IGNORED

Jet Set Willy

Asmusr

jswSecurity.jpg

Just wondered if Rasmus would be including this little baby(for that authentic retro experience) ;)

P.S, if anyone would like a quick TI style ego boost, have a look at the Atari 8 bit version of JSW, it is truly a fetid turd of a game and the developers should have held their heads in shame(before having them chopped off).

This version should make it easier to jump through stairs, and it fixes 2-3 other minor issues.

The problem that arcadeshopper reported about ending inside the wall may or may not have been fixed.

Spot-on. Much easier to jump through stairs. Gameplay is much closer to the original as a result.

The jump-arc is spot-on. key-reaction is spot-on. My timing passes straight over from the ZX Spectrum version without adjustment.

And you know something? I might JUST prefer your conversion over the Spectrum original, which I've always regarded as the best version of JSW right up until today. There have been many conversions to other platforms and NONE have stood up to the Spectrum original until you dropped THIS into our laps.

I am seeing some odd glitches when switching from one room to another while jumping but again, these aren't in any way game-breaking.

I also need to compare your version to the ZX Spectrum version side-by side as my memory (maybe incorrectly) suggests missing pickups in certain rooms, but I could be wrong. I'll let you know what I find.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot. Thanks for adding the O and P keys as left/right. I'd been playing for 10 minutes using those keys before I even realised you'd implemented my suggestion. Thank you.

Edited by UKRetrogamer

jswSecurity.jpg

Just wondered if Rasmus would be including this little baby(for that authentic retro experience) ;)

P.S, if anyone would like a quick TI style ego boost, have a look at the Atari 8 bit version of JSW, it is truly a fetid turd of a game and the developers should have held their heads in shame(before having them chopped off).

As long as Rasmus doesn't implement Lens-LOK protection (look it up, if you've never heard of it), I don't care.

Incidentally, in the original Bug-Bye version of Manic Miner, Mr. Smith chose the code "6031769" to enable room skipping. In the re-branded Software Projects version, this was changed to the word "typewriter". When he released Jet Set Willy, the room-skip code became "writetyper".

Sad to admit though; I didn't need to look those up. They're lodged firmly in my memory!

This version should make it easier to jump through stairs, and it fixes 2-3 other minor issues.

The problem that arcadeshopper reported about ending inside the wall may or may not have been fixed.

Nice music. At first I thought Gwen Stefani was taking liberties from 80's computer games....

I'm waiting for someone who has never played the original to complain about the irrecoverable screen-entry death loop.

In the original, it was quite possible to move from one room into another from the wrong spot and be killed with no way of avoiding it. Because of the way the game restores you into the room exactly in the manner in which you entered, it's distinctly possible you can lose the game by entering a room from the wrong angle, even with a full compliment of lives. You can only watch as your character repeatedly jumps or drops into the room to his death until your lives deplete.

Shyt, that has to suck if you are color-blind.

...but you couldn't photocopy it cheaply in the 1980s. I knew someone who spent a WHOLE weekend recreating this in felt-pen (it's not just a single page of coloured squares, there are many pages). Needless to say, he made MANY mistakes and it was hit and miss as to whether the game reset after invalid attempts at code entries or not. All that to save £5.95.

Or you could change the accepted code in every copy, issue a specific manual for each cartridge. :)

I thought about trying to protect my RPG so folks couldnt change player stats and whatnot, but there is no real way to protect an XB game... TI99Dir eliminates any possibility of doing it. :)

Even break protection and the infamous CALL LOAD for write protection do nothing against the power of Fred's program. :)

All good... As long as someone is playing it, who cares what they do to it. :)

I recorded a video, collecting the item from "The Chapel" screen in the ZX Spectrum version of the game. There's no sound as I lack the correct audio codecs on my Mac ATM. I tried to make a video of me doing the same on Rasmus' Ti game in Classic99 but the video capture option fails each time while trying to open an AVI in Windows 8.1 and FRAPS seems not to notice Classic99 even exists!

However, I created the video for a reason (aside from showing my pixel-accurate platforming skillz).

In the original version, it's possible to climb (jump up) the Blue, rightmost column with your back to the wall, even while the large demon passes to the left of you. In the Ti-conversion, you cannot ascend if your back is facing the wall. At all. You need to have your leg sticking out and the demon kills you unless you change the timing of your climb. Unfortunately, I can't capture Ti video in Classic99 ATM so if you would like to check this in the Ti version, you'd better up your platforming abilities. :grin:

The video is only short as The Chapel is merely a few screens away from the game's starting screen.

http://www.zen56791.zen.co.uk/JSW-ZX.mp4

Edited by UKRetrogamer

As long as Rasmus doesn't implement Lens-LOK protection (look it up, if you've never heard of it), I don't care.

