IGNORED

Next Generation Intellivision Classics for PC & MAC Kickstarter

I was referring mostly to the Super STIC and single resolution background cards (rather than the double line resolution cards we have now)

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/intelli3_tech.html

This claims backwards compatibility so I could see a line of double carts. Shark Shark (the original) and Shark Shark Ultra on the same Retro VGS cart,

This sums my thoughts but rather than a dedicated device, they should partner up with Mike and the Retro VGS, produce an official FPGA spec that is the Intellivision 3. More ram, gram, 64 or 128 mobs etc. and release official branded Intellivision 3 games, the new controllers from the Flashback could be repurposed as well. Then release updated versions of the original Intellivision games.

Well, then you have something else other than "Intellivision". And that doesn't excite me.

We have the technology to do many amazing things with classic gaming, it seems no one is able to put it all together in the right combination. Yet it is so simple.

They're not going to spend the time hunting down the pieces and hoping they work, and they don't really have much interest in emulation or modern re-releases (both of which are much cheaper).

Emulation is too technical and requires too much PC knowledge to get going.

Hunting down consoles and controllers, cartridges and overlays, cables and documentation - that's too tedious except for extremely niche collector like here on AA.

I was referring mostly to the Super STIC and single resolution background cards (rather than the double line resolution cards we have now)

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/intelli3_tech.html

This claims backwards compatibility so I could see a line of double carts. Shark Shark (the original) and Shark Shark Ultra on the same Retro VGS cart,

I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie. Especially as it would still use the same CPU. A few new commands in IntyBASIC and Bob's yer uncle.

I always forget about the planned III. It incorporates everything I think it should - better graphics, intellivoice, 4 controllers, another sound chip. I guess I was envisioning the IV, which woulda been cool, but it's just another generation entirely.

But if a new console came out? I think we'd see 1000+ copies sold without batting an eye. 5-10,000+ for a really great game.

I disagree. Its a nice idea, but the vast majority of people that would buy any new Intellivision console are people that have nostalgia for the original games and hardware. Sadly, offering them some new and exciting homebrew games to play isn't what they are after. Ultimately, they just want to relive their childhood memories by playing on the titles that they grew up with.

In my own experiences of attending huge (10,000 people) retro shows as an exhibitor, the Intellivision is avoided like the plague :lol:. However, the Atari 2600/800/XL, C64 and Spectrum are systems that people instantly recognise and make a bee line for.

• Like 1

Its a nice idea, but the vast majority of people that would buy any new Intellivision console are people that have nostalgia for the original games and hardware. Sadly, offering them some new and exciting homebrew games to play isn't what they are after. Ultimately, they just want to relive their childhood memories by playing on the titles that they grew up with.

Exactly why I bought an Intellivision system, and only plan to get the games I played on it as a kid. My favorite game was Thunder Castle, so it was my first (and currently only) purchase so far. I don't really have much interest in collecting for the system, so I won't be purchasing games that I didn't play or don't remember, nor do I have any interest in homebrew games for it. I only purchased the hardware to relive the full experience, not "new and exciting" experiences, and not as a collector or hardcore enthusiast. I think I'm probably in the vast majority here as well, where the ultra hardcore "gotta have everything" crowd is a lot more niche. Not saying the market isn't there, but it's small, and raising $100k for 3 titles that run on the PC and have little more than updated graphics is a long shot.

Edited by clowerweb

As of now they need to bring in a little over $2,700 per day for the next 35 days.

In re-watching the video I wish they would have done something different with the falling rocks. Looks too much like over-stylized SpongeBob chunks.

I know I've said this before, but it shouldn't cost one red cent to develop these games. They're not that intensive, and I've seen software 50 times more complex being made available for free. Not saying these should be given away, but $100,000 to develop them? Anyhow, they seem to be done already. Look at the video!!

I could be alright with this if I could get the idea of "old men capitalizing on past glory" out of my head. Hate to say it, someone has to. But it's true. Same sort of fail happened with that Jungle Adventure flop from David Crane.

Make no mistake I enjoyed much of his early works, just like I enjoyed the earlier Intellivision material. For some odd inexplicable reason which I have yet to fully define I dislike all the hype and marketing surrounding these classic remakes.

Let me make one thing clear, "I like the original games!" END, FINITO, DONE & DONE WITH!

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree. Its a nice idea, but the vast majority of people that would buy any new Intellivision console are people that have nostalgia for the original games and hardware. Sadly, offering them some new and exciting homebrew games to play isn't what they are after. Ultimately, they just want to relive their childhood memories by playing on the titles that they grew up with.

I think for the most part, you're right here. But what if new Intellivision games (in cartridge form that play on the real hardware) came from the folks behind the original games?

