IGNORED

Introducing ADAMDsk - The Disk Image Manager for Coleco ADAM

plbyrd

I get the following error when trying to run it in Windows XP:

post-9212-0-89330600-1431582308_thumb.png

I am proud to announce the full availability of the new Disk Image Manager for the Coleco ADAM: ADAMDsk.

The project is fully open-source and both source code and Windows executable are available on CodePlex.

The documentation for ADAMDsk is located on the Adam Wiki.

I get the following error when trying to run it in Windows XP:

attachicon.giferror.png

Unfortunately, Microsoft ended support for .Net on XP at 4.0. ADAMDsk is written for .Net 4.5.1 and takes advantage of lots of new features in C# that are unavailable on XP. Given the fact that it's impossible to get security updates for XP, I would strongly recommend that you move to Windows 7 or 8.1.

That's unfortunate...I have too many programs I use on a regular basis that won't run on anything higher than XP.

Unfortunately, Microsoft ended support for .Net on XP at 4.0. ADAMDsk is written for .Net 4.5.1 and takes advantage of lots of new features in C# that are unavailable on XP. Given the fact that it's impossible to get security updates for XP, I would strongly recommend that you move to Windows 7 or 8.1.

• Like 1

That's unfortunate...I have too many programs I use on a regular basis that won't run on anything higher than XP.

Why won't they run on 32-bit Windows 7? I can see 64-bit causing an issue, but Windows 7 32-bit with backwards compatibility turned on runs practically everything that XP runs.

Some of the stuff I run probably shouldn't even run on Windows XP (yes, it's that old!!!). Can't afford to upgrade to Windows 7 or upgrade the programs.

Why won't they run on 32-bit Windows 7? I can see 64-bit causing an issue, but Windows 7 32-bit with backwards compatibility turned on runs practically everything that XP runs.

I highly recommend vmware. You can run windows 7 or higher 64 bit or whatever and vmware can run windows xp in a emulation window but effectively. I use all my older software this way. It also a great way to run programs you think might have a virus as the virus could only infect the virtual machine.

i use an olde vmware 6 and it works great you don't need the newest version.

Windows 7 and 8 also ship with Hyper-V, which is free and Microsoft allows you to run XP for free in a VM (no license needed) on Windows 7 and 8.

I highly recommend vmware. You can run windows 7 or higher 64 bit or whatever and vmware can run windows xp in a emulation window but effectively. I use all my older software this way. It also a great way to run programs you think might have a virus as the virus could only infect the virtual machine.

i use an olde vmware 6 and it works great you don't need the newest version.

On the Wiki page, it is stated that Multi-block support will eventually be added. Easy enough for now to just INIT the newly created Disk or DDP image with File Manager using ADAMem.

BTW... I dread the day that Windows Vista starts showing it's age like XP currently is as I hate Win 7 and 8. Part of the problem is that I have become an old dog that doesn't like to learn new tricks... nor have the time.

On the Wiki page, it is stated that Multi-block support will eventually be added. Easy enough for now to just INIT the newly created Disk or DDP image with File Manager using ADAMem.

BTW... I dread the day that Windows Vista starts showing it's age like XP currently is as I hate Win 7 and 8. Part of the problem is that I have become an old dog that doesn't like to learn new tricks... nor have the time.

Multi-block directories is next on my hit-list. I basically need to study some images that have multi-block directories and add the support in my image library.

Vista may go the way of the dodo, but the underlying functionality that allows it to use .Net 4.5 where XP cannot, is the DNA for Windows 7, 8, and 10. Microsoft says that Windows 10 will be the last major release and that changes will come in a more organic fashion. I suspect that the bones instilled with Vista will always be the basis for Windows in the future.

It pained me when I upgraded to XP...I really liked Windows ME which was the last version my sound card and ADAMem got along with. XP screwed up the sound when using ADAMem. I still run a number of Windows 3.1 programs on my XP machine...barely...

Yeah, it's nice to say, "you should upgrade"...but I simply can't afford to replace the software I use heavily let alone invest in a newer version of Windows.

My newest piece of software (other than free stuff you can download) is Corel Draw 8 which I believe is about 17 years old.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had to load Windows 7 on my son's old computer so my wife could do our taxes using TurboTax. I decided to load ADAMDsk on it, but I am totally not seeing anything that lets you create a Disk Image. There is a tab that says "New Image" but nothing happens when I click on it. This is v1.01. Any ideas?

New version up tonight. This one can create blank disk images. Same URL as before: http://adamdsk.codeplex.com

Make-Disk-Image.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
8 hours ago, FmrAdamuser said:

Is this still available anywhere?  Apparently Codeplex is shutting down and this is no longer available from those links.

Thanks,

Paul

AdamDsk is no longer supported by it’s author and Eric Pearson released a much better Windows utility for working with Adam images files called Adam Image Manager.

18 hours ago, NIAD said:

AdamDsk is no longer supported by it’s author and Eric Pearson released a much better Windows utility for working with Adam images files called Adam Image Manager.

Thank you, I did find AIM and it was giving me issues which I why I was searching for an alternate.  I finally got it to work, but I had to downgrade to 1.0 instead of using 1.1.  Whenever I tried to add a file to an Adam disk image, the app would close itself with no error message and without writing the file.  Using v1.0 will write the file and not crash.  If there's a newer version than 1.1 (which I found on adamarchive.org), I would appreciate a pointer to it so I can give it a try.

Thank you, again,

Paul