IGNORED

80 column infocom

sparkdrummer

The 80 column version moves some things around and uses another bank of VRAM. I made some modifications a year or two ago that came close, but without the source code it became a time sink. I asked Barry if he had the source - he was going to look around for it but that didn't one to fruition

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

Yeah, I think I have the same disk as you. Booting the 80 column version gives a screen full of funky characters. The game looks like its there but you can't read it. Thanks for looking!

I hunted down the files I had disassembled and modified back in 2013. In JS99er, the interpreter loads the game and I was able to play for a bit. I cannot find any record of what was left to fix, for all I know this won't even work on a standard controller or nanopeb/cf7, but you are welcome to give it a try. I did not find any of my 'project' notes so for now, this is all there is.

Infocom F18A beta.DSK

• Like 1

i tried to load it via DSK1 that is a Myarc 80 track on an 80track drive and it loads up and loads GAME1 of the infocom game but when it says to insert disk 2 and GAME2 is on the same disk i get a File Open Error.

I can tell the interpreter is in 80 column on the F18A though.

Chris

Edited by Cschneider

i tried to load it via DSK1 that is a Myarc 80 track on an 80track drive and it loads up and loads GAME1 of the infocom game but when it says to insert disk 2 and GAME2 is on the same disk i get a File Open Error.

I can tell the interpreter is in 80 column on the F18A though.

Chris

Sector edit INF82. Look for the hex string 0101 and change to 0202.

This will change from CALL FILES(1) to CALL FILES(2) equivalent. This may help the Myarc controller users, as for controllers using VDP, like TI and CorComp and nanoPEB, all bets are off.

I think

We have success. I just tried my copy of hitchhiker and my copy of zork 1 and it seems to work pretty darn good. My previous error was trying to load from boot, it didnt like that. Tried ea5 from a real cart and all seems well. Thank you for your efforts and your intelligence.

Chris

I got the same thing until I tried the game1 and game2 files off one of my disks. I tried hitchhiker and zork1.

Are those game files smaller? The VDP footprint for them may not be as extensive as the two I included. It is possible that after some gameplay, you will run into the character set corruption with zork or hitchhiker.