IGNORED

Kurt Cobain playing 2600

Garner

I remember when died. The general reaction seemed like shock but I remember not really being all that surprised. His music was a huge shift from what had been popular the previous decade. At first I didn't care for Nirvana but there music eventually grew on me.

• Like 2

That and, you know, Courtney Love straight up killed him by shooting him and then faking his suicide. That doesn't help...

She is a evil gold digging bitch.

Yeah I know that was the real truth.

Was just doing a public service announcement.

I used to listen to Nirvana like crazy! I remember that a certain game (pretty sure for the Game Gear) was made where the programmers were instructed to imitate "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in the background music. They copied it directly and got in trouble! I think it had a cartoon dinosaur in it, or something like that..

I (like the band) was not a big fan of "Smells Like Teen Spirit", but pretty much every other song was one I liked or loved! In Utero was a powerful record for me. I had the Rolling Stone from his interviews and when he died and clipped those parts. He was a big influence for me ('cept the suicide part), although I've drifted back into the eighties and seventies since his sudden departure (I listen to a LOT of classical music now, too). I also have speculated (and watched shows about) a conspiracy around his death. Although, to be fair, he was in terrible pain all the time (I guess he had stomach pain, like Napoleon, all the time), and he wrote a song called "I Hate Myself and I Want to Die". Dave Grohl really hit the booster rockets after all of that, although I haven't heard much about Chris Novoselic. I miss their style. Many of my friends thought that the band sold out. I thought they kept getting better.

• Like 1

Around the time that “Nevermind” hit its 20-year anniversary, I remember reading an article in which the author—a North American white male around my age—made the point that, over time, he found it difficult to look at Nirvana’s work as simply “music” anymore, because the experience of hearing it represented such a lucid and full-on evocation of his high school years. I consider myself a big Nirvana fan, but this is kind of the way I feel too, for better or for worse.

It’s kind of a cliché when people say that a certain album or artist “changed their life” but for me, that is absolutely the case with “Nevermind”. Not only did it turn me from a fan of cheesy corporate pop music (Vanilla Ice, C+C Music Factory, etc.) to a fan of rock and roll overnight, but after a few months of playing air guitar on tennis rackets to the songs, I realized I just *had* to learn how to play guitar for real. So I did, and it has been a major passion and source of enjoyment ever since.

I remember the day Kurt was found dead—April 8, 1994—the breaking news came over the radio while I was driving with a buddy to the music shop so I could buy my first acoustic guitar (I’d been playing electric guitar for a while already). It was near my birthday, so as a gift, my mom had written me a blank check to buy the instrument (“don’t go too crazy!”, she said). When we arrived at the store, the news was still so fresh that word had not yet spread. We walked into the store and broke the news to the staff and customers in there at the time, and everybody just kind of fell silent. Still in shock, I wasn’t much in the mood to shop, so I grabbed the first “entry level” guitar I could find that felt OK in my hands and bought it. I still have the hand-written receipt from that purchase, showing the date, price, and sales rep signature.

I watched Montage of Heck the other day, and it’s pretty good. When you’re a fan of a band like Nirvana for 25 years, eventually you get to a point where you feel like you’ve seen every single photo and video out there. There are lots and lots of videos and photos in MoH that I’ve never seen before, which was really cool to see. The film doesn’t really seem to take an “angle”, so much as it just serves as a vehicle to put all of these old videos and pictures on display for fans to take in.

If you’re intrigued by the murder theory, there is another film coming soon called “Soaked in Bleach” covering that:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmovies/article/Docudrama-SOAKED-IN-BLEACH-to-Be-Released-611-20150512#

Regarding that photo of Kurt playing Atari, I noticed that photo in the film and thought it looked like he was playing a 2600 but I wasn’t sure. I know he must have had some level of interest in classic video games, because I remember reading in the biography “Come As You Are” that he had a Space Invaders arcade cabinet in his garage at the Lake Washington property where he met his end. He was big into thrift stores and the like, so he would probably buy Atari games if he came across a big box of them.

• Like 2

I watched this doco the other night, it's very very well put together, really worth watching.

There's a lot of footage that I've already seen over the years, but enough new footage to keep you watching.

I never knew about his first girlfriend either, the interviews alone a worth the watch.