Incidentally, in the original Bug-Bye version of Manic Miner, Mr. Smith chose the code "6031769" to enable room skipping. In the re-branded Software Projects version, this was changed to the word "typewriter". When he released Jet Set Willy, the room-skip code became "writetyper".

Sad to admit though; I didn't need to look those up. They're lodged firmly in my memory!

About the nasty lenslok there is an emulator also for that

http://simonowen.com/spectrum/lenskey/

• Like 1

Sadly I remember LensLok all too well, unless you had 20/20 vision you were pretty much f**ked

I recorded a video, collecting the item from "The Chapel" screen in the ZX Spectrum version of the game. There's no sound as I lack the correct audio codecs on my Mac ATM. I tried to make a video of me doing the same on Rasmus' Ti game in Classic99 but the video capture option fails each time while trying to open an AVI in Windows 8.1 and FRAPS seems not to notice Classic99 even exists!

However, I created the video for a reason (aside from showing my pixel-accurate platforming skillz).

In the original version, it's possible to climb (jump up) the Blue, rightmost column with your back to the wall, even while the large demon passes to the left of you. In the Ti-conversion, you cannot ascend if your back is facing the wall. At all. You need to have your leg sticking out and the demon kills you unless you change the timing of your climb. Unfortunately, I can't capture Ti video in Classic99 ATM so if you would like to check this in the Ti version, you'd better up your platforming abilities. :grin:

The video is only short as The Chapel is merely a few screens away from the game's starting screen.

http://www.zen56791.zen.co.uk/JSW-ZX.mp4

The issue seems to be that Willy becomes misaligned so he stops at odd x coordinates instead of even x coordinates after moving against a wall to the right. I hope I can find an easy fix for this.

I don't know how to embed a tweet into a post so here's a GIF of using Lenslok (via an emulator) to unlock ELITE on a Spectrum. (It's a 10MB GIF, so be prepared to wait if you click on it. Sorry.)

post-25357-0-87796000-1431173254_thumb.gif

Nasty!

My original tweet can be found here:

https://twitter.com/8BitMicro/status/592457226373103616

Edited by UKRetrogamer

The issue seems to be that Willy becomes misaligned so he stops at odd x coordinates instead of even x coordinates after moving against a wall to the right. I hope I can find an easy fix for this.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out and I hope the fix doesn't cause you too much hassle.

I found another issue which I need to replicate and record once I remember which room I was in.

Here's another for you Rasmus.

In the screen "The Bow" (It's the screen the furthest you can go to the left ) in the ZX Spectrum version, I can walk down the ramp and onto the conveyor.

{according to urban legend, "The Bow" is only the furthest left screen unless you cheat!}

post-25357-0-46822200-1431176120_thumb.jpg

On the Ti version, I get killed if I walk onto the conveyer and need to jump from the ramp. It's almost as though my heels are catching the "sea" tile by a pixel.

post-25357-0-19592100-1431176138_thumb.jpg

Edit: BTW. Could we have an infinite lives "poke" for the duration of the beta? I'm not REALLY as good at JSW as I appear!

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I haven't looked at The Bow yet, but this version should fix The Chapel.

Do you want a real poke that you have to apply using a disk editor or do you just want a separate version with infinite lives?

I'll download it now and check it out. Thanks again.

I'm sorry. You must have more important things to do than chase me around, fixing problems?!

A separate version would be good (if it's a quick job to create one). Would it not be possible to press a key in-game to toggle the life-counter on/off?

Mind you, due to the JSW perma-death "feature" I mentioned earlier, even having infinite lives won't guarantee I'll find the game easier to navigate. I can see problems where I might need to reset the Ti if I enter a screen incorrectly with infinite lives switched on. (Perhaps add a key-press to quit back to the title screen?)

This isn't a problem with YOUR game but something which existed in the original. Your extremely faithful conversion has just inherited these issues. Please don't change this as it's part and parcel of the original's charm. Removing the insta-death would (quite literally) kill Jet Set Willy's appeal.

Edited by UKRetrogamer

Rasmus, do you have any plans to add a disk-image of the JSW beta into JS99er? I might find it easier to capture video from there rather than from Classic99 until that's fixed.

Edit: I just realised I can load any valid disk-image into your JS99er emulator. Ignore this question. I should've checked before asking!

Edited by UKRetrogamer