IGNORED

Multi Disk Commander

Gazoo

Does anyone have any contact info for Oliver Arnold, author of 'Multi Disk Commander' ?

Before I start hacking his wonderful program, I'd like to ask him if he's ok with it, or maybe if he would be willing to make the changes that I'm planning.

Thanks,

Gazoo

He still shows up at the various TI meetings in Germany, so you might want to see if Wolfgang Bertsch from Errorfree has good contact info for him. I may also still have his email (I may have lost it when my machine crashed about six months ago though--my most recent backup of my mail file was corrupt, so I lost some data there.

Just tried both disk versions on my f18 equipped console. Opening screen is great but once you do a directory of anything the characters go crazy and unreadable. Oh well.

Yes, of course. You need a real 80 column device to use the program.

Gazoo

Just tried both disk versions on my f18 equipped console. Opening screen is great but once you do a directory of anything the characters go crazy and unreadable. Oh well.

What kind of video card are you running? I believe this program is designed for the older 9938 or 9958 varieties.

Currently there are some programs floating around that are not compatible with another card. While I'm not going to engage on the political aspects of this topic, I do believe any 80 column or extended capability program should be CLEARLY STATED when it's posted as not to waste peoples time.

What kind of video card are you running? I believe this program is designed for the older 9938 or 9958 varieties.

Currently there are some programs floating around that are not compatible with another card. While I'm not going to engage on the political aspects of this topic, I do believe any 80 column or extended capability program should be CLEARLY STATED when it's posted as not to waste peoples time.

So how is the user of a genuine 80 column VDP device supposed to determine whether a program works with a non-standard VDP device so as to 'not to waste peoples time'?

I don't believe the user of the genuine equipment should have to take on the responsibility to sort out that type of nonsense.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

Has there been any software specifically written for the F18A? Or, are the software packages available for it 9938/9958 packages that have been "adapted" to work in an F18A system? I would be interested in knowing which software is F18A-specific. I know that Rasmus' excellent games run flawlessly on a 9938 system.

Currently, there are three distinct camps in the TI community.

#1: Those that have been running the older 9938/9958 type devices.

#2: Those that are running the F18A type device.

#3: Those that use the standard 9918 VDP.

A user of genuine equipment, that being the original 9918, does not have the ability to distinguish between or run anything with the extended capabilities of the F18A, 9938 or 9958, so they will be unable to make the distinction. So, if an author or user posted something that they knew would not run on a basic unit, it sure would be nice to let them know so they do not waste their time downloading and installing something that will not work for them. I feel that's just basic courtesy.

You are 100% correct, it's not your responsibility to determine if something will work on a device you don't own. Now if you know the program is written expressly for the 80 column cards, would a quick, "For 9938/9958" be a problem?

Has there been any software specifically written for the F18A? Or, are the software packages available for it 9938/9958 packages that have been "adapted" to work in an F18A system? I would be interested in knowing which software is F18A-specific. I know that Rasmus' excellent games run flawlessly on a 9938 system.

Some 9938 80-column software works fine unmodified with the F18A, some has been adapted, and some (mostly those requiring the expanded memory) will not work. I believe Ohm had started a thread somewhere of F18A compatible 80-column software.

There's going to be more F18A support moving forward than 9938 support, however.

To call one "genuine" and the other not is just a ploy to make one look bad, however. Neither device is original hardware. :) There is going to be a lot more F18A support in new software than 9938 support, however.

Some 9938 80-column software works fine unmodified with the F18A, some has been adapted, and some (mostly those requiring the expanded memory) will not work. I believe Ohm had started a thread somewhere of F18A compatible 80-column software.

There has been nothing new to add to the list lately, although I fully expect at least one new program to be added within the next couple of months.

If you're interested atrax27407, the current list of F18A compatible programs can be found << HERE >>. :)