IGNORED

My top 10 consoles and games.

We are on a site called AtariAge and not one Atari console can break into your top 10.

Haha I kind of thought about this as I posted it. To be honest I only included PlayStation 1/2 because Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is arguably my favorite game of all time. That game aside I would say I enjoy the 2600 over any Sony console. Not much of a Jaguar fan though.

I think he means on what points do you make that observation, i.e. games you can play on it, specific game library only, technical specifications, technical specifications relative to competing consoles.

Well it's just preposterous to say that the 7800 is better than the PS1. It has better games than the 7800 in every genre. No game on the 7800 can compare to Final Fantasy 7, Crash Team Racing, Spyro 1/2/3, Gran Turismo 1/2 etc. Sure you could say the capabilities of the consoles of the 7800 era is the reason why no games compare to it so it may not be a "fair" comparison but that's the reason why Atari consoles aren't in my top 10 and if I included handhelds, it they would be even far back.

1. Nes

2. PS1

3. PS2

4. Gamecube

5. Dreamcast

6. Neo Geo

7. SNES

8. Xbox

9. Saturn

10. Genesis

11. N64

12. 3DO

13. Turbografx-16

14. Master System

15. PC Engine CD

16. Sega CD

17. Amiga CD32

18. FM Towns Marty

19. Atari XEGS

20. Intellivision

21. ColecoVision

22.Atari 7800

23. Atari 5200

24. Atari 2600

Edited by TheObscureGamer

I like playing Centipede on the 7800 more than all the games you listed (and really dislike most of the games you listed, actually). We shouldn't really say one is better than the other, but rather you prefer one over the other. Plus, the 7800 can play all 2600 games without issue. I call that a huge bonus for the little machine that could.

Well it's just preposterous to say that the 7800 is better than the PS1.

I'll personally play a 7800 over a ps1 any day as using it feels like more of an occasion, but you're right, it's hard to make the case that it's 'better.' I'd say 7800 and ps1 are close. If it wasn't so terribly common it'd do better for me.

Of the ataris, (IMO) the best case could be made for xegs (assuming we're rigidly sticking to consoles), and I'd put that way, way above any playstation. For one, it may actually have a larger library than all of them combined, and includes more games in some of my favorite genres like flight sims and shmups. The a8 platform was also high-end hardware for a time, which boosts it for me.

Edited by Reaperman

From what I own:

10.Wii

9.Xbox 360

8.GameCube

7.TG16

6.Snes

5.Colecovision

4.Atari 7800

3.Genesis

2.Sega Master

1.Nes

Games:

10.Jungle Hunt 2600

9.Ninja Golf 7800

8.Master of Darkness SMS

7.Super Contra Nes

6.Ikaruga GameCube

5.Bump n'Jump Colecovision

4.Gunstar Heroes Genesis

3.Blazing Lasers TG16

2.Batman Returns Snes

1.Little Samson Nes

Edited by Armonigann

10. Microsoft Xbox 360

9. Atari 5200 SuperSystem

8. Super Nintendo Entertainment System

7. Microsoft Xbox

6. Atari 7800 ProSystem (not taking backwards compatibility into account)

5. Sega Genesis

4. Atari Jaguar

3. Sega Master System

2. Nintendo Entertainment System

1. Atari 2600 Video Computer System

You know now that I have had time to think about it, I do not know what I was doing putting the Jaguar at 4th. It is 3rd at worst! Actually I do know what I was thinking. I have been playing quite a bit of the Master System lately and since it was really fresh in my mind I put it too high up on the list. Honestly the Jaguar could be as high as number one for me. I know it is a much maligned system, but I get a ton of enjoyment out of it.

So after much soul-searching, here is my new list:

10. Microsoft Xbox 360

9. Atari 5200 SuperSystem

8. Super Nintendo Entertainment System

7. Microsoft Xbox

6. Atari 7800 ProSystem (not taking backwards compatibility into account)

5. Sega Master System

4. Sega Genesis

3. Nintendo Entertainment System

2. Atari 2600 Video Computer System

1. Atari Jaguar 64-Bit Interactive Multimedia System

consoles:

1. dreamcast

2. ps3

3. ps vita

4. atari 2600

5. nes

6. ps1

7. amiga or sega cd if amiga doesn't count

8. gamecube

9. snes

10. game gear

games:

1. phantasy star iv (i played it on an emulator, i can't afford a physical copy of the game)

2. bubble bobble hence my pic

3. puyo pop fever

4. crazy taxi

5. outrun

6. alex kidd in miracle world

7. little big planet

8. mlb 15 the show

9. fallout 3

10. call of duty ghosts

Consoles:

10. Dreamcast

9. Atari 7800

8. Gamecube

7. Xbox

6. SNES

5. Xbox 360

4. SNES

3. Master System

2. PS2

1. Genesis

Games:

10. Ratchet & Clank Going Commando - PS2

9. Secret of Mana - SNES

8. Fire Emblem Path of Radiance - GC

7. Grandia II - DC

6. Streets of Rage 2 - Genesis

5. Fallout New Vegas - 360

4. Phantasy Star IV - Genesis

3. Resident Evil 4 - GC

2. Advance Wars 2 - GBA

1. Metal Gear Solid - PS1

• 2 months later...

Recently modded my Wii & Saturn and picked up a second used Xbox 360 so I thought since I was playing them all more and able to check out some new games I'd update my list.

