IGNORED

Graph2font not running on widows 8.1

Hi,

I am running 64bit windows 8.1 pro (as a VM on my mac) and 64bit windows 8.1 on a standard (32GB Ram, 8 core xenon) PC.

On both, whatever compatibility mode I select (XP SP3 for instance), I cannot g2f or ags to run. I have downloaded the latest ags and g2f from the site and all that happens is windows pops up a message:

This app can't run on your PC

Any ideas what I need to do?

sTeVE

For me g2f is working well on win 8.1 64 bit pro (with mc). When win 8 arrived I just upgraded my win 7 64 bit hp to win 8 pro (with mc) and updated it later to 8.1. So there might be some settings left, that where in win 7, that make it run for me.

PS: It runs without any compatibility settings made.

Edited by pps

• 4 years later...
On 5/12/2015 at 1:28 PM, tebe said:

run at first time

Hi,

Is there a chance to add a feature to Graph2Font:

To add/link to a G2F file, a RTM or SAP music file, so when it's compiled the xex will play music in the background (a screen with music).

Here is an example made by pps (screen by RastaConverter and music from a RTM, both together):

Screen with music.zip

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rensoup said:

works fine on my W8.1 64bit

5 years ago it was solved.

Now (2020) an interesting feature arises:

1 hour ago, tane said:

Hi,

To add/link to a G2F file, a RTM or SAP music file, so when it's compiled the xex will play music in the background (a screen with music).

Here is an example made by pps (screen by RastaConverter and music from a RTM, both together):

Screen with music.zip 609.57 kB · 5 downloads

2 hours ago, tane said:

5 years ago it was solved.

I figured there were a lot of folks still running W8.1 ?

(happens when you summon threads back from the dead and change the topic)

3 hours ago, tane said:

This seems like the kind of thing that could almost be done with a batch file... or at least with minimal change to the asm file that G2F creates.

In theory, all that's required is to include the player+tune and call RMT init and play.

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

(happens when you summon threads back from the dead and change the topic)

Just I didn't want to open a new topic, it's best everything related to a theme in the same topic.

This seems like the kind of thing that could almost be done with a batch file... or at least with minimal change to the asm file that G2F creates.

In theory, all that's required is to include the player+tune and call RMT init and play.

But it's really an interesting feature and it hasn't done yet, maybe it's not so easy. In the zip at least there is a working example.

1 hour ago, tane said:

But it's really an interesting feature and it hasn't done yet, maybe it's not so easy. In the zip at least there is a working example.

Here's a quick example: Odium by Piesiu playing turrican2.rmt (doesn't handle NTSC timing)

The exported G2F file is odium_original.asm

The updated one which plays the RMT is odium.asm

There are just 4 lines that are different, just do a file compare and do the same for other G2Fs

put mads.exe in your directory and run make

The only gotcha is the tune which must be *exported* with RMT at address $7000 (or whatever address is indicated by MODUL in the lab file)

odium.png

odium_g2f.zip odium.obx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tane said:

Hey, more than Thanks. That's exactly the target. I'll take a closer look this weekend.

Would you say it's the process with this SAP exported? bluemax.zip

Basically the SAP collection at ASMA is much larger than the RMTs.

(From topic):

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/300403-sap-conversions/?do=findComment&comment=4452048

I think SAP is a generic container, it contains the player code as well as the tune and they probably need to be located at a specific address in memory otherwise they'll just crash... that's why in my example the tune must exported with RMT PC

If my assumption above is right, a RMT tune converted to SAP is still a RMT tune with the RMT player included, same for CMC, and every other format.

If you're going to replay SAP tunes on a XL/XE you can't really do anything else unless you know exactly what parts of memory aren't used. So I'd suggest to scrap the idea of playing SAP with G2F

What can you do then ? The safest best is to have the same kind of scheme I did for any music player you want to use. I only know about RMT but I guess other players work in the same fashion.

Don't forget you can turn a SAP tune back into its original format with the Win32 player WASAP ( File info -> save as ), so any RMT tune turned into a SAP can be converted back and played with the example I posted.

• Like 1

To me this is a waste of resources, to use just some G2F image.

