IGNORED

Floppy Days Podcast Discussion Thread

Hi, all. I wanted to start a discussion thread about the episodes of the Floppy Days Podcast on vintage computing. Each time I post an episode, I'll put a summary here and everyone please feel free to comment about the show. I invite and in fact encourage everyone to let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Randy Kindig

host Floppy Days Podcast floppydays.com, iTunes, or Stitcher.com

Twitter: @floppydays

Email: floppydays@gmail.com

• Like 1

Floppy Days Episode 36, The Atari 400 & 800 Part II

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-episode-36-the-atari-400800-part-ii

Welcome to part 2 of the now 3 part episode covering the Atari 400 & 800 computers. This episode will cover tech specs, peripherals, using the machines, and magazines for the Atari, as well as memories, new acquisitions, and news. I’m very happy to have pretty much the entire Atari 8-bit podcasting group as special guest hosts helping me cover these topics. This includes Wade from Inverse Atascii, Rob of Player/Missile, Jack of RCR, Kevin from Antic, and Brad from Antic. We also have memories from Bill of Antic. Enjoy!!

• Like 1

Floppy Days Episode 37, Interview with John Linville, author of Fahrfall for the CoCo

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-37-john-linville-author-fahrfall

Welcome to the Floppy Days Podcast. My name is Randy Kindig and I’m your host. This is an interview-only episode of Floppy Days. I was recently at Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 3.0 in Roswell, GA, and I had a chance to sit down with John Linville. John is a legend in the Tandy Color Computer circles and has produced a cartridge for the CoCo containing a fun game called Fahrfall. This is an exciting development for the CoCo community and John tells us all about it.

Floppy Days Episode 38, Anniversary Computers, with The History of Personal Computing Podcast

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-38-anniversary-computers-with-history-of-personal-computing

Hi Everyone, and welcome to this special edition of The History of Floppy Days… uh, I mean, One o’clock, Two o’clock, Three o’clock Personal Computing! No, that’s not right… No… wait, it’s the combo podcast of Floppy Days AND The History of Personal Computing podcast! We’re live, here at the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast with hosts David Greelish, Jeff Salzman and Randy Kindig!

We have three significant machines to discuss on this special podcast, as we’re celebrating three significant milestones in the history of personal computing this year. First, it’s the fiftieth anniversary of the DEC pdp-8, then it’s the fortieth anniversary of the Altair 8800, and lastly, it’s the thirtieth anniversary of the Commodore Amiga.

Floppy Days Episode 39, Joint Podcast: Inverse Antic Personal Computing Floppy Maccast

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-39-inverse-antic-personal-computing-floppy-maccast

In this special joint podcast, live from VCF Southeast 3.0, we discuss our favorite parts of the show, play a game of “Never Have I Ever”, and more!

Podcast Title: “Inverse Antic Personal Computing Floppy Maccast”

It includes hosts from Floppy Days, Inverse ATASCII, Antic, The History of Personal Computing, and the RetroMaccast.

• Like 1

Floppy Days Episode 36, The Atari 400 & 800 Part II

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-episode-36-the-atari-400800-part-ii

Welcome to part 2 of the now 3 part episode covering the Atari 400 & 800 computers. This episode will cover tech specs, peripherals, using the machines, and magazines for the Atari, as well as memories, new acquisitions, and news. I’m very happy to have pretty much the entire Atari 8-bit podcasting group as special guest hosts helping me cover these topics. This includes Wade from Inverse Atascii, Rob of Player/Missile, Jack of RCR, Kevin from Antic, and Brad from Antic. We also have memories from Bill of Antic. Enjoy!!

I especially like this one. :D

• Like 1

Floppy Days Episode 39, Joint Podcast: Inverse Antic Personal Computing Floppy Maccast

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-39-inverse-antic-personal-computing-floppy-maccast

In this special joint podcast, live from VCF Southeast 3.0, we discuss our favorite parts of the show, play a game of “Never Have I Ever”, and more!

Podcast Title: “Inverse Antic Personal Computing Floppy Maccast”

It includes hosts from Floppy Days, Inverse ATASCII, Antic, The History of Personal Computing, and the RetroMaccast.

