IGNORED

Jet Set Willy

Asmusr

Confirmed fixed. Thanks.

Now go get the rest you've been promising yourself. When you're ready, tell me so and I'll give you another issue I've found. (A comical little double bounce in a room when you jump, which always results in Willy's death when collecting the room's only object).

...But not until you tell me you're ready again. :woozy:

I don't want you to feel tired of this project or start thinking badly of it. (Or me, for that matter?!)

Enjoy some time away, Rasmus. You deserve it.

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I'm not exactly thorough; I have enough memories of playing this game almost constantly on the ZX Spectrum back in the day, PLUS there are excellent online resources if my memory fails me. (Like the complete YouTube walkthrough, I picked snippets from above).

Rasmus, would you prefer I continue to post newly found bugs/glitches features here as and when I spot them, or would you prefer I make a list and PM you once in a while?

Try collecting the single object from the room "Doctor Jones will never believe this" and you'll see some extra frames of animation which don't belong and which result in Willy not being able to get out of the vertical nasty's path in time. (The extra frames made me chuckle the first few times I saw them. "boop-boop").

post-25357-0-49966400-1431620156_thumb.gif

It's also currently possible to escape the trademark never-ending fall death-loop (providing you have enough lives).

If you fall into a screen and die, it's currently possible to keep jump pressed, along with a direction and Willy will leap in the direction pressed on re-spawning as though he's standing on solid ground (even if he's in mid-air). If you're close enough to an onscreen platform, Willy may land on it and save his remaining lives. With infinite lives enabled, it seems distinctly possible to traverse quite a distance across a screen by exploiting this unexpected feature!

Edited by UKRetrogamer

Rasmus, would you prefer I continue to post newly found bugs/glitches features here as and when I spot them, or would you prefer I make a list and PM you once in a while?

Just keep them coming.

This version should fix the latest discovered issues. It also has an XB loader.

JSW.dsk

In your new version with the XB loader:

Entering from the Swimming Pool rope into the Orangery, I jumped over to collect the object on the lower left of the screen. Rather than land on the floor where the object had previously been, I collected the object and then, because I still had the jump button pressed, I jumped OFF the object I had just collected (by this time an empty space) as though it were a platform block and then moving from there up the roof to the Conservatory, found it's no longer possible to climb the roof in The Orangery to reach The Conservatory Roof. I keep being dropped back onto the sloping roof of the Orangery.

...And we seem to have lost the ability to get through the Banyan tree again. From the centre upright, I can no longer jump. Only drop!

(Sorry, but YOU DID say to keep them coming!)

BTW, in the CHEATJSW version, would it be possible to disable death from long falls or add a key-press to quit the game to the MAIN game? Playing with infinite lives means a reset/reload every time I mis-time a jump over a long fall!

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I already discovered a few issues with the latest update:

1. The XB loader is messing up the intro music.

2. When you try to move between two rooms using a ramp, e.g. Orangery to Conservatory Roof, you fall down into the first room. This is side effect of fixing the cheat jump that UKRetrogamer reported.

In your new version with the XB loader:

Entering from the Swimming Pool rope into the Orangery, I jumped over to collect the object on the lower left of the screen. Rather than land on the floor where the object had previously been, I collected the object and then, because I still had the jump button pressed, I jumped OFF the object I had just collected (by this time an empty space) as though it were a platform block and then moving from there up the roof to the Conservatory, found it's no longer possible to climb the roof in The Orangery to reach The Conservatory Roof. I keep being dropped back onto the sloping roof of the Orangery.

...And we seem to have lost the ability to get through the Banyan tree again. From the centre upright, I can no longer jump. Only drop!

(Sorry, but YOU DID say to keep them coming!)

BTW, in the CHEATJSW version, would it be possible to disable death from long falls or add a key-press to quit the game to the MAIN game? Playing with infinite lives means a reset/reload every time I mis-time a jump over a long fall!

You can now enter rooms on ramps again.

I have added more fall height to CHEATJSW.

I have removed the XB loader since it's not working.

JSW.dsk

• Like 1

You can now enter rooms on ramps again.

I have added more fall height to CHEATJSW.

Thanks for fixing these.

However, I still can't get onto the upper levels as the "jumping when between two blocks" bug is back. I can't cross The Banyan Tree (not required to reach the upper levels) but in order to reach the upper (rooftop) levels, I cannot progress beyond the screen Nomen Luni for this same reason. Nomen Luni requires a jump from between two blocks to reach higher platforms.

post-25357-0-84627300-1431650250_thumb.jpg

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I'm going around in circles with some of these bug fixes, but I have hopes for this version.

I also fixed a nasty buffer overrun in The Attic causing the sound to become messed up. You couldn't hear this in Classic99 unless you did a Debug Reset.

And in Under the Drive I had to move a nasty object a little or it was impossible to complete. I think this is because the original has pixel precision collision detection with the nasty objects.

[Edit: Added source code and cartridge files. Let's call this version beta 2.]

JSW.dsk

jsw-source-beta2.zip

jsw.rpk

jsw3.bin

I'm going around in circles with some of these bug fixes, but I have hopes for this version.

I also fixed a nasty buffer overrun in The Attic causing the sound to become messed up. You couldn't hear this in Classic99 unless you did a Debug Reset.