There's also the picture from when they played down in Cork in '91, I need to find where that bollard is and get a picture!

post-25249-0-60604100-1432202989_thumb.jpg

post-25249-0-96912200-1432202997_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Was also a Nirvana fan, well was my favorite for a long time in the 90's and still don't mind the odd song every now and then. First thing i disliked when Courtney or Kurt topped himself was no more albums :(

In-Utero was also a personal favorite album, it had that amazing grunge sound and every song was a classic. By far in my opinion it was the perfect album, while Unplugged was great it didn't have that grunge sound (obviously).

Bleach also was great with the classic song "love buzz" and Nevermind had some good songs, however In-Utero then Insecticide were the classics for me. Still got all the albums in my CD rack across the room although doubt i will ever get rid of them as they bring back a nostalgic feeling of my teen years.

One those bands you can't replace and when Kurt died it was a true loss to the music community.

• Like 1

I was big into the Screaming Trees once I discovered them in the early Nineties, followed by Alice in Chains. A friend of mine knew _way_ too much about music, and he ran a little record shop. He'd received a promo copy of Nevermind before it came out, and had declared that Nirvana were the band of the decade. I thought he was just posturing; I'd heard Bleach and liked bits of it, but it wasn't for me. They seemed simple, relied too much on the angst and too little on the songwriting (to my simple early 20's mind).

But to this day, Nevermind still blows me away. The changes in the songs, the way it all comes together, the production (Butch Vig!), and the way it delivers a feeling in nearly every song from Smells Like to Lounge Act to Something in the Way. Just an incredible record. And their unplugged set was stellar as well.

My friend was so right I couldn't believe that such a prediction had come true. And though Nirvana was never and will never be my favorite of the genre (I still love Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, and Alice in Chains more), I'm glad they nailed it so hard with Nevermind, allowing the grunge movement to reach the level it did.

And yeah, that crazed weehatch Courtney Love killed him. Along with that guy from the Mentors.

I was into PAW, soundgarden, AIC, pearl jam, screaming trees, and STP during that time. I never bought a nirvana record but did listen to the unplugged album. The music was too simple but thats what made it popular.

• 5 months later...

The Sega game with Smells Like Teen Spirit

I listen to a little bit of Nirvana. I got Bleach on vinyl the other day. Their lyrics are so good. I admit Smashing Pumpkins do more for me (especially Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie with some bits of Machina, Adore and Gish in there) but you can't deny what Nirvana did. Unfortunately I was born late 1990 so by the time I even heard Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time it was 2002-03 and since it was being played on the radio I assumed it was a new band.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

This thread just got dark in a hurry...

Why's that? It sure wasn't me that made it dark either! Sad some troll losers here need to be so unappreciative and sexist towards me.

I bet if it was a guy posting saying he was gonna interview Krist instead of me I bet y'all would be patting him on the back bigtime lol.

So Krist is my friend now and is gonna be on my show. I am alot more closer to Cobain than most people here ever would be!

I can't respond to Assgeld because I got this troll blocked! But I'm sure what he is saying is predictable,just spewing a bunch of hateful nonsense out of pure jealousy.

Look no need to be negative haters here!!! Y'all should be very proud a fellow AA member is gonna speak to Krist Novoselic and ask him what types of games he and Kurt played. If some of the few haters actually met me in real life they wouldn't even be wasting their times trying to diss,I would literally give the coat off my back to someone who needs it. You can't really judge anyone on the internet until you actually meet them.

Also getting Dave Grohl on my show as well as Frances Bean Cobain! We're all gonna talk about our favorite games :) It's gonna be a killer show a true video game fan should not miss.I've been corresponding with Krist on Twitter. That picture of Kurt playing 2600 is amazing btw. I'm definitely gona ask Krist what types of games they played.

post-22489-0-52643300-1558919230.jpg

LO fuckin L dude

me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me

me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me

be proud of ME and quit hating, great you know a guitar player clap clap

ps: nirvana was and always will be garbage in my book so your little tweet by some old fart I never heard of really is impressive

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

I have to agree with Osgeld. It has nothing to do with you being a woman or anyone being jealous. The fact is, you hijacked this thread and made it about you and promoting your show. In real life you may be a great person, but all I can go by, is what you typed. Calling people trolls and losers (not to mention the foul-mouthed name you called a fellow board member) because they didn't like how you hijacked the thread, is rather inappropriate and childish.

• Like 1