IGNORED

My nes keeps blinking with new 72 pin

Never heard of boiling the connector.

Anybody care to put forth a theory as to what boiling the connector does?

It can't be hot enough to deform/re-form the pins.

Could remove some oily types of residue.

Never heard of either, but sounds like a bad idea. IMO it's more likely to damage the plating and expose the connector to oxydation with the water.

From my understanding boiling does re-align the pins "a little" but from my experience it seems as if they don't move at all. It is a 2 part process. Boil and bake. You boil the connectors for 10 minutes, shake the water out in a towel and then bake for another 10 minutes at like 200. I have done this at least 15-20 times, with varying results.

The two most important things is disabling lock-out chip, and cleaning board contacts. I actually brasso them then coat with deoxit gold for the best results.

If you boil and bake pin, remove lock-out chip, and clean board pins as well as game pins, you are golden. I have noticed the edge pins get bent apart and those are the pins that cause you the problems w/having to push cart to left or right and this and that.

I wish I'd known about the cardboard method of cleaning years ago. I got a Genesis 2 recently and it worked alright but it was a little finicky about being touched and I had to seat games a few times. I just spent some time with a piece of cardboard and the stack of carts I had and bam, it's solid now. Got lots of gray stuff off. I even wiggled the system a bit to see while playing Sonic and no troubles..

New 72 pin+disabled lock out+really cleaning your carts=total success. (for me anyway)

= Me.

Disabling the lock-out is unnecessary if the other two categories can be fully checked. :)

Granted, if it's someone with a 600+ cart collection that gets frequently played, then yeah.. it's probably not an ideal scenario for them. That's a lot of cleaning..

For the last 15 years I have been using my top loader NES for gaming. I still have my front loader, but is still in the closet. I got tired of replacing and dealing with the hassles of pin connectors. Buy from ebay, wait for it shipped, take the system apart, put it together, game on it, repeat process. Prices are pretty high for top loaders but they are worth owning. Bad thing is they don't come with av output. I think only a very few were made, but can always mod It. And you see these barely visible lines on the screen. But I really enjoy it though. No hassles.

• Like 1

Myself, the next NES I buy will sit around for no more than 10 minutes before it gets the lockout mod.

I'd like to do a conversion that does away with that ZIF style socket and the "push down to load" business altogether. Or get a top loader.

I'd like to do a conversion that does away with that ZIF style socket and the "push down to load" business altogether. Or get a top loader.

Here's something I was working on several years ago. I never got around to making a case for it. I was thinking chrome toaster or Mario plush toy where one would jam the cart up the toy's ass in remembrance of the 72 pin connector.

post-5530-0-81547700-1431893140_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

top loader nes systems are only around the $100 dollar range and the kits like $25-30 and I already got all the tools and skill to install it so if I had the $130 is it worth it?

Sorry I am new here and didn't know where to put this but I purchased a refurbished nes from dkoldies.

You go from paying to have a pin connector replaced to all of the sudden a/v modding a top loader.....right.

= Me.

Disabling the lock-out is unnecessary if the other two categories can be fully checked. :)

Granted, if it's someone with a 600+ cart collection that gets frequently played, then yeah.. it's probably not an ideal scenario for them. That's a lot of cleaning..

Yeah I just figured why NOT do it....it's so simple to do and can't hurt (that I know of).

I clean everything coming in...it does get tiresome.

You go from paying to have a pin connector replaced to all of the sudden a/v modding a top loader.....right.

I was just saying it could be a option if I can't get this sorted out but I guess I could try to remove the lockout like everyone here recommends but im afraid of destroying my nes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMCj2VosLc

He uses an exacto knife, I simply use a tiny flat head screwdriver for like eye glasses repair.

I think I will just buy an original 72 pin of ebay rebend them and polish them and see what happens but since im a kid and have no money I might have to wait a week or two till I can buy the pin :P .

I think I will just buy an original 72 pin of ebay rebend them and polish them and see what happens but since im a kid and have no money I might have to wait a week or two till I can buy the pin :P .

Have you bothered to clean your carts?

[...] but im afraid of destroying my nes.

I didn't destroy either of mine. You probably won't either.

If you do have reasonably good mechanical skills, go ahead and do it. Getting all of the screws back in their proper locations is harder than doing the actual mod.

Besides, I have two and need to get rid of one. If you destroy yours I'll make you a good deal on a replacement that's already modded. Win-win. ;)

Edited by BigO

I was just saying it could be a option if I can't get this sorted out but I guess I could try to remove the lockout like everyone here recommends but im afraid of destroying my nes.

I am about as non technical as it gets. I can't solder, I don't know circuitry. But this "mod" is just taking the thing apart, literally breaking a piece off the chip (it's easy) and putting the NES back together in the right order. My biggest frustration was losing one of the screws. Find a good faq, follow it. You can do it.

I've cleaned them to the point where there is absolutely no dirt or grime on the q tips with rubbing alcohol on them.

I don't think the qtip and alcohol does nearly as much as opening up the carts and actually rubbing those contacts with one of those grey erasers they sell on ebay or wherever. Qtips and alcohol get dirt off but so far as I can see they do bupkiss to oxidation etc.

• Like 1

I don't think the qtip and alcohol does nearly as much as opening up the carts and actually rubbing those contacts with one of those grey erasers they sell on ebay or wherever. Qtips and alcohol get dirt off but so far as I can see they do bupkiss to oxidation etc.

Agreed. I've used tech grade alcohol and high grade chamois swabs and rubbed a bunch more oxidation off after cleaning with q-tips. Still had problems.

Got hardcore with hemostats, Scotch-Brite and Deoxit without taking the carts apart. Much better results. An "ink eraser" should be abrasive enough to get the job done. The advantage of the Deoxit is that it reduces future oxidation.

Agreed. I've used tech grade alcohol and high grade chamois swabs and rubbed a bunch more oxidation off after cleaning with q-tips. Still had problems.

Got hardcore with hemostats, Scotch-Brite and Deoxit without taking the carts apart. Much better results. An "ink eraser" should be abrasive enough to get the job done. The advantage of the Deoxit is that it reduces future oxidation.

Pretty much my experience too. I had my original collection from childhood of 30-40 carts. When I really got back into NES 5-6 years ago, I just alcohol cleaned them. But still had issues with a lot of them. I finally broke down and bought the bit tool and the grey eraser and opened them up to clean them. Huge pain i admit, but a huge difference immediately.