And this one is at the top of my list too. :D

• Like 1

Floppy Days Episode 40, The Atari 400 & 800, Part III

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-40-the-atari-400800-part-iii

Welcome to part 3 of the now 3 part episode covering the Atari 400 & 800 computers. This episode will cover Web sites, emulation, books, software, modern upgrades, connectivity to modern computers, and much more. I’m very happy to have pretty much the entire Atari 8-bit podcasting group as special guest hosts helping me cover these topics. This includes Wade from Inverse Atascii (http://inverseatascii.info/ ) , Rob of Player/Missile (http://playermissile.com/ ), Jack of RCR (http://rcrpodcast.com/ ), Kevin from Antic (http://ataripodcast.com/ ), and Brad from Antic (http://ataripodcast.com/ ). Enjoy!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Do you think you could possibly "interface" with the "Antic - the Atari 8-bit Podcast" interviews a little bit, and "take up the slack" where some of the non-A8 information is concerned?

You guys are producing *complete gold* with these interviews, be they A8 or not. But sometimes, the discussion necessarily crosses the 8-bit line. While you have the guy/gal on the line, rather than shush them because it's "not A8 related," it would be nice to have that conversation continue, and perhaps be routed to a separate (if that's necessary) to a Floppy Days Podcast. Sometimes, it seems as if we're on the verge of an ST, Amiga, Commodore 64, or even Atari Video Game System epilogue but focusing on A8-only means "we don't care."

It seems to me that the Atari 2600, Atari 400/800, Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore 64, and even the Commodore VIC-20 are somewhat inexorably-intertwined, due to the timeline, and especially with Atari engineers designing Amigas and Commodore engineers designing Atari STs. If the excellent ANTIC podcast can't accommodate that excellent-and-relevant history, can Floppy Days be pointed to take up the slack? These are much-favorite systems (all of them) and the Atari8 is a big part, but only part of the story. Some of the people in the (EXCELLENT AND I DO MEAN EXCELLENT) ANTIC podcast interviews seem like they might have interesting things to say about 2600, ST, Amiga, etc. (because of the intertwined history) and it's not relevant to that specific podcast, unfortunately. Floppy Days, please step in!!! Love ANTIC podcast, Floppy Days podcast, and all that you fellows do, however. Amazing body of work!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Do you think you could possibly "interface" with the "Antic - the Atari 8-bit Podcast" interviews a little bit, and "take up the slack" where some of the non-A8 information is concerned?

You guys are producing *complete gold* with these interviews, be they A8 or not. But sometimes, the discussion necessarily crosses the 8-bit line. While you have the guy/gal on the line, rather than shush them because it's "not A8 related," it would be nice to have that conversation continue, and perhaps be routed to a separate (if that's necessary) to a Floppy Days Podcast. Sometimes, it seems as if we're on the verge of an ST, Amiga, Commodore 64, or even Atari Video Game System epilogue but focusing on A8-only means "we don't care."

It seems to me that the Atari 2600, Atari 400/800, Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore 64, and even the Commodore VIC-20 are somewhat inexorably-intertwined, due to the timeline, and especially with Atari engineers designing Amigas and Commodore engineers designing Atari STs. If the excellent ANTIC podcast can't accommodate that excellent-and-relevant history, can Floppy Days be pointed to take up the slack? These are much-favorite systems (all of them) and the Atari8 is a big part, but only part of the story. Some of the people in the (EXCELLENT AND I DO MEAN EXCELLENT) ANTIC podcast interviews seem like they might have interesting things to say about 2600, ST, Amiga, etc. (because of the intertwined history) and it's not relevant to that specific podcast, unfortunately. Floppy Days, please step in!!! Love ANTIC podcast, Floppy Days podcast, and all that you fellows do, however. Amazing body of work!

Hi, wood_jl,

I do see what you mean and I'm trying to get more interviews for Floppy Days, for the non-Atari 8-bit topics. I've had the same thoughts. I've done numerous interviews on Floppy Days. It's difficult with all the interviews happening for Antic to have a lot of time to do more interviews for Floppy Days. However, for instance, when I interviewed Joe Decuir for Antic he mentioned his work on the Amiga and I've discussed with him to have another interview for Floppy Days about the Amiga.

thanks

Randy

• Like 1

Floppy Days Episode 41 - Jason Scott

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-41-jason-scott-every-computer-in-your-browser

Jason Scott Presentation at VCF Southeast 3.0 in Roswell, GA, May 2, 2015.

