IGNORED

Dark Chambers to Gauntlet Conversion

CDS Games

Gauntlet was one of my favorite games when I was a kid, and I dumped a ton of quarters into the Gauntlet arcade game.

Indeed, Gauntlet makes alot of fun. Especially the arcade-version in 4-player-simultan-mode. I remember, playing it with some of my friends back in the days. And Gauntlet also was a superb looking arcade-cabinet. It has an appealing look and you want to stick a coin in it. Same "problem" i had with the "Double Dragon" arcade-cabinets. It was like a must-play for me back in time. :)

• 1 year later...

Gauntlet is definitely one of my all time favourite games and it's awesome to see it on the VCS, love it CDS Games, great work! We're broadcasting an all hacks special LIVE on ZeroPage Homebrew tonight and we'll be featuring your hack of Gauntlet 2600!!

ZeroPage Twitch LiveStream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

We'll also be playing these games:

- Bouncer (hack of Boing!) by Scott Dayton "neotokeo2001"
- Wolfenstein VCS: The Next Mission (hack of Venture) by Scott Dayton "neotokeo2001" & Robert Mundschau

- River Raid Fantasy Mode (hack of River Raid) by Nukey Shay

The show will be livestreaming on Twitch at 7PM PT / 10PM ET, hope to see you all there!

post-37205-0-52920500-1535571309_thumb.png

• Like 2

Gauntlet is definitely one of my all time favourite games and it's awesome to see it on the VCS, love it CDS Games, great work! We're broadcasting an all hacks special LIVE on ZeroPage Homebrew tonight and we'll be featuring your hack of Gauntlet 2600!!

Thanks!! I was able to watch a bit of the show...sorry about the freezes and glitches, this is the first I've ever heard of that happening. So it's a scanline issue?

• Like 2

Thanks so much for watching the show! We'll definitely be giving the game another go on the stream with two players once you've got a stable picture with the line count fixed up.

The game looks like a lot of fun with all the changes made to Dark Chambers. Great job, keep it up, can't wait to try it again! :-)

Thanks!! I was able to watch a bit of the show...sorry about the freezes and glitches, this is the first I've ever heard of that happening. So it's a scanline issue?

• 4 weeks later...

"Running the gauntlet" basically was a form of punishment where a person would run through the middle of a row of soldiers slapping them with their armored fists. The word is derived from the French "Gantelet".

My vote is "Gantlet" for the official title. It's as close as you can get without copyright infringement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_the_gauntlet

The word in English was originally spelled gantelope or gantlope,[7] but soon its pronunciation was influenced by the unrelated word gauntlet, meaning an armored glove, derived from the French: gantelet.[1] The spelling changed with the pronunciation. Both senses of gauntlethad the variant spelling gantlet.[1] For the punishment, the spelling gantlet is preferred in American English usage guides by Bryan Garner and Robert Hartwell Fiske,[8][9] and is listed as a variant spelling of gauntlet by American dictionaries.[1][10] British dictionaries label gantlet as American.[11][12]

Ed Logg mentioned in his talk that he thought the name worked well because "running of the Gauntlet" was pretty much what the game was all about. I'm guessing the armor also factored in though.

Onslaught would be a nice name. For some reason though I tend to be a purist about the names of arcade translations, so I'd rather just leave this as Gauntlet and do a separate spinoff with different branding.

Edited by freshbrood

• 1 month later...

Heya CDS, I've found a few scanline count jumps that are still hanging around in two player mode:

- Jumps from 262 to 263 to 262 to 251 to 262 after pressing the button on the title screen to start the game

- Jumps from 262 to 251 for one frame when going into an exit just before the next level screen

To check them out you can turn on scanline count with ALT-L (in Stella windows) and also check out the frame by frame line count by going into debugger mode pressing the ~ key and pressing CTRL-F to advance frames. Happy bug hunting! :-)

post-37205-0-79806600-1543181686.jpg

Partial correction...I think!

I've got most everything to 262 scanlines. Hopefully it works cleanly in 2player mode, but 1-player mode is at 259 scanlines now so you may experience some jitter there.

Give it a shot, see what happens.

attachicon.gifGauntlet-ScanlineFix1.bin

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is incredible!  I've been playing and loving Dark Chambers on my Retron77. It reminds me a lot of Gauntlet, so I can see why you'd pick it to make this hack or mod.  I've got to get this game and try it. Thanks for making it. Looks like 728 is the newest build. I appreciate you labeling the versions clearly so that I can tell them apart. 

I was hoping by now this one would have made it to the AA store!!! I covered it in Volume 2 of my books series as the upcoming Golden Legends.

On 5/29/2021 at 1:00 PM, DarthDuke said:

This is incredible!  I've been playing and loving Dark Chambers on my Retron77. It reminds me a lot of Gauntlet, so I can see why you'd pick it to make this hack or mod.  I've got to get this game and try it. Thanks for making it. Looks like 728 is the newest build. I appreciate you labeling the versions clearly so that I can tell them apart. 

On 9/25/2018 at 7:00 AM, CDS Games said:

Partial correction...I think!

I've got most everything to 262 scanlines. Hopefully it works cleanly in 2player mode, but 1-player mode is at 259 scanlines now so you may experience some jitter there.

Give it a shot, see what happens.

Gauntlet-ScanlineFix1.bin 32 kB · 166 downloads

• 1 year later...