IGNORED

Dark Chambers to Gauntlet Conversion

CDS Games

We did a bit of rights checking and realized that there's an active trademark on Gauntlet that would likely be an issue. I'm not interested in giving Al any headaches in that respect, so while we're still putting together a full cartridge release for the store (including box & manual), it won't be a Gauntlet arcade conversion.

I believe that's the plan to offer it in the store, yes, although Al would be the one to ask. :)

I guess you figured out the potions....yeah, it's a bit of a pain unfortunately. But I'm not sure what else can be done without a special controller that not everyone will have.

I have a CBS Booster Grip in my collection and was wondering if there would be a way to create a ROM version where the potion/magic could be changed from the double click of the fire button to the 2nd button of the Booster Grip? (to use on a Harmony cart)

and/or

Something similar to Spiceware's Stay Frosty 2 where it can be played with the standard joystick or the Sega Genesis gamepad (uses 2 of the 3 buttons).

is this possible CDS?

Edited by Arenafoot

We did a bit of rights checking and realized that there's an active trademark on Gauntlet that would likely be an issue. I'm not interested in giving Al any headaches in that respect, so while we're still putting together a full cartridge release for the store (including box & manual), it won't be a Gauntlet arcade conversion.

I did an anagram of Gaunlet, and unfortunately, there's nothing that really sticks out as far as analternate title there.

http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=Gauntlet&t=1000&a=n

Did some synonyms. There's a couple in here that sound promising...

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/gauntlet?s=t

Have some fun. I'm really looking forward to this.

I have a CBS Booster Grip in my collection and was wondering if there would be a way to create a ROM version where the potion/magic could be changed from the double click of the fire button to the 2nd button of the Booster Grip? (to use on a Harmony cart)

I haven't had time to really dig into the code, but making a new ROM for a 2-button option would probably be fairly straightforward. It'd be tougher to make room for multiple read options on a single ROM.

I will post an update if I get around to it.

• Like 1

I did an anagram of Gaunlet, and unfortunately, there's nothing that really sticks out as far as analternate title there.

http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=Gauntlet&t=1000&a=n

Did some synonyms. There's a couple in here that sound promising...

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/gauntlet?s=t

Have some fun. I'm really looking forward to this.

Thanks! I was originally thinking of just renaming it "Mantlet", after the medieval siege armor. "Alliance" was another idea. But then I realized that the artwork would have to be totally replaced as well. Nuts.

So I pulled an old idea off the shelf for an RPG based on "The Golden Legend" by Jacob de Voragine, which isn't known much anymore but was a bestseller in the Middle Ages and a huge inspiration for Western Art for centuries. If you've heard the legend of St. George and the Dragon, that's where it comes from. Anyway, using saints as the heroes allowed me to use stained glass images for the characters, and it all sorta fell into place from there.

post-31389-0-62004600-1476466649_thumb.png

Here are a couple of screenshots. The hellmouths function like the generators in Gauntlet. Enemies will be demons, skeletons...you know, just your average run-of-the-mill army of the damned. :)

post-31389-0-04467800-1476466229_thumb.pngpost-31389-0-67477200-1476466241_thumb.png

Al will be debuting Golden Legends at Portland.

• Like 1

Angle Tut
Angel Tut
Glean Tut
Gauntlet
Aglet Tun
Aglet Nut
Gate Lunt
Geta Lunt
Leant Gut
Leant Tug
Laten Gut
Laten Tug
Tael Tung
Late Tung
Teal Tung
Tale Tung
Tela Tung
Neat Glut
Etna Glut
Ante Glut
Teat Lung
Tate Lung
Gault Net
Gault Ten
Tang Tule
Tang Lute
Gnat Tule
Gnat Lute
Gaunt Let
Gaunt Tel
Gat Lunet
Gat Unlet
Tag Lunet
Tag Unlet
Taunt Gel
Taunt Leg
Tuna Gelt
Aunt Gelt
Tat Lunge
Taut Glen

:rolling:

• 1 month later...

Does the name "Gauntlet" refer to an actual piece of armor or does it refer to the running of the gauntlet, as in the number of enemies and levels you encounter? If so, Onslaught would be a cool name!

Ed Logg mentioned in his talk that he thought the name worked well because "running of the Gauntlet" was pretty much what the game was all about. I'm guessing the armor also factored in though.

Onslaught would be a nice name. For some reason though I tend to be a purist about the names of arcade translations, so I'd rather just leave this as Gauntlet and do a separate spinoff with different branding.

Yep. Same engine and gameplay. It's basically a graphics hack.

So the ROM on 12-31-15 is the same as the final one for the "soon to be released" Golden Legends" except for the graphic changes?

Is there any way to get the "Gauntlet 2600" cart and label made (into the AA store)? Or is there a copyright infringement on it? Or I'm guessing a one-off cart could be made by Al??

Gauntlet can't be made commercially available through the store because of the active trademark.

But I will update the cart label with a higher-res version for those who want to assemble one-off carts.

Golden Legends was supposed to be in the AA store ca. November, I think. However, I've only seen it as a 'coming soon' item.

• 2 weeks later...

Gauntlet can't be made commercially available through the store because of the active trademark.

But I will update the cart label with a higher-res version for those who want to assemble one-off carts.

Is there a way to map the potion to be used with a different button on the Atari FB Portable? Nukey Shay has been changing the controls on ROMs to other buttons for the AFP, and I figured I'd ask.

I keep using the potion as I get it by accident each time.