This is the Floppy Days Podcast on vintage computing and my name is Randy Kindig. This is a special episode featuring Jason Scott of archive.org fame. Many of you will be familiar with Jason Scott and the work he does in helping to preserve media and content, including content associated with our beloved vintage computers. You may or may not be as familiar with the work also being done to emulate vintage computers and vintage gaming platforms in a browser.

On May 2, 2015 Jason Scott gave a presentation to the crowd at VCF Southeast entitled “Every Computer in Your Browser-The Internet Archive Emulated Software Collection.” Jason and the VCFSE organizers were kind enough to agree to allow me to rebroadcast this presentation on Floppy Days to help get the word out about all the great work being done to preserve our machines. Jason also had presentation material to go along with the talk that I am posting on the Floppy Days site for your enjoyment.

Jason Scott is a Free-Range Archivist at the Internet Archive (archive.org), home of the Wayback Machine and 20 petabytes of saved media and content, provided for free for all. As the software curator, he is responsible for JSMESS project and integration into the Internet Archive's seemingly-endless pile of software, making it playable. He lives in Hopewell Junction, NY, mere hundreds of feet from where the CPUs of Nintendo 64s were manufactured. Jason is also a filmmaker. He is the creator of a 2005 documentary film about BBSes, BBS: The Documentary, and a 2010 documentary film about interactive fiction, GET LAMP.

Links

Presentation material - http://imgur.com/gallery/cNX4E

Floppy Days Episode 42

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-42-trs-80-model-iii-4-michael-nadeau

The TRS-80 Model III and 4 - With Michael Nadeau ("Collectible Microcomputers")

On the personal computer timeline, we’re currently in the 1979 to 1980 time frame. I do apologize that this month’s topic, the TRS-80 Model III and 4, is being presented slightly out of order in that there were a couple of machines introduced a little prior to this that I plan to cover. However, as I already had this one recorded I decided to present it now rather than hold up publishing an episode just to maintain a precise order.

As usual, I have a short preamble before we get into this month’s topic, covering new acquisitions, upcoming shows, and a little bit of feedback.

I was lucky enough to get author and vintage computer collector Michael Nadeau to agree to co-host this episode with me, so this should be a fun and interesting episode.

Edited by rkindig

What's weird for me, is that I really didn't know that Floppy Days podcast is older than Antic podcast. I'd heard of podcast, but never been interested, until Antic podcast.

Only then, I learned of Floppy Days podcast. I ignored it, for a little while, because there was a lot of Antic podcast to listen to. Then, as I gradually became interested in other retrocomputing platforms, and podcasts relating to such, Floppy Days became of more relevance. But I still didn't listen.

After I received my CFFA 3000 (compact flash for Apple II), I bought an Apple IIe. It didn't work. I don't know where to get it fixed (it displays apparently random jibbery text on the screen) so I never tried my CFFA 3000. I guess I'll have to get it fixed or buy another, but I'm glad I got the CFFA400. Obviously, this isn't an Atari - and I'll figure it out one day - but I Floppy Days made me MORE inrterested in this stuff.

Since Randy Kindig is such a big part of the Antic podcast (and I do love Kevin too, and miss him on Floppy Days), listening to Floppy Days (after first listening to Antic) has a nice familarity to it. I want some Kevin guest appearances on Floppy Days, but Floppy Days has some *awesome* guest appearances, already.

What's more, is that when I'm listening to Antic (which I totally love), I know some of what they're saying, beforehand, because I know a little about the A8. When I listen to Floppy Days, I don't know jack shit, which makes it all the more informative. After beginning in the middle with the Apple II (I think there are 3 episodes), I have started listening to Floppy Days from episode 1. I like how Randy explains who he is, and while being humble, he's pretty much a highly-educated, M-F genius. But the cool thing is, he's so humble, much as Kevin Savetz is. These are guys who are perfect for making podcasts, and whatever else it is that they do. Just really intelligent, informed, educated guys with no agenda, and good at media. I really like what they do, and I couldn't do what they do myself.