In my own experiences of attending huge (10,000 people) retro shows as an exhibitor, the Intellivision is avoided like the plague :lol:. However, the Atari 2600/800/XL, C64 and Spectrum are systems that people instantly recognise and make a bee line for.

The retro-gaming expos we have in the US aren't as large as those in the UK, for sure. But the Intellivision gets plenty of interest and attention at all the ones I've attended here. And that's in large part due to the fact that it was a "top 3" player in the '80s console wars in the US. Not so in the UK. Over there it was an expensive, largely unknown console, with limited to no marketing - when compared to the Atari VCS/2600 (based on things I've read and from discussions with retro-gaming friends of mine in the UK). Is that your recollection as well?

The retro-gaming expos we have in the US aren't as large as those in the UK, for sure. But the Intellivision gets plenty of interest and attention at all the ones I've attended here. And that's in large part due to the fact that it was a "top 3" player in the '80s console wars in the US. Not so in the UK. Over there it was an expensive, largely unknown console, with limited to no marketing - when compared to the Atari VCS/2600 (based on things I've read and from discussions with retro-gaming friends of mine in the UK). Is that your recollection as well?

Actually, when I went to CGE 2012, I was sort of disappointed that, of all platforms being represented, the Intellivision was not really all that well recognized. It honestly felt like a guppy swimming with the big fish. Yes, Intellivision Productions, Inc. had a booth, but it didn't have as much traffic as some of the others.

I was also told that we were going to sell new games like hot-cakes, because Intellivision was so hot. I think I sold 16 Christmas Carols, most on the first day. The second day we got almost no traffic, except for the people asking about the recall.

Of course, that was my experience, but it doesn't seem the Intellivision is as big we all would like. Intellivision was indeed in 2nd place after Atari back in the 1980s, but it was a rather distant place.

-dZ.

I think for the most part, you're right here. But what if new Intellivision games (in cartridge form that play on the real hardware) came from the folks behind the original games?

If the games came from Intellivision Productions then they wouldn't be classed as homebrews but the general public purchasing the Flashback would have absolutely zero nostalgia for them. Even if Keith himself coded a game on a Flashback and was handing them out to people in a store, probably >99% of the purchasers would not know who he was.

The most popular consoles were the 2600, Vectrex and ColecoVision. I don't remember anyone having an Inty back in the day.

Actually, when I went to CGE 2012, I was sort of disappointed that, of all platforms being represented, the Intellivision was not really all that well recognized. It honestly felt like a guppy swimming with the big fish. Yes, Intellivision Productions, Inc. had a booth, but it didn't have as much traffic as some of the others.

I was also told that we were going to sell new games like hot-cakes, because Intellivision was so hot. I think I sold 16 Christmas Carols, most on the first day. The second day we got almost no traffic, except for the people asking about the recall.

Of course, that was my experience, but it doesn't seem the Intellivision is as big we all would like. Intellivision was indeed in 2nd place after Atari back in the 1980s, but it was a rather distant place.

-dZ.

Next convention you go to, rent your own bikini booth babe. That will surely bring traffic! Edited by revolutionika

-dZ.

At all the CGEs that I've attended, most of the vendors sold Intellivision items along with the 2600, Colecovision and NES stuff. And the Intellivision has been well represented in the museum.

When I attended the Portland Retrogaming Expo in 2013, I saw more Intellivision stuff for sale, more consoles set up to play, not as much as the 2600 et al, but I would say a bit more than CGE 2012.

Last year's CGE was probably the best, as far as an Intellivision presence:

Intellivision Productions was doing brisk business with the Flashback, and we were in the booth right next to them demoing games and educating attendees about the Intellivision, selling Flashback controller adapters, and we had our Intellivision Quotient contest and Gavv's Burgertime high score challenge.

Blix was there, Soul Buster was demoing Lost Caves Of KROZ and Boulder Dash, and selling games. The Blue Sky Rangers did a panel, the museum had the typical big Inty display, you could play Inty games in the console area, and most of the game vendors had at least some Intellivision items.

Maybe that wasn't the primary reason people came to CGE, but everyone there certainly got an eyeful/earful of Intellivision.

At all the CGEs that I've attended, most of the vendors sold Intellivision items along with the 2600, Colecovision and NES stuff. And the Intellivision has been well represented in the museum.

When I attended the Portland Retrogaming Expo in 2013, I saw more Intellivision stuff for sale, more consoles set up to play, not as much as the 2600 et al, but I would say a bit more than CGE 2012.

Last year's CGE was probably the best, as far as an Intellivision presence:

Intellivision Productions was doing brisk business with the Flashback, and we were in the booth right next to them demoing games and educating attendees about the Intellivision, selling Flashback controller adapters, and we had our Intellivision Quotient contest and Gavv's Burgertime high score challenge.

