IGNORED

How to I fix keys that get stuck? atari 800

The old Stackpole and HiTek keyboards use square-tube plungers that tend to crack at the corners under the stress of having a press-fit keycap shoved in them. When they crack, they don't hold the keycaps very well and they can expand enough to bind.

• Like 1

Where does one find Silicone lubricant? No seriously, I have no idea.

Any home improvement store - in the U.S., we're talking Lowes, Home Depot, etc. In fact, most larger general retail stores like Walmart will have it in their homewares section.

• Like 1

Also Auto Parts stores for silicone spray.

But, as Bryan said, check the plungers. If they are cracked, call Best Electronics for replacements (ALL OF THEM). If one is cracked/bad, then the rest can't be far behind.

Make SURE you know exactly what style keyboard you have, either yellow or white plungers BEFORE you call Brad. He is a great guy, I have met him personally, but he is very busy, and doesn't like to waste a lot of time on the phone.

(408) 278-1070 1:30PM to 5:00 PM Pacific Standard Time (Greenwich Mean Time - 8 Hours) Monday-Friday (no weekend).

Edited by Kyle22

Contact cleaner is for cleaning corrosion off of metal contacts. Lubricant is for reducing sliding friction. I thought the issue was excess friction here, not corrosion. If the sticking is actually due to contact corrosion... by all means yes: use the contact cleaner!

I have used CRC brand "Electronic Cleaner". It comes in an aerosol can. I buy it at auto parts stores for a few bucks. I have used it on countless motherboards, circuit boards, etc.without any problems. It dries with no residue. But, be sure it has dried (I should say eveaporated, as dried leaves the impression some is left behind, which there isn't) before energizing! The stuff is flamable. It also stinks and likely is not a healthy thing to breath too much of, so use common sense.

Edited by fujidude

The old Stackpole and HiTek keyboards use square-tube plungers that tend to crack at the corners under the stress of having a press-fit keycap shoved in them. When they crack, they don't hold the keycaps very well and they can expand enough to bind.

Is it a plunger and not a spring?

They are square under the keys. and youre right about the cracking

Is it a plunger and not a spring?

They are square under the keys. and youre right about the cracking

The plastic plunger is pretty much just a square tube with a bar across the middle to separate the contacts and little barb tabs at the bottom to keep it from coming out unless you really pull on it. Under it is a metal coil spring.