But to get back to the point - as an Atari (largely) user, I'd always been a bit curious about stuff like the PET, Apple, TRS-whatever, TRS-CoCo, and I whatever else. I've been largely-ignorant of these platforms that - while I didn't own - I probably would have been happy to own, and some of them I own, now, fortunately.

I am especially enamoured with the relations between 4 machines: The Atari 800 (and derivatives), the Apple II (and derivatives), the Commodore 64, the Atari ST, and the Commodore Amiga. These machines are all not only cornerstones of "home computing," but they are inexorably intertwined. The Apple II could have been a Commodore, or possibly an Atari. The Commodore Amiga could have possibly been an Atari. The Atari ST was designed by people who designed the Commodore 64. It's all very intriguing stuff.

But what I would like from Floppy Days is an interview with Shiraz Shivji - the chief engineer behind the Atari ST, and I think he had a lot to do with the Commodore 64. See, as good as Antic is, it's not concerned with this stuff. Yet, to a lot of Atari people (raising my hand, here), it *is* of interest. That's where Floppy Days needs to jump in and fill the void!

Thanks to Kevin, Randy, and Brad for what they do for the Atari8. Randy, you're "winging it" on your own with Floppy Days that covers other platforms (including some of which of are still Atari), but you do a great job, and I encourage you to keep up the good work! I love that I am behind on catching up to the current Floppy Days, because it means I always have something to listen to, between Antic and Floppy days.

I just received these 3 books, all mentioned in Antic and/or Floppy Days.....(since Amazon raised the "free shipping" bar to $35 from $25, I order less, so I was waiting)

post-16281-0-32727700-1438333248_thumb.jpg

I've only began to scratch the surface. Kevin Savetz's book is so excellent, because I'm about the same age, grew up with Atari computers, and so much else that he says resonates with me. I'm impressed, Kevin!

The Dr's Apple II book is just amazing. It's also dirt cheap, for a hard-cover of such excellence. It's great for an Atari man who want to learn about the Apple II.

"Racing the Beam" is quite technical and some is beyond me, but some of it is not, and I like that.

Thanks again, Randy, for Floppy Days. While you sang on some earlier episodes, who sang in the final? The Doctor????

And thank you to Kevin and Brad and Randy for Antic, and thanks to Kevin for his book.

I love all this stuff! Good day to you fellows. :)

What's weird for me, is that I really didn't know that Floppy Days podcast is older than Antic podcast. I'd heard of podcast, but never been interested, until Antic podcast.

Only then, I learned of Floppy Days podcast. I ignored it, for a little while, because there was a lot of Antic podcast to listen to. Then, as I gradually became interested in other retrocomputing platforms, and podcasts relating to such, Floppy Days became of more relevance. But I still didn't listen.

After I received my CFFA 3000 (compact flash for Apple II), I bought an Apple IIe. It didn't work. I don't know where to get it fixed (it displays apparently random jibbery text on the screen) so I never tried my CFFA 3000. I guess I'll have to get it fixed or buy another, but I'm glad I got the CFFA400. Obviously, this isn't an Atari - and I'll figure it out one day - but I Floppy Days made me MORE inrterested in this stuff.

Since Randy Kindig is such a big part of the Antic podcast (and I do love Kevin too, and miss him on Floppy Days), listening to Floppy Days (after first listening to Antic) has a nice familarity to it. I want some Kevin guest appearances on Floppy Days, but Floppy Days has some *awesome* guest appearances, already.

What's more, is that when I'm listening to Antic (which I totally love), I know some of what they're saying, beforehand, because I know a little about the A8. When I listen to Floppy Days, I don't know jack shit, which makes it all the more informative. After beginning in the middle with the Apple II (I think there are 3 episodes), I have started listening to Floppy Days from episode 1. I like how Randy explains who he is, and while being humble, he's pretty much a highly-educated, M-F genius. But the cool thing is, he's so humble, much as Kevin Savetz is. These are guys who are perfect for making podcasts, and whatever else it is that they do. Just really intelligent, informed, educated guys with no agenda, and good at media. I really like what they do, and I couldn't do what they do myself.

