IGNORED

HSC12 Round 8: Ramp Rage v1.1

Suprisingly winning the poll :grin: is my new game

Ramp Rage v1.1

No giant gorillas or wanton destruction of buildings but hopefully you should have some fun.

post-19705-0-95572200-1432757216_thumb.pngpost-19705-0-87112400-1432757230_thumb.png

The game is more or less finished; there may be a few issues but after nearly 3 years it's about time I got this out there, so play and tell me what you think. EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY/COMMENT

Here is a PDF file with detailed instructions, but the premise is simple: collect the targets :)

Ramp Rage Version 1.1.pdf

And here is the freshly assembled ATR file ready to roll

RRBootGame.ATR

Please do NOT distribute this yet - I'll make some small updates at the end of the round and then release it on the main forum: HERE - Version 1.2

Videos: Post #11 Using PMG Shield Post #12 Entire Level 3 including docking

Play on Normal (the default level).

The game is intentionally challenging but you should be able to make progress after a few goes. You may wish to first play on Easy to get the hang of the basics.

Bonus Challenges on Expert OR Easy - take your pick - you can only play one (highlander) ;)

Easy is meant to be very easy and Expert is meant to be very hard.

Bonus Points for highest level reached on each skill and for finding undocumented features :twisted:

Don't be shy, if it doesn't run, you think it's too fast, too slow, too hard, too easy, too boring, not intense enough, too intenese, certain levels or features could be better, you always get stuck on the same bit, whatever, please comment. Ramp Rage is a simple idea, but there is a lot to the game, with many features and control tricks. If someone can create a video I can then comment on how you are playing ;)

Round Now Ends Wednesday 10th June 5pm UK time

The Ramp Rage Ship's Log! [will be updated as we play]

<o> I've just changed something with the gates and they now flash instead of being on solidly - this will probably does make them too easy, but we'll see. They will become solid again after level 20(!).

<o> I've tried to match up for PAL and NTSC systems; if you have both, a comparison would be greatly appreciated

<o> Emulator scrolling may be a bit jerky - try full screen mode (press Alt and Enter)

<o> Possibly you can be killed if collecting a power-up when another baddie is in contact with you (even with the PMG shield) - please confirm if this happens?

<o> Sometimes a baddie may be loitering in the left margin - you can get him with the plane! [or right side]

Note: the docker will not appear until all baddies and power-ups are off screen!

<o> Still a couple of places where scenery gets wiped (screenshots helpful here)

Have fun

trbb

p.s. I'll take a 50% scoring penalty; hope that is fair :)

Edited by therealbountybob
Extended until Weds afternoon
  • Like 1

Ramp Rage v1.1 Final Tables

Normal

full HSC points

Player Score (Level)

1st trbb 57,330 28,615 (10) 12pts

2nd SHiNjide 24,430 (5) 11pts *

3rd jk40001 20,670 (4) 10pts #

4th adam242 15,600 (3) 9pts

5th 8BIT-1337 7,110 (2) 9pts

6th powersoft 6,100 (2) 8pts

7th McKong 4,530 (2) 8pts

8th Sleepy 3,740 (1) 7pts

9th ballyalley 3,580 (1) 7pts #

10th Star castler 2,390 (1) 6pts

11th akator 1,900 (1) 5pts

12th playermissile 800 (1) 4pts

13th Goochman 500 (1) 3pts

14th jblenkle 400 (1) 2pts

15th Sikor 200 (1) 1pt

* Highest Level Reached Bonus Point (not trbb)

# Finding an Undocumented Feature Bonus Point

Bonus Challenges (play only one):

Easy

4pts for 1st, 3pts 2nd-3rd, 2pts 4th-5th, 1pt for playing

Player Score (Level)

1st Star castler 9,370 (3) 4pts *

2nd bluecat 5,150 (2) 3pts

(McKong i'm hoping you and the other top players will play on expert!)

*Highest Level Reached Bonus Point

Expert

4pts for 1st, 3pts 2nd-3rd, 2pts 4th-5th, 1pt for playing

Player Score (Level)

1st SHiNjide 4,140 (2) 4pts *

2nd jk40001 3,980 (1) 3pts

3rd adam242 2,300 (1) 3pts

4th 8BIT-1337 1,370 (1) 2pts

5th ballyalley 860 (1) 2pts

*Highest Level Reached (past level 1) Bonus Point (not trbb)

Updated

Lost my last life by crashing the mother ship! :-o Next time I will try to reach level 2! ;)

Score: 3730

BTW: Nice game, trbb! :D :thumbsup:

First post :thumbsup: Thanks SHiNjide :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's hard to start with but you soon get used to it and will start to learn the playfield... it's all about decision making ;)

I made it to Level 4 19,540 (=9,770) :)

After first 10+ goes I must say I do like it very much! With every go I learned and improved. The game is however not easy and need some practice. I may change my mind later but at this stage I think targets need too long 'kiss' to be collected.

Reading manual is a must.

I played with standard difficulty and made it to 2nd level.

post-34165-0-43052400-1432407717_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to trying "Ramp Age" on real hardware. I tried a few rounds with Altirra. My first thoughts are that it reminds me of an early Synapse game. I put the "Ramp Age' 1.1 ATR image on my AtariMax 8Mb flashcart and NTSC 130XE with no success. Too bad. It's no surprise though-- only some disks work that way. I still have a way to play the ATR on real hardware via my APE and SIO2PC. I'll play around with that tonight. Looks good!

