IGNORED

I don't agree that Jaguar is one of the worst systems (see article)

2d gamer

They did put it pretty low on the list considering there are only a few other north american systems that could've really taken it's place:

(1) Atari XEGS

(2) Bandai Pippin

(3) Nuon

(4) CDi

(5) Laseractive

(6) CDTV

(7) Neo Geo CD

[8] Memorex VIS

(9) Tomy Tutor

(?) Sega CD / 32X if it wasn't counted with the genesis

There are more, but they don't come to mind atm. They also disregarded every single system that didn't get a North American release.

Personally I was never a fan of the turbografx and felt the intellivision and colecovision were pretty unnecessary if you had a 2600.

Still, I don't see the need for a list like that. I don't think systems from different generations are really all that comparable. If anything I prefer to bracket them by generation.

Edited by Willard

Personally I was never a fan of the turbografx and felt the intellivision and colecovision were pretty unnecessary if you had a 2600.

Blasphemy! The INTV had a bunch of great games, awesome port of Burger Time as well. AFAIK the 2600 never had anything like Utopia either. Sure the controllers weren't the best for action games, but still an enjoyable system that stands on its own. The Coleco did a great job, at the time, of bringing arcade games home. Look at Donkey Kong, DK Jr. and Popeye for example vs the 2600 versions. No contest.

• Like 2

'Best and worse' can mean different things to different people. For me, the NES is actually the 'worst' console of all time. I feel it's disingenuous for me at the personal level to judge consoles I've never owned or played based on what others say. My NES was awesome when it came to having great games, great controllers, and an initial great experience. After a few years, however, my NES stopped working correctly (which most of them eventually did) due to the cartridge connector getting worn and dirty. This meant that I had a great console that soon became unplayable and effectively bricked. As a kid at the time I didn't know why it stopped working, There was no internet to order parts or get help from, the warranty was expired, I didn't know where or if it could be repaired, and my parents didn't really give two shits about my Nintendo not working. I could save and get a new one or go without. 20+ years later I still have a bitter taste in my mouth about the NES and I only play NES via emulation, virtual console, etc . I can't come out and say the NES raped my childhood, but it did abuse it long and hard.

Oh common, we all know deep down inside that the Atari 5200 is the worst Atari game system. At least out of the box.

Ouch! But, yeah, thanks to those damn standard controllers, I'd have to reluctantly agree - but only "out of the box"

Once they are replaced with something sturdier and more functional, it rockets to near the top of the list. At least, IMHO.

• Like 1

Magnavox Odyssey 2 beat the Jag? I don't think so....

Another subjective list...not worth the debate really.

Why not? The Odyssey2 is an excellent system relative to its era with a nice library of high quality and often unique software. Once you factor in all of the overseas variations of the system and the additional influx of software, as well as a solid homebrew community, it's easy enough to see why it's one of the secondary platforms to be reckoned with. The Voice is also one of the great speech add-ons.

• Like 1

I'm always lax to bash a system when it never really gets off the ground. There weren't much programming on it that was worthwhile. However, the CD system was a hunk of crap, the controller was putrid, and far too many games run choppy. I loved the box art and styling, but have no interest in owning it.