But to get back to the point - as an Atari (largely) user, I'd always been a bit curious about stuff like the PET, Apple, TRS-whatever, TRS-CoCo, and I whatever else. I've been largely-ignorant of these platforms that - while I didn't own - I probably would have been happy to own, and some of them I own, now, fortunately.

I am especially enamoured with the relations between 4 machines: The Atari 800 (and derivatives), the Apple II (and derivatives), the Commodore 64, the Atari ST, and the Commodore Amiga. These machines are all not only cornerstones of "home computing," but they are inexorably intertwined. The Apple II could have been a Commodore, or possibly an Atari. The Commodore Amiga could have possibly been an Atari. The Atari ST was designed by people who designed the Commodore 64. It's all very intriguing stuff.

But what I would like from Floppy Days is an interview with Shiraz Shivji - the chief engineer behind the Atari ST, and I think he had a lot to do with the Commodore 64. See, as good as Antic is, it's not concerned with this stuff. Yet, to a lot of Atari people (raising my hand, here), it *is* of interest. That's where Floppy Days needs to jump in and fill the void!

Thanks to Kevin, Randy, and Brad for what they do for the Atari8. Randy, you're "winging it" on your own with Floppy Days that covers other platforms (including some of which of are still Atari), but you do a great job, and I encourage you to keep up the good work! I love that I am behind on catching up to the current Floppy Days, because it means I always have something to listen to, between Antic and Floppy days.

I just received these 3 books, all mentioned in Antic and/or Floppy Days.....(since Amazon raised the "free shipping" bar to $35 from $25, I order less, so I was waiting)

attachicon.gifDSC05815.JPG

I've only began to scratch the surface. Kevin Savetz's book is so excellent, because I'm about the same age, grew up with Atari computers, and so much else that he says resonates with me. I'm impressed, Kevin!

The Dr's Apple II book is just amazing. It's also dirt cheap, for a hard-cover of such excellence. It's great for an Atari man who want to learn about the Apple II.

"Racing the Beam" is quite technical and some is beyond me, but some of it is not, and I like that.

Thanks again, Randy, for Floppy Days. While you sang on some earlier episodes, who sang in the final? The Doctor????

And thank you to Kevin and Brad and Randy for Antic, and thanks to Kevin for his book.

Wow, wood_jl, this is the most amazing post about Floppy Days or Antic that we've ever gotten! It actually made me blush :)

I am so glad you enjoy both podcasts. I know that I really enjoy being a part of both podcasts. They have a different focus and a different format, but I think they complement each other. I learn right along with the listeners for Floppy Days, as I freely admit to NOT being an expert on all these machines, and love finding people who ARE experts to help me co-host the show. I also love doing all the research to learn about the rich heritage of computers from the late 70's and 80's. For Antic, I learn from my co-hosts each show and just genuinely enjoy talking with them for an hour or two each month about Atari computers. They've become good friends. I've actually made a lot of friends in this hobby.

Your post is very welcome and I appreciate the kind words. Don't be surprised if some of this is read on Antic and/or Floppy Days :)

Randy

attachicon.gifDSC05815.JPG

Oh, and the good doctor, Steve Weyhrich, sings the intro to Floppy Days himself! Sure beats the heck out of my version.

Randy

Oh, and the good doctor, Steve Weyhrich, sings the intro to Floppy Days himself! Sure beats the heck out of my version.

Randy

While I appreciate your good spirit in your original version of the "Floppy Days" theme song, I have to admit that the Good Doctor is something of a Musical Maven. I say that as someone who IS NOT, but I'm able to recognize that. The Good Doctor is quite something, and I'm glad he participates in your top-notch podcast. Keep doing what you do!!! The only thing lacking is that you're not on Sirus-XM. :)

Thanks to you for what you do, and thanks to the ANTIC team (which includes you) for finally making podcasts that are well-done enough to make me want to listen - and about such interesting subject matter. Take care, and thanks-again!

• 1 month later...

