IGNORED

Jaguar vs. N64

atari2600land

Seeing as how the Jaguar touted itself as being 64-bit, and seeing as this is also how the Nintendo 64 got named after being 64 bits, I was just wondering: which is more powerful? I have both systems and have a ton of games for each of them, so there's no need about giving advice on which one to buy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Look at the hardware partners, the sheer amount of cash to spend on R+D, promotion and support, the size of the teams, the teams involved and the games developed, let alone the age of the hardware used between the 2 platforms and you'll see Nintendo had everything Atari simply did'nt....

Oh and a long standing reputation in the console market helped :-)
  • Like 1

More bits is great, and it worked with the Jaguar in it's time and worked with the N64 in it's time. But the Jaguar is three years older than the N64, so of course the N64 is going to be a more powerful console. Just like the Genesis and SNES are 16-bit, but the SNES is more powerful because it is 2-3 years newer. Or the 8-bit Colecovision vs. 8-bit NES, one also 3 years newer and more powerful. Bits aren't everything though, and processor speed and graphics hardware are more important and the later console in each case is several years newer.

Compare the Jaguar to it's contemporaries, not the generation that can stretch for half a dozen years with superior consoles being released within the generational period. What was released within a year or so are true contemporaries, which in the Jag's case include the Panasonic/Goldstar/etc. 3DO, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Commodore CD32, etc. and the Jag is at the arguably at the top or second most powerful of it's contemporaries.

The N64's true contemporaries are the Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation, the N64 blurred the blocky textures...

The Jaguar was one of the very first in it's generation and the N64 the last, and really shouldn't be compared, and if the Jaguar has some games that might be compared to N64 games, then kudos to the Jaguar.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 5

Take a look at what Nintendo, Rare and Factor 5 were doing with the N64. I'd also like to encourage people to take a look at World Driver Championship on the N64. I'd call it the most underrated game in the n64. It would be interesting to see what the Jaguar would pull off with the same talent and support but the N64 will still out do it.

• Like 1

I think Skyhammer could be comparable to some n64 games.

Maybe if the screen wasn't 2/3 dashboard and the framerate wasn't 10fps half the time and 15fps the other half it'd seem like a first gen psx game. But (graphically) against games like sin and punishment (N64) and G-Police (PSX) there is no comparison ;)

• Like 2

We are'nt seriousily comparing best commercial Jaguar games to N64 games are we?

I loved Jaguar Syndicate, Doom, AVP, Iron Solider etc etc but compare them to Playstation games like Iron Solider 3, Doom, Syndicate Wars, Alien Res.... let alone going route of Fight For Life Vs something like Toh Shin Den let alone Tekken 3.
Plus even before Quake 2 hit we had polygon FPS like Life Force Tenka, Shadowmaster etc and we've already had the verdict from Mike Diskett who attempted to convert Magic Carpet to Jaguar CD.
Jaguar had it's strengths and weaknesses, but how many developer views+retail games do people need to realise it was out gunned by newer hardware in form of Saturn and PS1 in areas like polygon 3D, texture-mapping etc, let alone even newer tech like N64.....
It's back to era of Jaguar being able to do competent version of Daytona USA at this rate.
Lets just be happy with Jag games that did push the hardware, rather than were SNES/MD ports....

N64 Perfect Dark was mentioned a few times earlier, hell there's a game the N64 even struggled with, exp.pack and all, in terms of frame rate.Always personally felt that it (and Saturn Burning Rangers) would of been far better suited to the generation of hardware after.

Mind you i loved N64 Perfect Dark..long time, just that frame rate at times, flip-book stuff at best :-)

Perfect Dark 0 on 360 though (shudder)...

Burning Rangers would of made for a superb 1st gen DC game...

Totally off-topic, but a sensible post :-)

• Like 1

N64 Perfect Dark was mentioned a few times earlier, hell there's a game the N64 even struggled with, exp.pack and all, in terms of frame rate.Always personally felt that it (and Saturn Burning Rangers) would of been far better suited to the generation of hardware after.

Not really true. At times, the framerate would suffer, but only in hectic circumstances (like the bottom of the elevators/reception on stage 1), but overall, it was fine.

Couldn't agree more. They should have either pushed it back to the DC or released it for both, regardless.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. They should have either pushed it back to the DC or released it for both, regardless.

I feel the same way (about PDS and Burning Rangers), it's not like there weren't any saturn projects that got pushed to the DC (shenmue). But because I'm a saturn fan and they look so good on the system I'm glad they didn't get pushed over :-D released on both would've been okay too!

Well ... Gamefan has spoken .... and I believe it missed a hell of a chance to shut it .... nevermind I've never played Zero5 and likely never will, at the same time I've never played 90% of N64 games (that's like ~330 of them or something) to compare the music and likely never will so I can't say one way or another, but I'll take my chances with the N64 here.

The only thing that buggers the hell out of me is the foggish/blurry/blendy 3D appearance of so many N64 titles, there's gems in there but a lot of turds as well. I guess I like a more sharp looking 3D (not too laser cut) and likely I am not not alone at that because all previous and then successive consoles gave away with that ... or maybe it was just an overdone early-tech FSAA on a too low res to make sense.

My N64 is at the moment protecting the shelf it's sitting on to collect too much dust by interposing itself between said dust and said shelf .... funny thing is that so is my Jag, just different shelf .... and in addition it needs a dust flap ... found it ... JagCD + memTrack works wonders ;-)

Pretty sure I can find more games to enjoy on the N64 though, there's simply more, a little lacking in 2D platform and RPG ... wait the Jag too has limited selection there ... mmmhhhh .... well "It's me Mario" won me over.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Pretty sure I can find more games to enjoy on the N64 though, there's simply more, a little lacking in 2D platform and RPG ... wait the Jag too has limited selection there ... mmmhhhh .... well "It's me Mario" won me over.

There's a lot more to N64 that "It's me, Mario..." But hell, Mario 64 was one hell of a mesmerizing experience for first time players in 1996. And it still holds up well to many modern titles even.

I was a late bloomer to retrogaming. I started collecting NES in 2002 and first experienced Mario 64 in 2004. Even then I was blown away.