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to trying "Ramp RAge" on real hardware. I tried a few rounds with Altirra. My first thoughts are that it reminds me of an early Synapse game. I put the "Ramp Age' 1.1 ATR image on my AtariMax 8Mb flashcart and NTSC 130XE with no success. Too bad. It's no surprise though-- only some disks work that way. I still have a way to play the ATR on real hardware via my APE and SIO2PC. I'll play around with that tonight. Looks good!

:thumbsup: I've really used loads of RAM addresses that almost certainly will clash with any cartridge system - if you (or anyone) points me to some sort of guide I can confirm. I'm using nearly every free byte I can find. Jac did make an XEX of my abbuc version which would then run from a menu system so when I have the final final version after this round I'll see if he will create one, and perhaps that can be made to run on Cart too.

:)

After first 10+ goes I must say I do like it very much! With every go I learned and improved. The game is however not easy and need some practice. I may change my mind later but at this stage I think targets need too long 'kiss' to be collected.

:thumbsup: The target 'kiss' varies on each level [this is a key feature of the game] - level 2 is longer, but some are very short (usually those with more targets required). [Maintain your position over the targets do not just fly over them]. The plane's speeds may need an adjustment at the end of the round :)

26,570 (13,285) still level 4 - it's very hard for me to play and concentrate on playing without looking for stuff to fix or adjust! The broken gates do make it easier... for now ;)

post-19705-0-90352900-1432464751_thumb.jpg

Collected all the targets on level 3 but did not make it to the mother ship. I personally found level 3 easier than level 2. There are more targets in level 3 but these need to be engaged with the airplane for shorter time to be collected.

post-34165-0-20288000-1432492317_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had 61xx (let's say 6100) but started the game again and within this play it crashes

(I use AtariWin Emulator)

hmmm.. atari800win+4.0 on a PC? I'll play on here too and see [i've had a couple of goes and it seems fine?] - I've mainly used Altirra so far when not on real h/w and it seemed to work on OSA/B/C.

If anyone has an Atari 800 would be nice to confirm if it runs ok (I have one packed away).

A video to show the gameplay will be really helpful - I'll see if I can do one from altirra but it might be too large so might have to do a dodgy mobile phone version!

Turns out I'm a genius! Ok here's a quickie showing the jumps and the PMG shield in use...

Ramp Rage Video #1.wmv

hmmm.. atari800win+4.0 on a PC? I'll play on here too and see [i've had a couple of goes and it seems fine?] - I've mainly used Altirra so far when not on real h/w and it seemed to work on OSA/B/C.

Most plays well, approx each 20th turn will hang up the emulator.

So no worries ;)

• Like 1

Most plays well, approx each 20th turn will hang up the emulator.

So no worries ;)

No sure, if this is an emulator matter. I had 50+ goes on a real hardware and got a blue screen twice too. But really not a big issue imho.

• Like 1

I'd like to get to the bottom of any problems if I can...

EVERYONE: If the game crashes please can you post

0. anything you noticed beforehand e.g. corrupted graphics / slowed movement

1. what you were doing: e.g. collecting power-up / starting a new level / holding up while taking off, eating a bacon sandwich & listening to AC/DC etc

2. what you see on the screen

3. which system(modifications) / emulator you are using

More detail the better - thanks :)

p.s. I'm hoping Ramp Rage will be the sort of game you can make progress on each session. I'm really interested in finding the sweet spot where the speeds and intensity are best (if it exists). I'm hoping it will get to the point of overwhelming the player like Millipede etc but not so it ever feels impossible.

Hopefully the fuels should be a key part of the game later on. Some levels may not be possible but we'll see. I think after level 20 it's no chance so I'll need to increase the inbuilt shield in the final release.

After a few rounds I scored 1900 but no screenshot because it froze in game when repeating level 1. The screen turned the same blue as the background water color with nothing else on screen. Running Atari800 on Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1. It's probably not the game and instead whatever ancient version of Atari800 that is in the Ubuntu/Mint repositories ;)

So... 1900 so far. I will try again later on a Windows machine running Altirra and hopefully improve my score :D

• Like 1

2. what you see on the screen

3. which system(modifications) / emulator you are using

I have these modifications: vbxe, u1mb, simple stereo

and this is how it looked in both ocasions. Will make more notes if this happen again.

post-34165-0-06678700-1432612398_thumb.jpg

Edited by jk40001
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info so far - please continue to report everything you can :thumbsup: If I can find a few more bytes I can make less use of zero page locations and that might improve compatibility. (So far I've had no problems on my 130XE).

I had a serious go and got through to level 10 - collecting all the extra men helped a lot. I ran out of fuel with 1 target to go. Fuel got tight around level 8 and this was good pressure. I've noticed a few more things that need tweeking and found a bit of a flaw in the positioning of the baddies plus their intensity is still not quite right; but it still played pretty well. 57,330 (10) = 28,665 :)

post-19705-0-12965000-1432675287_thumb.jpg

Final version will be even easier on easy though bluecat did get to well into level 2 on her 2nd go ;)

Couldnt quite figure this one out - maybe too many things going on/to think about? In plane mode I didnt expect to crash on a tree.

Tree? There are no trees(!) but it could be a mountain or pylon - I did my best with the graphics :-o The manual is a good read and checkout the video above too. The game intentionally has a many features to compensate for the short playfield. Play on easy first to get the basics :)

Might have been one of the baddies :idea: avoid taking off if they are below you!

Normal 4530 level 2

Easy 20k+ level 6

I think the normal level will be too hard for a lot of people. The game feels much more playable on the easy level, in that the boat and plane feel more controllable. On the normal level I feel like I'm constantly trying to break the joystick to move around.

I retired the game I played on easy as it was going on too long so somewhere in between would be good.

Edited by McKong
  • Like 1