Floppy Days Episode 46

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-46-tandy-coco-part-2

The Tandy Color Computer, Part 2, with special guests John Linville and Neil Blanchard of the CoCo Crew Podcast

This episode is part 2 of a 3-part series on the Tandy Color Computer, also known as the CoCo. I have special guest hosts to help me this month: John Linville and Neil Blanchard of the “CoCo Crew Podcast”. Join us as we discuss Coco tech specs, peripherals and pulling it out of the box.

I also go over my new acquisitions, a short overview of VCF Midwest 10 that occurred on August 29 & 30, tell you about upcoming vintage computer shows and cover some podcast feedback.

Randy Kindig

host Floppy Days

• 2 weeks later...

http://vintagecomputer.net/poster_detail.cfm

I want to mention a special sponsor for the show: Bill Degnan and his vintagecomputer.net Web site. Vintagecomputer.net is the place to go for information about Historical Computers and Vintage Computer Restoration. Bill has a blog where he discusses various vintage computer topics and projects and it’s a great reference site.

Bill has put together a poster he calls “the History of Commodore Computers” which is the culmination of three years of work and research. The Commodore systems have been professionally photographed specifically for this poster and the photos appear nowhere else. This poster is ideal for any vintage computer fan, Commodore Computer collector, classic or vintage memorabilia display. This is a limited edition poster and will not be re-printed. Poster Dimensions are 24" x 36" and it includes hi-resolution images of common AND rare and hard-to-find systems including the KIM 1, PET 2001, PET 4016, PET 8032, VIC-20, C-64, C-64C, SX-64, C-128, C-128D, B-128, Plus/4, C-16, Amiga 500 and more plus selected diskette drives. The cost is $19.99 + shipping, depending on where you’re located. Check it out. It really is a great poster whether you’re a huge Commodore fan, or whether like me, you just like vintage computers in general.

Bill also donated one of these posters to the show to use for a contest of my choosing, so by the next show I will announce how that will work. Stay tuned for more information about that and thanks, Bill, for the donation of the poster.

• 2 weeks later...

Floppy Days Episode 47

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-47-tandy-coco-part-3

The Tandy Color Computer, Part 3, with special guests John Linville and Neil Blanchard of the CoCo Crew Podcast

This episode is part 3 of a 3-part series on the Tandy Color Computer, also known as the CoCo. I have special guest hosts to help me again this month: John Linville and Neil Blanchard of the “CoCo Crew Podcast”. Join us as we discuss Coco magazines, books, software, modern upgrades, emulation, Web sites and much more.

I also go over my new acquisitions, tell you about upcoming vintage computer shows and cover some podcast feedback.

Finally, we also have audio segments from no less than 4 different CoCo fans who share with us their memories and thoughts about the Tandy Color Computer. Thank you to Michael Moore, Rick Adams, Jon Day, and Tony Cappellini for your contributions.

Note that Floppy Days now has a Facebook page where you can discuss the show or vintage computers in general. Search for “Floppy Days” on Facebook.

Edited by rkindig

• 2 weeks later...

Floppy Days Episode 48

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-48-kevin-savetz-interviews-wayne-green

Welcome to a special interview-only episode of the Floppy Days Podcast. For this show, we have an interview conducted by Kevin Savetz, interviewer-extraordinaire from the Antic Podcast. Kevin conducted this interview 2 years ago. Since the interviewee and topic are not Atari-related, but are very much vintage computer related, Kevin and I thought perhaps Floppy Days would be a good medium for publishing this interview.

Wayne Green, Computer Magazine Publisher

Wayne Green was founder of 73 magazine; Byte magazine; Kilobyte, which became Kilobaud, then Kilobaud Microcomputing; 80 Micro magazine for the TRS-80; Hot Coco for the TRS-80 Color Computer; Run for the Commodore 64, inCider magazine for the Apple II; and several other computer magazines.

This interview took place over Skype on January 29, 2013, when I was doing research for a book about the very first personal computer magazines — Byte, Kilobyte, and Creative Computing. Although I've decided not to write the book, I am publishing the interviews that I did for them.

Wayne Green died on September 13, 2013, eight months after we did this interview.

Teaser quotes:

"Sharing is the big deal for me. When I find something fun, interesting, I have to share it."

