IGNORED

Dark Chambers to Gauntlet Conversion

CDS Games

It works on the portable? That's good to know.

I'm sure there is....I'll have to read through the threads and see if there are any quick code substitutions I can do.

It is perfect on the portable! (from what I can tell) Just need that button mapped to one of the many buttons on the portable.....

• 2 weeks later...

Done. You can easily map the potion to the second Sega controller trigger (with NO code shifting) by hacking INPT4 at $F8BA in the 3rd and 7th banks to be INPT1 instead. If it is to support both players, some tinkering is going to be needed - it's INPT3 on the other controller.

LDY Btable,x
LDA $00,y

Btable:
.byte $39 ;INPT1
.byte $3B ;INPT3

That's a difference of 6 bytes that need to be stolen from each of the two banks.

• Like 2

I haven't had time to really dig into the code, but making a new ROM for a 2-button option would probably be fairly straightforward. It'd be tougher to make room for multiple read options on a single ROM.

Not really using the above version...it's just 2 more bytes to scrounge up (use AND INPT4,x just after the LDA $00,y). Then it should support both controller options.

• Like 1

Try this. As with the portable hack, you'd need to hold down the other button and then tap the regular one for potions. It'll be more involved to have the button on it's own queue.

Which "other button"? I tried holding down the "T" button (color/bw) and tap the red (fire) button and it didn't use the potion.......... and I tried the others and couldn't get it to work.

The hack in this thread is for non-emulated consoles. You hold down the C button (INPT1) on a Sega Genesis controller and then tap the B button (INPT4). Have you been following the 2-button conversion thread? Some of these old games have really been improved there.

Anyway, 2 more bytes was easily found...so this version should work with either controller (2 buttons on Sega pads, or the previous crummy double tap on Atari sticks).

Gauntlet(EitherController).zip

• Like 1

BTW the hack in the AFP thread -does- work for that machine (I tried it out myself before posting it). The ingame pause via Color/B&W toggle wasn't needed there (since the AFP has it's own pause switch built-in), so it made the perfect choice. Hold T down and tap A.

It's just this one I'm not sure about. I haven't had an Atari console for 20 years.

Edited by Nukey Shay
  • Like 2

The hack in this thread is for non-emulated consoles. You hold down the C button (INPT1) on a Sega Genesis controller and then tap the B button (INPT4). Have you been following the 2-button conversion thread? Some of these old games have really been improved there.

Anyway, 2 more bytes was easily found...so this version should work with either controller (2 buttons on Sega pads, or the previous crummy double tap on Atari sticks).

my bad....thought it was for the AFP - one day I'll get a Sega controller for my 2600. Thanks for the hack!

BTW the hack in the AFP thread -does- work for that machine (I tried it out myself before posting it). The ingame pause via Color/B&W toggle wasn't needed there (since the AFP has it's own pause switch built-in), so it made the perfect choice. Hold T down and tap A.

It's just this one I'm not sure about. I haven't had an Atari console for 20 years.

I tried the other hack, it took 3 tries of holding T and hitting A to use the potion. I noticed it more of hitting both at the same time for it to work.

At least now I won't use it until I need it - big Thank You Nukey!

Fantastic, thanks Nukey!!

Actually now that I think about it, you should stick with the previous version for using Genny controllers...there's nothing to stop a misplaced double trigger from accidentally using a potion. If it's only looking at INPT1 being held, you can't use one by accident in this manner.

• 2 months later...

Awesome.

Do any of the demons or wizards shoot projectiles?

I was thinking, if they don't, instead of 2 different food sprites- use just one for food, and the other sprite could be a "majic orb" (aka poison) that demons suddenly make appear near your character. This is sorta like a ranged attack. Not sure if you could squeeze that into the main loop, or think it's a good idea..

They don't shoot unfortunately. I really wanted to implement shooting for the demons but couldn't come up with an easy solution. That's an interesting thought to use an object...however, I'm not sure though how you can get an object to appear like that, as they are typically placed at level start and you'd need a whole routine to place them during play.

I also considered using one of the dedicated enemy sprites, but the movement/speed patterns would be different and I couldn't figure out how to separate them from the regular enemies.

They don't shoot unfortunately. I really wanted to implement shooting for the demons but couldn't come up with an easy solution. That's an interesting thought to use an object...however, I'm not sure though how you can get an object to appear like that, as they are typically placed at level start and you'd need a whole routine to place them during play.

