IGNORED

DIY 128k/512k cartridge - PCB, files and build instructions

peteym5,

If you have a look at the schematic, I've only run A0-A7, CCTL, and PHI2 as inputs to the CPLD, so that rules out the XEGS banking scheme which I think uses D0-D7.

The Max/Williams scheme appears to be very similiar to the atarimax 128k one, so should be perfectly do-able.

I'm not planning to produce these commercially - the design is free for all to use and modify. Getting the PCBs produced is as simple as uploading the brd file to e.g. dirtypcbs and waiting for a couple of weeks for them to arrive!

Regards,

Robin

I have not looked at this thing in awhile. The position of the hole in the middle allows it to fit into an Atari Brown/XEGS Shell or a Williams Shell. Without the exact dimensions of the board, I don't know if it will wobble around inside the Williams Shell. The bank switching scheme is similar to AtariMax and Williams, I have been using that scheme,write non zero value to D500 + bank number.

Edited by peteym5

Eric,

Very good job!! i love it and i make it, whith the help of Space Invader. (I have some problems programing de Xilinx).

Here is a picture of the cartridge:

5cb0cp.jpg

Thanks for your job, but I have a question:

It is posible to make a .jed that support a 8Mb Chip, making the corresponding changes in the PCB's

Thanks

• 2 years later...

I redrawn schematic and pcb design for use with most common parts for today. I used SMD elements but flash chip stayed in DIP package for simple programing in common programers. This refreshed design is prepared to use with Sikor's cartridge enclosure, because I wanted to check if my pcb template design is correct (yes, it is!).

Current parts list:

- 1Mbit (128kB) or 4Mbit (512kB) 32 pin Flash EEPROM e.g. SST39SF010, SST39SF040
- 32 pin DIP socket for the above
- Xilinx XC9536XL VQFP44
- LM1117/AMS1117 SOT223 (or other 5v->3.3v regulator)
- 2 x 10uF (A or 1206 or 0805)
- 3 x 100nF (1206 or 0805)
- 6 goldpins for jtag

Cartridge was tested and it works correctly. I attach Eagle project. Use it as you wish:-)

1226621030_Mqpcbcart1.jpg.bf99462615cac7b9a737187609a18b77.jpg347428009_Mqpcbcart2.jpg.04b315b9a1c7cdcaf0b19b68cd65de4a.jpg

Atari 4mbit Cart.zip

Edited by Mq.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 6

I attach project files for xilinx, and jedec file for 4Mbit version. In fact the vhdl code is the same as in the file that electrotrains shared in the first post, while ucf file contains a new pinout assignments for VQFP version. In the zip file I added ready to program jedec file for xilinx based on that vhd/ucf files I prepared for VQFP version of xilinx. Its all for 4Mbit version.

bank_switch_4Mbit_vqfp_jedec.zip

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi. I am trying to build a 4mbit version of this cart. I am at the stage of programming the Xilinx chip (USB Blaster programmer and UrJtag software, BSDL definitions downloaded from the Xilinx website). Unfortunately, the file attached here is in the JED format. Is it possible to convert this file to SVF? Using what program? Is my programmer enough to program this chip?

image.png

In the first post there are xsvf files, which works both with PLCC and VQFP xilinx chips.

In the post #29 there is jed file which works only with VQFP xilinx, but I don't remember exactly why. I think it was related to different pinout of TQFP and PLCC xilinx. I think jed file has pins numbers, while xsvf has pins names instead, so it works properly on both versions of chips. Or something like that...

I never used usb blaster to program xilinx, so I can't help with it. I'm using an old LPT programmer and original xilinx application named IMPACT for programming, which needs jed file from me.

Edited by Mq.

I wrote VQFP first, but it is TQFP I think. I don't remember which is which, I think it is different package thickness only, I don't know, but we know what we are talking about:-) Anyway I mean chip I used on pictures in previous posts. And yes: I'm 99% sure the file xsvf from the first post in this thread should work on my version of pcb project.

Edit: I think it is VQFP after all ;-)

Edited by Mq.

Unfortunately urjtag doesn't work with xsvf files (only svf). I downloaded and installed impact but it doesn't detect my usb blaster. On the net I found a diagram of an easy to do LPT>JTAG interface (Xilinx DLC5 Cable III) but I don't have any computer with a parallel port anymore. What a bad luck, I need to find one now :) 

I created a svf file using impact (from a jed file). Unfortunately urjtag throws errors:

Connected to libftd2xx driver.
IR length: 8
Chain length: 1
Device Id: 01001001011000000010000010010011 (0x49602093)
*******************************************************************************  Filename:     bsdl/xc9536xl_vq44.bsd
warning: USB-Blaster frequency is fixed to 12000000 Hz
Error svf: mismatch at position 33 for TDO
 in input file between line 67 col 1 and line 67 col 61
error: Error occurred for SVF command, line 66, column 0-60:
 SDR.
detail: Parsing   5160/5163 ( 99%)detail:
detail: Mismatches occurred between scanned device output and expected TDO values.