And in Under the Drive I had to move a nasty object a little or it was impossible to complete. I think this is because the original has pixel precision collision detection with the nasty objects.

Not downloaded the latest version yet but your mention of a buffer underrun in "The Attic" made me genuinely laugh out loud. A bug in The Attic in the original ZX version was well known to cause issues elsewhere in the game, making it difficult (if not impossible) to complete the game.

I *DID* notice however that EVEN IN CHEAT/NO COLLISION MODE on earlier revisions of the Ti version, the grass in The Attic STILL registered a collision (along with some of the objects in the room to the right of The Attic).

Looks like The Attic has ghosts in your version as well as the original Sinclair release.

...Uh, I've already managed to wrap around. By jumping from Esmeralda's platform, I went through the top of the screen and ended up in The Ballroom East.

Edit: Yup, I just repeated it. Though, TBH, I have infinite lives enabled. It's a pity (for debugging purposes) we can't toggle infinite-lives/no collision in-game. I'm not sure if the same would happen (or if I'd die rather get knocked out of the screen) if I didn't have the cheat enabled.

It takes quite some skill and timing to reach Esmeralda with a normal compliment of lives and no cheats!

Edited by UKRetrogamer

Not downloaded the latest version yet but your mention of a buffer underrun in "The Attic" made me genuinely laugh out loud. A bug in The Attic in the original ZX version was well known to cause issues elsewhere in the game, making it difficult (if not impossible) to complete the game.

I *DID* notice however that EVEN IN CHEAT/NO COLLISION MODE on earlier revisions of the Ti version, the grass in The Attic STILL registered a collision (along with some of the objects in the room to the right of The Attic).

Looks like The Attic has ghosts in your version as well as the original Sinclair release.

It's the only room, I think, with 8 guardians (including the two arrows). Since my guardian table was full I was missing a zero byte to indicate the end of the table, so my routine to generate the sprites attributes, which are stored in PAD memory, continued into the >8400 (sound) region. Perhaps the original had a similar problem with the guardian table?

The cheat mode does not disable collision with 'nasty' objects.

Schmitzi: There are several ways to cheat: Run INFJSW (infinite lives) or CHEATJSW (infinite lives + no sprite collisions + fall any height). You can also use Fctn + > and Fctn + < on the TI keyboard to cycle between screens.

• Like 1

You could try this loader to see if it helps? It's a port of the Scratchpad loader a bunch of us put together a while back to XB, in /theory/, it should be able to load nearly anything that EA could, since after the first load is started, it runs entirely from scratchpad. With a little luck, whatever was biting you with the other loader may not happen here?

http://harmlesslion.com/software/loader

(The XB program is just made to resemble the EA loader, but you should be able to change that and resave it.)

yes he is. and thanks for that cheat, will try tonight :)

This is a really funny game. It is getting my favorite.....

Better keep playing. You've got 30 years of classic platforming to catch up on.

If you use emulators, try the original ZX Spectrum version. It was released on the Spectrum before any other platform as a sequel to the game "Manic Miner". The programmer, Matthew Smith admitted in an interview he saw Miner 2049'er and used this as a basis for HIS Miner game. The 1984 ZX Spectrum release of JSW is nearly identical to the latest Ti conversion although the character movement in Rasmus' version is much smoother.

There have been conversions of JSW to other platforms since it was released by Software Projects in 1984. IIRC, the most recent was a conversion to the Atari 8-bit range in 2007 (once again, based on the original ZX Spectrum version). An [extremely poor by comparison] commercially released Atari conversion was made back in 1987 but that's laughable compared to most other conversions past or present. The best thing about the 1987 Atari conversion was its music!

Up until recently, the VERY BEST version (IMHO) of JSW was Matthew Smith's original release for the ZX Spectrum. Having played the Ti version extensively since the first beta was released, I'm now torn between the Spectrum version (this probably owes more to nostalgia) and the new Ti conversion, as it shares so much with the ZX version and yet, manages to improve on it.

To the best of my knowledge, NONE of the other conversions were ever released on ROM cartridge either, for instant Willy gratification!

(Yes, I KNOW that sounds all KINDS of wrong but we ALL know it's the truth!)

Edited by UKRetrogamer

You could try this loader to see if it helps? It's a port of the Scratchpad loader a bunch of us put together a while back to XB, in /theory/, it should be able to load nearly anything that EA could, since after the first load is started, it runs entirely from scratchpad. With a little luck, whatever was biting you with the other loader may not happen here?

http://harmlesslion.com/software/loader

(The XB program is just made to resemble the EA loader, but you should be able to change that and resave it.)

Hi Tursi,

I have used your loader with my previous 5 games and it has always worked great. For some reason it didn't work with the previous version of JSW, but it seems to work fine now when I put it back in.

I'm loading code from >A000 to >FFFF and >2300 to >3FFF so I thought there might be a problem with the lower memory (which can usually only be loaded between >2700 and >3FXX with E/A#3).

The attached disk has nothing new except the LOAD program.

JSW.dsk

Jet Set Willy actually induced my love for classical music. I listened to JSW on the Speccy and asked my mother "What is this music with the three notes?". She explained it was Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and showed me the sheet music. Now, after 30+ years, it's still one of the only piano pieces I can play without errors. I wish I had more memory space to improve the TI version, but I had to keep it short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tr0otuiQuU

• Like 2