IGNORED

Jet Set Willy

Asmusr

Your latest patch seems to have fixed walking down the ramp on The Bow.

However, I've experienced a a few "warps" [for want of a better word] on dying.

I died jumping into the Yellow radar thing on The Bow and reappeared in the Off Licence screen, stuck in the wall (as per screen-grab).

post-25357-0-73454300-1431288649_thumb.jpg

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I think I've worked out what's going on with the warping on death.

I've managed to replicate the warp from The Bow to The Off License a couple of times.

It would appear to happen if you're killed near the screen edge, while pressing a movement key.

I take it with The Bow being the leftmost screen on the map and the Off License being the rightmost, there's a wrap-around effect going on.

On each occasion I've managed to warp on death, I've ended up in the same spot. I've been trying to get Willy killed in the same general area each time, so I could replicate the problem and every time, end up stuck inside the same wall.

Maybe disabling user (directional/jumping) input before decrementing the life counter and re-spawning may fix this? (Or maybe not. It would now/also? appear to be a screen-boundary glitch. See below).

Edit: Oddly, while deliberately getting myself killed on The Bow, I'm on top of the boat, on the right of the screen and when I re-appear, I'm in virtually the same position (horizontally and vertically) but stuck inside the wall in the Off License screen.

Second Edit: Rasmus, if you get a chance, load up the infinite-lives version and play around on The Bow. Try getting yourself killed by the Yellow rotating radar-like thing on the top of the boat. Sooner or later, you'll re-appear in the Off License (or as happened to me occasionally) on "The Bridge", which is the screen to the LEFT of The Off License.

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I captured it on video. (Under Classic99, via WINE, under Linux. Heh.)

A short MP4 video showing death warp to The Bridge via The Off License.

http://www.zen56791.zen.co.uk/JSWBow.mp4

If you notice; on re-appearing after collision, Willy is jumping backward off the right side of the screen. There's something screwy going on at the screen boundaries.

Edited by UKRetrogamer

Finally gave this a proper go on the real thing. Very nice game, hard but fair in that it's Your fault when You die, aside from the odd bug.

Curiously I haven't felt the need to kill the music on the real thing, but did very soon in classic99. Weird how playing on

real hardware makes You a lot more tolerant of minor annoyances, some sort of atmospheric nostalgia induced thing happening there.

I captured it on video. (Under Classic99, via WINE, under Linux. Heh.)

A short MP4 video showing death warp to The Bridge via The Off License.

http://www.zen56791.zen.co.uk/JSWBow.mp4

If you notice; on re-appearing after collision, Willy is jumping backward off the right side of the screen. There's something screwy going on at the screen boundaries.

This bug is actually really easy to fix - I just need to clear the JUMP flag when you die. But I just discovered another issue: you can now longer jump from a two character tall wall opening as you used too (like in The Banyan Tree). I want to fix this before I release a new version. It's incredible how fragile the movement code is without knowing the exact rules after which it was originally programmed.

It's incredible how fragile the movement code is without knowing the exact rules after which it was originally programmed.

It might be worth having a chat with Tezz who created a fantastic version of Manic Miner for the Atari A8 range :-

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/159246-manic-miner-port/

He might be able to give you some insights.

It might be worth having a chat with Tezz who created a fantastic version of Manic Miner for the Atari A8 range :-

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/159246-manic-miner-port/

He might be able to give you some insights.

Was this ever completed? I took an interest early on (I even offered to be a beta tester, seeing as we're practically neighbours) but lack of progress saw my interest wane. Looking back through the thread, there still doesn't seem to be a playable release.

Was this ever completed? I took an interest early on (I even offered to be a beta tester, seeing as we're practically neighbours) but lack of progress saw my interest wane. Looking back through the thread, there still doesn't seem to be a playable release.

Its very playable. I played it at the UK's largest retro event Play Expo a couple of years ago.

Being based in the Northwest, I've been to every Replay/PlayExpo event bar one. Is there a downloadable version of the A8 Manic Miner somewhere?

It was demoed at Play Expo 2012. I'm sure Tezz will release it when he is happy for it to be out there.

I just discovered another issue: you can now longer jump from a two character tall wall opening as you used too (like in The Banyan Tree). I want to fix this before I release a new version. It's incredible how fragile the movement code is without knowing the exact rules after which it was originally programmed.

Yeah. You're quite correct. I can get into the centre of The Banyan tree from the right side but I can only drop from this point and not jump across.

After 5-6 hours of trying to fix the jumping bug I finally think I have found a working solution. This issue turned out to be that Willy is moving every 2nd frame (frames 0 and 2) while you were only permitted to jump every 4th frame (frame 0), so Willy was falling down in frame 2. Repeating the jump command from frame 0 in frame 2 solved it, but it took me a long time to realize that that was the issue.

