IGNORED

My nes keeps blinking with new 72 pin

Sorry I am new here and didn't know where to put this but I purchased a refurbished nes from dkoldies. And it said that it came with a new pin connector but it keeps blinking even if I cleaned the games for a LONG TIME so I thought maybe they put a bad pin connector in the system. So I purchased ANOTHER pin connector and it worked for a month or so now its having the same blinky power button and black screen and my warranty is up on the system so im out of ideas any help would be much appreciated.

The pin connector is from mcm electronics and I left it on for like 5 minutes straight and it kept blinking and I tested 12 games and I cleaned them all ive had this nes for a year I might take it all apart and clean it and put the pin back in and see if that works but at this point I honestly don't know.

Is the blinking screen grey or is it the boot screen?

Have you cleaned the NES board contacts?

Most NES 72 pins connectors replacement are utter crap. Even if many people have good faith when selling a console with a "brand new connector" they simply doomed the NES to never work again properly.

Is the blinking screen grey or is it the boot screen?

Have you cleaned the NES board contacts?

Most NES 72 pins connectors replacement are utter crap. Even if many people have good faith when selling a console with a "brand new connector" they simply doomed the NES to never work again properly.

It just gives the greyish black screen that flickers on and off from the power flashing.

It's a two way street--when you replace the 72-pin, you ALSO have to clean your cartridges (like, REALLY clean them). Otherwise, you are going to cake the new 72-pin with dirt and grime all over again which mostly defeats the purpose of replacing it to begin with.

• Like 1

i personaly never buy/use replacement pin connectors because they are mostly crap.

what i do instead is remove the old connector inspect it make sure the pins are not mangled

from someone sticking things inside them that dont need to be( then i just boil them!

i have done this for eight or so of the toasters that i own and they all work perfectly.

this cure works great for original connectors but not for most aftermarket (china made etc)parts.

• Like 1

i personaly never buy/use replacement pin connectors because they are mostly crap.

what i do instead is remove the old connector inspect it make sure the pins are not mangled

from someone sticking things inside them that dont need to be( then i just boil them!

i have done this for eight or so of the toasters that i own and they all work perfectly.

this cure works great for original connectors but not for most aftermarket (china made etc)parts.

Ya I was thinking of buying a old original pin connector of ebay and either cleaning it or rebending it is that a good idea?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, DKoldies tried to rip me off. This was about 5 years ago at least, but I sold them a lot of NES games (at a very good price!!) and on the very last day you could file a paypal claim....they DID without having ever contacting me about any issues prior to it. I am sure they assumed I had thrown away or lost the confirmation slip, but I didn't and proved they were delivered and did not have to pay them. I know it's unrelated but whenever I see that name mentioned I always say what happened....because I haven't forgotten!!

• Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again, DKoldies tried to rip me off. This was about 5 years ago at least, but I sold them a lot of NES games (at a very good price!!) and on the very last day you could file a paypal claim....they DID without having ever contacting me about any issues prior to it. I am sure they assumed I had thrown away or lost the confirmation slip, but I didn't and proved they were delivered and did not have to pay them. I know it's unrelated but whenever I see that name mentioned I always say what happened....because I haven't forgotten!!

I've purchased 3 systems from them before no problem but from now on I would rather just stick with ebay at this point especially considering how much they charge for an Atari 2600 ($150 refurbished).

Sorry but that doesn't usually fix the problem from most of what I have heard.

If you are flashing, disabling that lock-out chip can fix it. Disabling that chip prevents the system from resetting. You may still have another problem such as dirty contacts but getting game to work will be MUCH easier if that chip is disabled. There may be times where the game might load but the chip resets the game over and over.

It is very easy. The chip is near 2 small caps and you remove pin 4. I simply take a very small screwdriver and pry the pin out of the chip. That is very easy, just be careful of the caps. I don't recall which chip it is, from memory it is on lower right side of board and is a smaller chip.

Edited by icemanxp300
  • Like 1

if the screen is grey, it's because your game isn't read at all. It can be caused by a faulty connector, of course, but also by a dirty game.

Or both. It's usually both when you get a gray screen.

The simplest and non-damaging way to clean your game contacts is...

Cardboard.

Yeah. No kidding here. Find yourself a bit of cardboard (the fat brown one from packing boxes) and rub it into your cartride. I bet that all your games arz going to make it all grayish in a matter of seconds.

As for the connector, you're better by buying an original one, cleaning it good and bending the pins back with a ruler, indeed.

Yeah. No kidding here. Find yourself a bit of cardboard (the fat brown one from packing boxes) and rub it into your cartride. I bet that all your games arz going to make it all grayish in a matter of seconds.

I use a piece of soft piece of wood like a wood shim from the hardware store. A very legit technique, the Navy teaches this in their soldering school to remove oxidation from circuit board pads. However they call it an orange stick. I call it a corndog stick.

• Like 1

I use a piece of soft piece of wood like a wood shim from the hardware store. A very legit technique, the Navy teaches this in their soldering school to remove oxidation from circuit board pads. However they call it an orange stick. I call it a corndog stick.

Well cardboard is transformer wood :D I4m not surprised. The result is the same : wood fibers are slightly abrasive, but so soft they won't damage the PCB or copper tracks so it's a safe method.

Cardboard is more available on most houses tho.

Got sick of my two machines not working. Cleaned the daylights out of games with Deoxit and ScotchBrite. Slightly positive results: some games worked more often than before.

I cleaned and adjusted pins in an old connector in one machine. Put new connector in another. Same basic results for both: slightly positive results: non-functional condition improved a little bit.

Did the mod to disable lockout on one machine: results very positive. Did the mod on the other machine: results very positive.

Never heard of boiling the connector.

Anybody care to put forth a theory as to what boiling the connector does?

It can't be hot enough to deform/re-form the pins.

Could remove some oily types of residue.

I read there are different replacement connectors out there, some work fine and many are complete garbage. I've also heard there were official Nintendo replacement connectors available but those are all probably gone now.

I lucked out and got one that works well, but it was very tight when I first installed it. Almost needed a tow truck to pull the carts back out. It has loosed up some since then though. I'm thinking of getting an Everdrive N8 and just loading all the games on it and leaving it in there permanently.