"Steve Jobs ... I heard about the Apple computer so my wife and I stopped by to visit him. ... He took me out to the garage and showed it to me. He says, 'What do you think?' I said 'I think you've got a winner. There's a first computer conference is going to be in Atlantic City in two weeks. Be there.' He says 'Oh, I can't afford to fly.' I said, 'Take a bus. Be there.'"

"Amelia Earhart kept her plane at my dad's airport. ... I used to play in that when I was a kid. ... I'm one of the few people who knows exactly what happened to her."

Edited by rkindig

• 3 weeks later...
Floppy Days Episode 49

The TI-99/4A - History, Interview with Jim Fetzner and Mark Wills

In the home computer timeline, I’m currently covering computers released in the era from 1979 to 1980. Next up is the TI-99/4A. When I went to research the TI-99 I found an incredible amount of information about the machine and an involved, vibrant community surrounding it. As a result, I pulled in as many experts as I could find to be involved in providing information about this very interesting machine. I got so much involvement, and found so much information, that I will be covering the TI-99 for the next several shows. That will include the typical topics, such as history, tech specs, modern upgrades, emulation, Web sites and much more, as well as interviews with some TI luminaries. As I typically like to cover the history of the machine first, that will be the topic of the first couple of shows. For the history segment, I was lucky enough to find a couple of people who have an incredible history with the TI-99, Jim Fetzner and Mark Wills. Jim has an extensive, multilingual library of all things TI and possesses some very interesting hardware items related to the TI-99, as you will hear. Mark is the author of TurboForth for the TI-99/4A and has been involved in the TI-99/4A scene pretty much since 1983. He’s also English, living in the UK, so he has a rather British take on the home computer wars. Since the interview piece I typically do with the co-hosts before covering the main topic took so long and turned out to be so interesting in it’s own right, I decided to break out the interview into its own show and the next show will then cover just the TI-99 history with the help of these two gentlemen.

• 1 month later...

Floppy Days Episode 50

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-50-ti-99-history

The TI-99/4A - History, with Jim Fetzner and Mark Wills

This is the second in a multi-part series on the TI-99/4A computer. For this history segment, I was lucky enough to find a couple of people who have an incredible history with the TI-99, Jim Fetzner and Mark Wills. Jim has an extensive, multilingual library of all things TI and possesses some very interesting hardware items related to the TI-99. Mark is the author of TurboForth for the TI-99/4A and has been involved in the TI-99/4A scene pretty much since 1983. He’s also English, living in the UK, so he has a rather British take on the home computer wars. I will cover TI-99 history with the help of these two gentlemen. I think you will find this very interesting!

• 3 weeks later...
ATTENTION, TI-99 USERS!!

I still need your memories or thoughts about the TI-99 computer to use on Floppy Days. I have 2 upcoming episodes on the TI-99 and while I have a couple of audio clips from TI-99 fans, I would like to have more. I love to have the involvement of the community and others seem to enjoy those clips as well.

I'm just looking for audio clips of 2-3 minutes (you can go as long as 5 minutes if you have that much material). Pretty much any audio format is fine; I can convert it to what I need.

Just think of the fame and fortune that are sure to follow should you have your audio clip published on Floppy Days!

The sooner the better. If you get me something in the next few days, I can include in the January show. If you get me something in the next 3 weeks, I can include in the February show.

If you have an audio clip to submit, send me a private message and I'll tell you how to get it to me. You can send through Facebook or to the Floppy Days email address, if you know that.

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Floppy Days Logo Contest - Fan Poll

http://www.facebook.com/groups/floppydays

Hello, Floppy Days fans! There were 7 people who submitted entries to the Floppy Days Logo Contest, with the winner to receive the wonderful Commodore poster put together by Bill Degnan:
Darren Doyle
Rory McMahon
Stevie Strowbridge
Tom Raidna
Jeff Salzman
Paulo Garcia
Brad Townsend

I need your help in picking the winner. Please come over to the Floppy Days Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/groups/floppydays) and vote for your favorite. If you submitted an entry, feel free to vote for your entry. However, please everyone just vote once.

This poll will run until the end of February (February 29), 2016.

Thanks and congratulations to everyone who submitted an entry. There's some great stuff here! Picking a winner is tough! (I do reserve the right to make the final decision smile emoticon )