IGNORED

Jet Set Willy

Asmusr

I've only just noticed another difference between the Ti and ZX Spectrum version which can often result in loss of a lives.

In the original version, if Willy is stood upright (i.e. both feet on the ground with no legs stuck out) and turns to face in the opposite direction, the character model effectively flips to face in the opposite direction. No character animation, just a straight-forward horizontal flip. See edit below.

In the Ti version the character seems to go through a frame or two of animation which means Willy's tummy or a leg now protrudes a pixel or two, more often than not, into the path of an enemy.

In the original, climbing The Banyan Tree is much easier to judge and execute than in the Ti conversion.

Edit: My mistake. In the original, there is one frame between left-right which has Willy bring his legs together. In the Ti version, more often than not, the character model appears to move an extra frame or two, meaning a leg becomes stuck out. Sometimes his stomach can get him killed. On the original, if he's stood with his legs together (where his tummy is the furthest part protruding) you're unlikely to be killed. Feet protruding, yes but I don't remember his tummy getting caught by a baddy.

I'm beginning to doubt myself now. I must be getting tired...

I AM getting tired (which is why I've only just *IMAGINED* this).

Please disregard ALL OF THE ABOVE. Banyan Tree is a PITA in both versions.

Edited by UKRetrogamer
  • Like 3

Thanks Rasmus, for a brilliant conversion of this classic game. From reading some of the comments in this thread, it looks like you've introduced a handful of Ti-99ers to a new (old) world of Miner Willy and from the feedback, it sounds like they're enjoying every minute of gameplay. I know *I* am.

Apart from disabling the teleport keys (which I never used - cheat!) are there any further modifications from the previous release?

BTW, I made a post on the Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner Community forum to let them know about the latest conversion.

Thread here: http://jswmm.co.uk/topic/71-new-2015-ti-994a-conversion-of-jsw/

Looking forward to your next work of art.

(Crosses fingers: Please let it be Jet Pac?!)

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I'll burn a test cartridge for the boys to play with tonight! Do you plan to design a label for this one?

Great. One thing to look out for when testing the cartridge: with my cartridge, on two occasions, I saw strange sprites appearing in The Master Bedroom (this is two rooms to the left of the starting room). Perhaps something is wrong with my cart, but it could also be a general problem with uninitialized memory?

The cart file, BTW, was generated from Classic99 using the Make tool built into the debugger. Thank you Tursi!

About the label, I have not made anything yet, but I'm thinking it could be a big size label including part of the original design from the cassette inlay.

post-35226-0-63901900-1432270479_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We should all chip-in and buy Rasmus one of these:

https://www.bigmouthclothing.com/gaming_kids-t-shirts/jetsetwillytracekidstshirt.html

Actually, I'd like one myself but I've had a T-shirt with a flock Willy on it for about 6 years now, along with a flock Jet Pac one.

Hmm. Flock Willy doesn't sound like something you'd say in polite company, so I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

I've found another couple of "features" and unlike my previous ramble, I'm not imagining these ones.

If you climb the ladder in The West Bedroom while standing on the left-side of the ladder, you automatically lose a life when appearing in the adjoining screen as Willy bumps his head (hat?) on the inner sloping roof.

I've tested this on the ZX Spectrum version and this doesn't happen. On the original version, it looks like the jump animation is reset on arrival into the screen after climbing from the ladder.

Apologies for this late report. I've been playing the game from cartridge on real hardware since the (previous?) final release and taking different routes than I'd normally take while noodling around.

Also, In the screen "On The Roof", if you exit right, then double back, Willy doesn't climb the ramp and is killed on the tiles below the ramp.

In "The Watchtower", I've also collected the left-most (apple?) without it disappearing but I need to replicate this issue as it has only happened once so far.

post-25357-0-42255700-1432331520_thumb.jpg

Edited by UKRetrogamer

Regarding Matthew Smith: life has not been kind to him. Matthew had psychological issues from quite an early age. The money he earned from Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy pretty much fuelled his somewhat destructive personality. He ended up living in a commune in the Netherlands for quite a few years. During that time he drank and drugged himself pretty much into oblivion. When he eventually emerged (nobody knew where he was - his own mother presumed him dead) he had been permanently damaged. My suspicion is that he was possibly suffering from a mild form of schizophrenia and it was made worse through substance abuse. Also I think him being massively intelligent proved to be a burden. He peaked at an extraordinarily young age. Around 16. We've seen the same thing with childhood actors and childhood rock stars over the years. Matthew Smith's story is a tragic one.

• Like 1

If you climb the ladder in The West Bedroom while standing on the left-side of the ladder, you automatically lose a life when appearing in the adjoining screen as Willy bumps his head (hat?) on the inner sloping roof.

