IGNORED

HSC12 Round 8: Ramp Rage v1.1

One minor issue I found was that on the 2nd level when the boat first turned into the plane I wasn't able to move it left or right or a couple of seconds. This happened every time and only on the 2nd level. I was playing on my unmolested 800xl

Noticed that too, but believed this was a feature..?

• Like 1

Noticed that too, but believed this was a feature..?

Yes - different levels have different "lock in" periods - you can only push up in this period to reduce the distance - you are vulnerable to baddies - on some levels with few targets you may need the long jumps. Taking off with boost also extends this period. The "collection" time also varies on each level on some you can only colllect 1 or 2 targets (without collecting the boosts when airborne)...

Hint: You can take off and transform to the plane anywhere from about 3/4 to full speed, varying this will shorten the "lock in" period and can be used to get to nearer targets.

There is a lot to the game, but you really need a good joystick anchored in front of the TV and to make good use of the diagonals.

I've already started working on the final version (1.2) so keep the feedback coming :)

I think you're in danger of making the game too complicated

too late for that - it is, but the basics are simple, players don't need to know all the nuances to enjoy the game - in the video of level 3 it only took about 4 jumps and a couple of minutes to complete the level. As i'm limited in playfield size the only thing to keep it interesting is to have a lot of features. I'm trying to offer some lasting playability otherwise players might quickly complete the 20 levels and that would be it. If I have room I'll make easy get a bit harder later on but I'm literally down to around 5 bytes free :)

Edited by therealbountybob

Played today but no progress so far. I quiet mastered the first level and can go through with no life/one life lost but I have a problem with level 2. I only made it through second level twice from all my goes.

• Like 1

Played today but no progress so far. I quiet mastered the first level and can go through with no life/one life lost but I have a problem with level 2. I only made it through second level twice from all my goes.

Can you (everyone) comment on what is difficult (boat / plane / obstacles / targets / landing / baddies) [all!!] ?

I'm guessing plane/targets: Level 2 gives the player a taste of the longer targets early as this varies throughout the game and must be mastered. I'm guessing you are trying to move horizontally between targets and spending a lot of time at the top of the screen. You are best to minimise movement across the screen; after take off and between targets keep down held (even still moving left right to avoid obstacles) until the plane goes fast - then you can just move l/r. Hold up just before the targets to slow your flight moving up to maintain your position. (Take a look at my video of level 3). I've lengthened the collection period for the final release game. Another hint is the plane can fit through tighter gaps than you might think.

So far my best score is 700 - I have to totally admit I had no idea what I was doing (I got 0 in my first play through). I'll hit the manual and try again :)

Probably best to play on easy first to get the basics - when you get fed up play again on normal.

EVERONE: I'm happy for all the feedback negative included, it's all useful. I know it's tricky but it has to be challenging for the game to offer some playability otherwise it will be like it is on easy where you just lose interest after a while.

:thumbsup:

Hope everyone is managing to make some progress after a few goes :-o

The extra man on level 1 is easy to get and then get the extra man on level 2 before doing the targets - that should give you 5 men for 10 targets guys ;)

The poll for round 9 is OPEN - HSCers will be pleased to know that regular gaming wil return :D

I made it through level 2 few times today, so I guess it was not just a pure luck:)

Why level 2 is difficult for me? Targets are hard to collect and bodies maybe too aggressive for such early stage of game. I feel I am having almost constantly one of them up and down of the screen so it is hard to focus on the main goal: to collect targets.

Anyway, happy to report some progress:

made it to level 4 twice today and here is the highest score I got: 18330

post-34165-0-72444300-1433094635_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, Level 5! -> 24430

post-41132-0-07476400-1433105905_thumb.jpg

And I tried expert. This is hard (just one target per jump!!!) but nice! -> 3400 (LVL1)

post-41132-0-98436500-1433105916_thumb.jpg

And what I do not understand: I think just in level 2, after the transformation the airplane is blue for a few seconds and you can't control it. Why? Is there a reason?

• Like 1

...noticed that if you stay over fuel sign extra long, you will take fuel twice even the fuel sign disappeared after first refueling...maybe extra unpublished feature?? :)

Yes [bonus Point] :thumbsup: . keep up held and don't move off the targets. More fuel coming in v1.2 ;)

Yeah, Level 5! -> 24430

And I tried expert. This is hard (just one target per jump!!!) but nice! -> 3400 (LVL1)

And what I do not understand: I think just in level 2, after the transformation the airplane is blue for a few seconds and you can't control it. Why? Is there a reason?

Glad people are making progress level 5 is really 1/4 through the game - though it does play on after level 20. v1.2 will have the gates active so will be harder in some respects.

Flight time varies (as well as the time over a target) - some levels you are only airborne a short time so making a longer jump means you travel further but cannot move or collect targets.

On Expert you can collect multiple targets if... you see the instructions ;) but with single targets it makes you concentrate on safer target selection!