The combination of an RMT tune plus Rasta Image, helps to show the usage of the CPU.

It would be much more fun to have some small animation based on G2F running, while an RMT tune is played.

A small unpacker, showing character animations (decompressed on the flow)  plus some editor to create some small "films" .

Imagining a Gr. 10 screen , based on the hires Character Mode ANTIC 2 ...

Yes, I know, everything that could look impressive, isn't worth to be developed ;)

16 hours ago, rensoup said:

Here's a quick example: Odium by Piesiu playing turrican2.rmt (doesn't handle NTSC timing)

I did some tests: changed the screen and it works, however not the music: Files with new screen.zip

In this example the MODUL changed from $7000 to $6000 in the lab file, and turrican2_EXPORT7000.rmt was updated, but no luck, any idea of what's remaining?

A detail: in the original example when the music ends, the system crashes instead of making a loop.

42 minutes ago, emkay said:

To me this is a waste of resources, to use just some G2F image.

The image can be edited by "hand", you always know the output with G2F and the quality is best, also with RC the background (overscan) at left and right is always black, and also G2F has several interesting fade effects included.

51 minutes ago, emkay said:

It would be much more fun to have some small animation based on G2F running, while an RMT tune is played.

That's true. A combination of several G2F making a loop.

2 hours ago, tane said:

I did some tests: changed the screen and it works, however not the music: Files with new screen.zip

In this example the MODUL changed from $7000 to $6000 in the lab file, and turrican2_EXPORT7000.rmt was updated, but no luck, any idea of what's remaining?

the RMT file wasn't exported properly, not sure how you did it ?

2 hours ago, tane said:

A detail: in the original example when the music ends, the system crashes instead of making a loop.

oops, I added a KIL instruction when the tune finishes... just look for:

dta 2        ; end of song

in rmtplayr.a65 and remove the line.

odium.obx

the RMT file wasn't exported properly, not sure how you did it ?

Well, it wasn't the right way: I did it with DIS6502,  simply by setting the segment address to $6000.

How should it be done properly?

714565361_DIS6502-1.thumb.png.ad5f59f87ea024b3d34d647886e4228f.png

823739409_DIS6502-2.png.8da76b5c8d4e28628d3fb0281fd11f95.png

4 hours ago, emkay said:

The beginning of Boulder Dash is a good example:

turrican2_EXPORT6000 (bad done).rmt turrican2_EXPORT7000 (original).rmt

1 hour ago, tane said:

Well, it wasn't the right way: I did it with DIS6502,  simply by setting the segment address to $6000.

How should it be done properly?

ouch...

22 hours ago, rensoup said:

The only gotcha is the tune which must be *exported* with RMT at address $7000 (or whatever address is indicated by MODUL in the lab file)

Meaning you have load the file in the RMT PC app and export it, then in the dialog box change the org address

I did it!: odium.xex

37 minutes ago, rensoup said:

ouch...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ok, I supposed such box will not appear later:

RMT.png.3399e7427018fc7e8e4fbd87b513501c.png

3 hours ago, rensoup said:

oops, I added a KIL instruction when the tune finishes... just look for:

dta 2        ; end of song

in rmtplayr.a65 and remove the line.

Ok, now it doesn't lock and closes when the music ends, which I thought it'll be even better for a title screen. However, when then using Integrator 3.10 (made for G2F v3.9.6.0) for concatenate the title screen to the main XEX, it doesn't work at all.

Any idea if it's possible to make it compatible?

Otherwise it'll be useless for a title screen idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm proposing ( a long time now) some tool that allows to do G2F animations using a packer. Together with a fitting POKEY tune played, it could result in entertaining "Demos".

But, as reality is always different, on the C64 it is no problem.

This thing has 30K (file size) on the C64...

Edited by emkay
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, emkay said:

I'm proposing ( a long time now) some tool that allows to do G2F animations using a packer. Together with a fitting POKEY tune played, it could result in entertaining "Demos".

But, as reality is always different, on the C64 it is no problem.

This thing has 30K (file size) on the C64...

I am not familiar with the code for the TIP animator, but I wonder if a similar type compression could be used?  Scan each successive frame to only find "dirty" areas (those which changed)?