Blix was there, Soul Buster was demoing Lost Caves Of KROZ and Boulder Dash, and selling games. The Blue Sky Rangers did a panel, the museum had the typical big Inty display, you could play Inty games in the console area, and most of the game vendors had at least some Intellivision items.

Maybe that wasn't the primary reason people came to CGE, but everyone there certainly got an eyeful/earful of Intellivision.

I'm not saying the Intellivision is unknown or does not have a dedicated and passionate following, only that it is minuscule as compared to other platforms -- much smaller than we all would like, and certainly not on par with most of its contemporaries. That's all.

I would imagine that is the reason that Intellivision home-brews are still sold in boutique quantities in spite of heavy promotions, that there are virtually no "retro-gaming" magazines dedicated to it, and that some reviewers feel compelled to explain and introduce the Intellivision whenever they happen to mention it.

In my opinion, there are two kinds of people interested in Intellivision stuff, in general: those who are passionate about the platform and try to keep the community alive (i.e., us in this forum); and those who have fond memories of the machine from way-back-when but are not really ready to go out of their way for it. The former is a much smaller set and although they would be interested in new games produced, may not be enough to sustain a major production enterprise. The former is a larger and more mainstream set of "casual" fans, and they would most likely only be attracted by the genuine article that triggers those pangs of nostalgia such as the Flashback and original games. They probably wouldn't bother chasing down a dusty old console and try to hook it up to their modern entertainment system, though.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and this Kickstarter is going to turn around Any Time Now.

Edited by DZ-Jay

-dZ.

Other than CGE 2014, the Intellivision hasn't had a big presence at retro gaming expos. This is mostly because the expos mainly have NES and newer items. All pre-NES are rather sparse, including Intellivision, ColecoVision, Vectrex, and Atari. Obviously Atari is the largest of the pre-NES systems, but even Atari is only a small percentage of what the vendors are selling.

I've joked with a few vendors that the 2 happiest days for a retro game vendor are when they buy a big box of Intellivision gear and again when they sell the same box 5 years later. ;-)

The most popular consoles were the 2600, Vectrex and ColecoVision. I don't remember anyone having an Inty back in the day.

Actually, no. Only the 2600 was more popular than the Intellivision (by a mile). The Intellivision was the 2nd most popular console of the 2nd generation gaming consoles. The Intellivision outsold the ColecoVision and was on the market for longer (by ~50%). The Vectrex wasn't even close to either Intellivision or ColecoVision which beat the Vectrex by an order of magnitude. It's sales numbers were much closer to the Fairchild Channel F (though the Vectrex likely beat it). The Vectrex was so uncommon that I didn't know it even existed until the mid-1990s.

... I'll just add that what we saw as kids can vary wildly from location to location. While the Commodore 64 outsold the entire Apple II series by at least 3x, I only saw a Commodore 64 once as a kid. That's one, ever. Where I grew up, it was hardcore Apple II land (I even say more TI-99/4 computers than Commodore 64s). It doesn't surprise me that some people barely or never saw an Intellivision while growing up.

My jaw dropped after seeing the $100 000 mark and I am still looking for it…

These Gen2 games do not appeal to me but could probably do some good in terms of “marketing the brand”, and be fun for a lot of people.
But I cannot see why it should have to be so expensive to make them.

Perhaps they should contact Mattel, do a license deal, and let their programmers do the games (with new graphics...) and put them on their gaming webpage.
Go full circle with Mattel again? Who knows what that could lead to in the future?

I can see Mattel getting into the retro gaming business with gen2 games and flashbacks and whatnot.
For them it would not be a big investment and it would be a natural part of their company history.
But I am digressing… ;-)

Anyways, here is the Mattel Gaming webpage.

(Aerial Attack-Robot Swarm is like Mission X meets Space Armada...)

Sorry, I missed the part about the "in the UK". Fair enough.

i never heard of or saw an intellivision until 2012. I had a coleco with an atari adaptor, nes, an ibm pc jr and apple IIe. Friends had ti-99, atari 800, nes and atari 7800 systems. I knew 1 person who had a commodore 64.

My jaw dropped after seeing the $100 000 mark and I am still looking for it ...

I'm sure that $100K total is not unrealistic as the total cost of development, given the price of professional developers and testers and graphic artists all working and living in California, but trying to cover that entire cost in one Kickstarter campaign before the first copy is even "shipped" is not the right way to go about it, in my opinion. That's trying to offload all of the risk onto somebody else. I pledged because I still want to support these guys and I kinda like the idea (although the Night Stalker remake was the only one that really appealed to me), but it's clear that this attempt isn't going to get funded. Next time, they should try a more incremental approach.

• 2 weeks later...