, but it is much better with it.

sargon3.zip

Edited by russg