I also considered using one of the dedicated enemy sprites, but the movement/speed patterns would be different and I couldn't figure out how to separate them from the regular enemies.

Well, I noticed you have a few frames of death animation. I don't think it would detract from the game at all if you were to eliminate those to free up a bit more memory in the main, and perhaps use that extra space to add some kind of projectile to demons. (or lobbers, which could be the elf differently colored)

What if every other demon you hit changed into a missile?

For example, there's a 1 in 4 chance that instead of dying, the demon sprite would change into a missile sprite, greatly increase it's velocity towards the player, then disappear when it arrives at or near the player, either taking a tiny amount of health, or none at all (miss) if the player is more than a certain distance from the target square by the time the missile arrives.

-or-

Once the spawner created a certain number of demons (10?) every 11th one becomes a missile that shoots towards your direction from the spawner.

Then the player would be challenged to keep the number of demons lower or take out demon spawners because of the extra projectile threat.

Being shot would indicate the direction of the spawner also.

That might approximate the appearance/effect/feel of projectiles at least.

Anyways, awesome job!

Edited by freshbrood
  • Like 1

Well, I noticed you have a few frames of death animation. I don't think it would detract from the game at all if you were to eliminate those to free up a bit more memory in the main, and perhaps use that extra space to add some kind of projectile to demons. (or lobbers, which could be the elf differently colored)

That would indeed be a good trade...but the logistics are complicated. At least for me. :) I'll look into it though. Changing into a fireball sprite has the advantage of not requiring any extra RAM addresses.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just gave it a try. Pretty nice. Would it work on the Flashback Portable and do you only need 1 joystick (and button) to play this? I'm not very familiar with either Dark Chambers or Gauntlet but someone said it's a great game so I wanted to give it a try. I heard DC required 2 buttons.

Edit: just saw the posts about the potions and portable. If there was full instructions of the game somewhere it'd be cool. Also I take it the 2 button hack is for the Portable

Edited by Tangentg
  • Like 1

Just gave it a try. Pretty nice. Would it work on the Flashback Portable and do you only need 1 joystick (and button) to play this? I'm not very familiar with either Dark Chambers or Gauntlet but someone said it's a great game so I wanted to give it a try. I heard DC required 2 buttons.

Edit: just saw the posts about the potions and portable. If there was full instructions of the game somewhere it'd be cool. Also I take it the 2 button hack is for the Portable

Here's the instructions to DC: http://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=122

Here's the maps to G2600: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/238273-dark-chambers-to-gauntlet-conversion/?p=3259414

And yes, the 2 button hack is my request for the AFP.

I meant the full instructions for the 2600 version of Gauntlet (unless they're similar enough)

Gauntlet is a very easy game to play, but if you need instructions try this game: https://archive.org/details/arcade_gauntlet

It explains the gameplay in detail.

and that the 2-button download link is the one to get for the FBP.

yes that one would be the version to get for the AFP - on the original version to use the potion you have to hold down the fire button and I was using it when I didn't want to use it. Now its changed to a button above the fire button on the portable.

So the R difficulty button is used?

Alright, thanks.

see nukey's comments above ^

• Like 1

I meant the full instructions for the 2600 version of Gauntlet (unless they're similar enough)

Sorry that I've been slow getting things uploaded--I haven't had much time for Atari shenanigans.

Yes, there is an instruction manual. Here's a pdf (not the latest revision) GAUNTLET manual.pdf

And actually, I now have a color laser printer. Anyone interested in a hard copy? And what would be fair for something like that? I'd need to cover postage and materials at the very least. :)

Edited by CDS Games
  • Like 1

Sorry that I've been slow getting things uploaded--I haven't had much time for Atari shenanigans.

Yes, there is an instruction manual. Here's a pdf (not the latest revision) attachicon.gifGAUNTLET manual.pdf

And actually, I now have a color laser printer. Anyone interested in a hard copy? And what would be fair for something like that? I'd need to cover postage and materials at the very least. :)

Could you update it to reflect the latest revision? I wouldn't want to try following the manual but it turns out some stuff don't apply.

Could you update it to reflect the latest revision? I wouldn't want to try following the manual but it turns out some stuff don't apply.

I'm pretty sure it's not that old of a version....all the game play should be correct.

In the latest revisions I totally changed the layout to a 2-up booklet format for printing. If I try to pdf that, the pages will be all out of whack and it'll be unusable.