JSW.dsk

What took you so long? ;O)

Jumping seems to work perfectly now. No more random re-spawns and I can get through the Banyan tree too! (It takes me about 15 tries in the infinite-life version, but at least I can make it through!)

I'll keep playing and let you know if I find any other glitches.

This is turning out to be the ultimate JSW conversion.

Edited by UKRetrogamer
  • Like 1

Sorry. It looks like I've found another issue (or maybe two).

Since the last update, I'm now finding that if I change direction on a staircase or ramp, a lot of the time, I'll fall through them.

Also, I just had an instance when walking down the ramp in "To The Kitchens/Main Stairway", I couldn't pass the star about a third of the way down without it catching my hat and killing me. I found I had to leave the room by going back UP the stairs, then re-enter before I could walk down the stairs as normal.

Edit: Also, "Above the West Bedroom", walking down the ramp on the left side of the roof kills Willy. I need to check if this happens in the original, though I don't remember it doing so.

Nope. In the original, you can definitely walk on the roof as below.

post-25357-0-38635600-1431469273_thumb.jpg

In "The Swimming Pool", there seems to be a spurious object not present in the ZX original. (Circled in Yellow). I've never noticed this object before but this one time, I entered The Swimming Pool by climbing the rope in "The Cold Store" (in both versions for comparison).

post-25357-0-15110800-1431469982_thumb.jpg post-25357-0-52381800-1431469989_thumb.jpg

Further edit: The object is there, even if I take the long route around. As above, it's not present in the original so I'm not sure where it came from in the Ti version.

Edited by UKRetrogamer
  • Like 1

I noticed some bugs last night. Occasionally JSW spawns a few pixels below the top of the deck, but You can do a jump to get back on top.

I'll do more testing and have camera ready to take pics.

Also I might watch some Youtube vids of the original to see how that behaves.

We used to have a saying when repairing TV's years ago. "It's a feature, not a fault". Customers would complain about things that were

not fixable, like imperfect straight lines and convergence issues at the edges of the crt when they were viewing test patterns. So I don't want to complain about bugs

that aren't.

Edited by Imperious

In "The Swimming Pool", there seems to be a spurious object not present in the ZX original. (Circled in Yellow). I've never noticed this object before but this one time, I entered The Swimming Pool by climbing the rope in "The Cold Store" (in both versions for comparison).

attachicon.gifSwiimngPoolTi.jpg attachicon.gifSwiimngPoolZX.jpg

Further edit: The object is there, even if I take the long route around. As above, it's not present in the original so I'm not sure where it came from in the Ti version.

The object is there in the version I downloaded from

www.worldofspectrum.org/

The object is there in the version I downloaded from

www.worldofspectrum.org/

After a little Googling, it would appear the object in the Swimming Pool disappears on entry to the screen for the first time as it is automatically collected. This would explain why I've never noticed it before.

http://mdfs.net/Software/JSW/Docs/faq/remakes.htm

and

http://jswremakes.emuunlim.com/faq.htm#objects

According to the second link, the object found on The Beach counts as TWO. Again, I don't remember this being the case but it's been a while since I played it to collect the objects.

Edited by UKRetrogamer

In his YouTube walkthrough, Geoff drops into The Swimming Pool from The Orangery. The object is not seen, but the object counter increments as he enters the screen from above.

https://youtu.be/tpTz70VawVo?t=265

Also, the counter increments twice on collection of The Beach object:

https://youtu.be/tpTz70VawVo?t=1737

Collecting the object from The Beach in the Ti conversion increments the object counter by only one item.

If you look closely at the object in The Beach, it looks like it *could* be TWO items. (either that, or a sandwich!)

It's amazing what I'm learning about this 31-year old game while playing it on an even older micro.

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I think I have fixed the ramps (another 4 hours), and I have made it possible to pick up the stacked items on The Beach (2 mins). I have left the Swimming Pool item as it is. Probably it's picked up automatically on the Speccy because it has the same colour attribute (note the British spelling) as the air. Now I wish for a few days without any bug reports so I can focus on less important stuff...

JSW.dsk

• Like 2

I think I have fixed the ramps (another 4 hours), and I have made it possible to pick up the stacked items on The Beach (2 mins). I have left the Swimming Pool item as it is. Probably it's picked up automatically on the Speccy because it has the same colour attribute (note the British spelling) as the air. Now I wish for a few days without any bug reports so I can focus on less important stuff...

Ok. I'll let you be for a while. Have a good rest but the first thing you need to look at on your return is that I can no longer walk down the ramp in "To the Kitchens Main Stairway". Every time now, Willy catches his head on the star near the top of the ramp.

Sorry. Enjoy your time away.

Edited by UKRetrogamer