1. SNES

2. Colecovision

3. Saturn

4. Xbox 360

5. NES

6. Atari 2600

7. Wii

8. GameCube

9. Genesis

10. Vectrex

No real update on my games list

• Like 1

I've given this some thought, and I can't do it. I can't pick just ten favorite consoles or games.

My take as well- if there wasn't something about a system/game I liked, I wouldn't buy it. Plus the experience playing varies so much from console to console and game to game... it feels unfair to try and narrow it down so much.

I am willing to note two systems as sort of 'favorites'- the Fairchild Channel F and the Playstation Vita. These are systems I enjoy completely separate from their games. The Fairchild is such an odd beast- game carts that work kind of like an 8-track, with buttons to access different programs... and that controller! Simultaneously utterly foreign and strangely intuitive. It's just fun to see how different gaming was/could be before the standards gelled in. The Vita is at the other end of the spectrum. It's almost a perfect console- good weight, comfortable to hold, responsive controls and touchscreen. A Vita just feels good to use, even just putzing around the menu. The only real faults are the proprietary memory and the mildly annoying 'every game has its own bubble' menu. Well, and the poor support driving it to an early grave thing, but that's another topic.

Recently modded my Wii & Saturn and picked up a second used Xbox 360 so I thought since I was playing them all more and able to check out some new games I'd update my list.

1. SNES

2. Colecovision

3. Saturn

4. Xbox 360

5. NES

6. Atari 2600

7. Wii

8. GameCube

9. Genesis

10. Vectrex

No real update on my games list

I got my Wii softmodded this past Summer. Got a 500 gig hard drive installed in it and got an NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and Mame emulators installed in it. I also have around 200 games burned onto it. Just that and my original xboxes are the only systems I have modded. I like to do so for my Saturn as well.

I got my Wii softmodded this past Summer. Got a 500 gig hard drive installed in it and got an NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and Mame emulators installed in it. I also have around 200 games burned onto it. Just that and my original xboxes are the only systems I have modded. I like to do so for my Saturn as well.

I can't recommend the Saturn mod enough plus the Saturn Region Patcher is a nicer alternative to the AR+. It's a cool system and being able to try out the games is great. I've downloaded about 60 of them and it's been overwhelming to try them and make a wishlist for what I'd like to actually own. The english translation scene seems to be going good for it as well.

I did the WASP Fusion for my Wii but mostly to try the GC Mario Party games, I'm glad I did so, I don't like MP4 and that's one that gets high praise. I haven't softmodded my Xbox yet but have plans to do so to mainly for emulation.

My take as well- if there wasn't something about a system/game I liked, I wouldn't buy it. Plus the experience playing varies so much from console to console and game to game... it feels unfair to try and narrow it down so much.

I agree with this. The reason it's easier for me is that some systems, while worth owning, just don't cut it for me entirely. I have a 5200 but let's face it, the controllers suck, it'll never make my top 10. I have a Y-adapter and the roller controller so it still is a system to own for me. Other systems, like the 7800, I just don't have enough games for it to make it a favorite yet. Then there's systems like the PS1 and the Xbox, they won't be favorites anytime soon because I can play the games on a PS2 or 360 due to the backwards compatibility but I still own them. And I'm not really counting portables just to make it easier,

Honestly, after my first 4 or 5 systems the rest just fall in there and could change order day to day.

Console:

1: Tiger game.com

2: Worlds of Wonder Actionmax

3: Bitcorp Gamate

4: Cybiko

5: Camputer Lynx

6: Apple Pippin

7: NES

8: Mattel Hyperscan

9: Bandai Playdia

10: Tiger R-Zone

Games:

E.T.

Beat 'em and eat 'em

Back to the Future (NES)

Barbie

BC Racers

Richard Burns Rally

Fighting is Magic

Airwolf

Donkey Kong Jr Math

Rise of the Robots

Console:

Games:

E.T.

Beat 'em and eat 'em

Back to the Future (NES)

Barbie

BC Racers

Richard Burns Rally

Fighting is Magic

Airwolf

Donkey Kong Jr Math

Rise of the Robots

Tiger Game.Com? I don't think I've ever seen anyone put that #1, or in any top 10 list.

Console:

Games:

E.T.

Beat 'em and eat 'em

Back to the Future (NES)

Barbie

BC Racers

Richard Burns Rally

Fighting is Magic

Airwolf

Donkey Kong Jr Math

Rise of the Robots

Tiger R-zone should've been ranked higher for this list.

Thanks for including Rise of the Robots but you forgot Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.

10. PS1

9.Colecovision

8. NES

7. Odyssey 2

6. SNES

5. Sega Master System

4.Vectrex

3.Atari 800

2. Atari 2600

1. Atari 7800

10. Ridge Racer

9. Frenzy

8. Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt

7. K.C. Munchkin

6. Street Fighter 2

5. Phantasy Star

4. Fortress of Narzod

3. Donkey Kong

2. Berzerk

1. Robotron 2084

H.E.R.O almost ties for 1st on the 2600. Centipede almost ties for first on the 7800.

Edited by adamchevy

• 3 weeks later...

Here are my top 10 favorite video game consoles in no particular order. I'm not including any handhelds.

1. Atari 2600

2. NES

3. Turbo Duo

4. Neo Geo

5. Super NES

6. Sega CDX

7. PlayStation

8. Dreamcast

9. PS2

10. Xbox

If I had to narrow it down to my top 5 favorite consoles, it would be the Atari 2600, NES, Turbo Duo, Neo Geo, and PlayStation.

It's too tough for me to come up with a top 10 list of my favorite games. I know I will leave something out that I really enjoy.

Edited by NeoTurboManiac