I've tested this on the ZX Spectrum version and this doesn't happen. On the original version, it looks like the jump animation is reset on arrival into the screen after climbing from the ladder.

Apologies for this late report. I've been playing the game from cartridge on real hardware since the (previous?) final release and taking different routes than I'd normally take while noodling around.

Also, In the screen "On The Roof", if you exit right, then double back, Willy doesn't climb the ramp and is killed on the tiles below the ramp.

In "The Watchtower", I've also collected the left-most (apple?) without it disappearing but I need to replicate this issue as it has only happened once so far.

attachicon.gifWB.jpg

Thank you for reporting these issues.

- The first could probably be fixed be clearing the jump flag when entering this room, as it appears it was done in the original. It could also be caused by missing pixel perfection when hitting nasty tiles.

- The second is more tricky because there is no ramp in "On the roof" - these are just diagonal floor tiles. Are you sure they work as a ramp in the original?

- The third with the Watchtower I think I also noticed once, but I ended up with the correct number of items so I just consider this to be a minor glitch.

None of this is preventing you for playing the game, so I'm not going to release another version now. But please keep the reports coming, and I might consider a bug fix version later on.

- The second is more tricky because there is no ramp in "On the roof" - these are just diagonal floor tiles. Are you sure they work as a ramp in the original?

This block definitely works as a ramp in the original.

I've noticed other things too, but before reporting them, I check them against the ZX Spectrum version. If I can do the same in the original, I don't report it as a feature.

In Rescue Esmeralda, the ramps on the upper right of this screen don't act like ramps in the Ti version. To climb them, you must jump onto them as though they were individual blocks. Is this something else you can patch for the bug-fix version?

None of this is preventing you for playing the game, so I'm not going to release another version now. But please keep the reports coming.

Will do. The game is *extremely* playable and apart from the soon to be released 2015 ZX Spectrum bug-fixed version, every conversion I've played has its own minor bugs and glitches. None of the issues which still exist in the Ti version are game-breaking so take your time. I'm (we're?) not expecting a new release after every report.
Edited by UKRetrogamer

Regarding Matthew Smith: life has not been kind to him. Matthew had psychological issues from quite an early age. The money he earned from Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy pretty much fuelled his somewhat destructive personality. He ended up living in a commune in the Netherlands for quite a few years. During that time he drank and drugged himself pretty much into oblivion. When he eventually emerged (nobody knew where he was - his own mother presumed him dead) he had been permanently damaged. My suspicion is that he was possibly suffering from a mild form of schizophrenia and it was made worse through substance abuse. Also I think him being massively intelligent proved to be a burden. He peaked at an extraordinarily young age. Around 16. We've seen the same thing with childhood actors and childhood rock stars over the years. Matthew Smith's story is a tragic one.

I agree totally, the guy was a supreme intellect and I think you are probably right about some underlying issues, I suppose we would all have to ask ourselves what would we have done with fame and fortune being thrust upon you when we were only sixteen?, I would like to think that I would have ended up in a better place than Matt-but would I?????

Back on topic, I have been playing this version for a few extended sessions and like SabreWulf, I find I am enjoying it more on the 4a than I ever did on the Spectrum. There is a fluidity to the 4a JSW that I think just edges it above the Spectrum version.

I do however-miss the strange clicky sounds and FX of the original(but not that much) ;)

Well done Rasmus, Thanks for a great coversion and for making me $50 poorer if there is a real cartridge release.

This block definitely works as a ramp in the original.

I think I understand the issue: The data structure doesn't define a ramp in these rooms (the length is zero), but it does define a ramp color attribute which is the same as the floor attribute. In the original game this turns all floor tiles into ramps because it depends on attributes for determining if a tile is a ramp. But on the TI I detect the tiles Willy is standing on from the character number and not from the color. Perhaps I can make a hack that displays floors using ramp characters if they have the same color as ramps?

Would this also make the ramps on the right side of "Rescue Esmeralda" work as expected?

Yep.

EDIT: This affects several rooms: Out on a limb, Rescue Esmerelda, I'm sure I've seen this before.., Up on the Battlements and On the Roof. Fortunately the fix works.

On second thoughts-maybe Ciro should just come up with something :-D

Yes, please.

....i done some Beta-tests :) ? ... could it be ? i just worked on originals styles :)

post-24673-0-84996500-1432413451_thumb.jpg

or

post-24673-0-37310000-1432413454_thumb.jpg post-24673-0-76722900-1432413457_thumb.jpg post-24673-0-72367300-1432413460_thumb.png

what you think about ?

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 4

'what you think about ?

You're definitely on the right track - it has to look goofy. I think I like the black one best, but how would a white or slightly tan one look?

A few corrections: It's 2015 ;-) and RAM should be all upper case.

Thanks,

Rasmus

• Like 1