Collected all the targets in Level 4 having 3 lifes left, attempted to enter mother ship 4x times but was not lucky enough to success even once. It obviously just was not meant to be, not today at least.

New score: 20.670

post-34165-0-83173300-1433448662_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I like it! I haven't had much time again this round (yet) but I've managed a few tries..

1710 - PAL(ish)

post-19239-0-66667700-1433472681_thumb.jpg

As for comments, I don't have much to add, except to agree with a few other posters:

The game is however not easy and need some practice. I may change my mind later but at this stage I think targets need too long 'kiss' to be collected.

Reading manual is a must.

Definitely a learning curve. Which is good, it means the game has some depth that will reward further play... I will have time this weekend.

My first thoughts are that it reminds me of an early Synapse game.

Yes - again, a very good thing.

Nice work, Jason!

• Like 1

Collected all the targets in Level 4 having 3 lifes left, attempted to enter mother ship 4x times but was not lucky enough to success even once. It obviously just was not meant to be, not today at least.

New score: 20.670

On level 4 the mothership is harder - you need to open her up first... shoot either side one closes and one opens then you can mount her :-o :D

If you are too late don't risk it just do another target to activate her again. Remember you can dive onto her even through a rock but be careful!

I'll updated the tables on Post 2 in a minute Updated . I'm still working on a few changes but have been busy with work :twisted: I'm taking account of what is said so keep the comments coming :thumbsup:

How about some more votes? Round 9 Poll ;)

Looks like everyone is gone for holiday and I am the only one playing

The game is a bit too hard and complicated for me. This has kept me away from it. I'll try to post some score, but playing is difficult. Usually I tackle the manual during these rounds and I can get much better at a game. In this case the manual is so dense that I have too much to remember. Plus, if you can believe it, I've been playing a lot of a 2600 called "Gas Hog." I say "if you can believe it" because "Gas Hog" is usually considered not that great. I'll get to "Ramp Rage," even if it means playing it after the score deadline passes.

• Like 1

This is a hard game! I played it for an hour and I finally have wrapped my head around it (meaning I scored above a couple of hundred points). Re-reading the manual helped once I was not crashing every moment.

Score 2,880 (Real NTSC 130XE)

post-4925-0-15803200-1433560608_thumb.jpg

When I play on real NTSC hardware the fuel guage is cut off at the top of the screen (see the following picture):

post-4925-0-87934100-1433560609_thumb.jpg

I now like the game... but it's not easy; it seems to be aimed at advanced game players. What are your feelings on this "BountyBob?"

• Like 1

It´s a nice, extensive game, but still a little bit too hard for me - I nearly finished the first level until yet...

Nevertheless, here´s my "normal" scoring: 3740

post-18285-0-78544000-1433579435_thumb.jpg

Played on a PAL XEGS.

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 1

Some feeback on the feedback!

The game is a bit too hard and complicated for me. This has kept me away from it. I'll try to post some score, but playing is difficult. Usually I tackle the manual during these rounds and I can get much better at a game. In this case the manual is so dense that I have too much to remember.

There are a lot of features but the game is simple in concept. I could spoil the learning curve with more info but I hope players will find out more each time they play. It's intended to be a game to offer a lasting challenge :)

I'll change the manual to advise playing on Easy first.

This is a hard game! I played it for an hour and I finally have wrapped my head around it (meaning I scored above a couple of hundred points). Re-reading the manual helped once I was not crashing every moment.

When I play on real NTSC hardware the fuel guage is cut off at the top of the screen (see the following picture):

I now like the game... but it's not easy; it seems to be aimed at advanced game players. What are your feelings on this "BountyBob?"

I'll adjust the fuel gauge down a little - nice one as I'm programming now :thumbsup:

I wanted the game to appeal to all. Easy should be ok for everyone, but too easy for good players after a few goes. Normal should be challenging and expert should be really hard. As the game has a limited playfield (no compression or anything at this point) if the game was much easier the player would soon lose interest. It's never going to be like Millipede where you keep advancing with more intensity or like River Raid where you have loads of different maps to travel, so I've gone for more of the Frogger II: Threedeep or Preppie approach - levels with more features and difficulty - the challenge is to compelte the game's 20 levels.

[Not seeing the top quarter of the speed gauge is more of a problem as it's very useful when jumping, to know if you are fast enough to transform or to control your jump length.]

[Perhaps a better comparison would be Blue Max - no chance at first but once you master it you can make progress. However with Easy R.R. is playable by almost everyone hopefully. Yes I know my game is not in the same league as any if those I've mentioned but you get the idea!]

It´s a nice, extensive game, but still a little bit too hard for me - I nearly finished the first level until yet...

See what you think of easy if you have time? I think Ramp Rage will keep players interested the "final" version 1.2 will be easier on level 2! and generally throughout (apart from the working gates!)

Again thanks for the comments everyone :thumbsup:

Reminder: this round and the POLL close Monday Night :)

Edited by therealbountybob