IGNORED

Who's given up on thrift finds (classic games)?

I was in Vallejo on Friday, I went in the Eco Thift

I was looking for Games, I asked the guy if any Nintendo Games, Guy coming out at 2 pm it was about 11:30 am -- I had to wait til he brings it out

Anyhoo, Before that I looked at the back, nothing yet..Came back to the front, He had 3 NES Games out, There's a guy checking on his phone, He said he hasn't got the Games, I couldn't tell what 3 he had, Don't know if he's saying or just going to flip it

Fast Forward to 2 pm the guy come out with the Games, Nothing to exciting :( Stayed for nothing

I was in Vallejo on Friday, I went in the Eco Thift

I was looking for Games, I asked the guy if any Nintendo Games, Guy coming out at 2 pm it was about 11:30 am -- I had to wait til he brings it out

Anyhoo, Before that I looked at the back, nothing yet..Came back to the front, He had 3 NES Games out, There's a guy checking on his phone, He said he hasn't got the Games, I couldn't tell what 3 he had, Don't know if he's saying or just going to flip it

Fast Forward to 2 pm the guy come out with the Games, Nothing to exciting :( Stayed for nothing

Wow...that is dedication if you waited around 2 and a half hours. I know I couldn't do it without knowing exactly what they had.

• Like 1

I suppose when I stop to think about it, I've effectively given up. I hit up thrifts far, far less often than I used to, and even when I do then it's mostly out of old habit. I don't actually expect to find anything.

I do know a couple of game shops that still have this stuff (between them, I've gotten a Vectrex, late-release INTV carts incl. Stadium Mud Buggies, Alien Brigade for 7800, dozens of 2600 games, and other stuff, and I've seen a VIC-20 and CIB Aquarius), and their prices usually aren't too outrageous, but they're up by my old hometown, three hours away. So obviously I don't get to go that often.

It doesn't help that I'm at the point in my collecting where most of the stuff I still need/want is pretty obscure anyway. Rare 2600 carts, an INTV III, anything that says TRS-80 on it, and the like.

So it's pretty much just marketplace forums, eBay, and vendors at Midwest Gaming Classic and VCF for me.

I have other hobbies that keep me thrift shopping and you've probably seen my posts about those hauls over in the "thrift finds" thread. Cheap vinyl, cheap movies, and the occasional interesting board game, book or other trinket are what keep me shopping. Video games are just one entry on the list.

I had a really surprising day yesterday at a Goodwill of all places. I've basically given up on Goodwill as a place for retro games, as I never had any luck there, but I happened to go into one by my house yesterday and lo and behold, found a boxed version of Ghost Lion on the NES for ninety nine cents! Even has the poster! I was shocked, as my experience with Goodwill is either moderately overpriced games or stacks of sports games and largely unusable old PC games.

The game seems to be typically graded as rare in all of the NES rarity guides I've found, due to its 1992 North American release date (it was released in '89 in Japan.) Quite the find, IMO, and probably the best game-related find I've had at a Goodwill.