IGNORED

Jaguar vs. N64

atari2600land

On 6/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, Sauron said:

*yawn*

Well... Sigh... I've spent a lot of time thinking backwards and forwards about how the Jaguar works, but never really implemented any kind of game development... QBASIC was a language I ran into some years back on an old "IBM 486 PC" I had in the mid 90 I never really fully understood so QB64 seems to be a bit of a second chance at the language...? I have some history with the old language running the executable including that came with the package; can't really think of a better language to try and grasp the concept of making games and what it takes to make them well... I can't help but feel like it's all talk at this point, but that's where my head is right now I'll probably eventually get to the tools yall have made, but for now, I have too many other priorities in real life and family that seems to take a lot my attention these days... I'm just going to have to force myself at the compiler at some point.

On 6/26/2021 at 6:40 PM, Cyprian said:

Yea I got a lot of old documentations on much of that... I know the DSP has a 16bit interface on it even though it's a 32bit processor... The GPU jumps from internal cache to main ram, I hear you have to be a bit lenient on the GPU accessing main unless wind up hammering it where you can literally fry an egg on the chip using a consistent loop or something to that affect. That's another experiment sitting on the back burnner for another time... I think it's important at this point in time I just focus on the game; also I got hard copies of this book that discusses making real time 3D on the Atari ST in "Assembly", which I've chosen to be my Assembly language trainer to help head me in the right direction... It doesn't matter if I use the 3D engine in the book or not, what matters is getting an understanding on 3D programming in Assembly Language; that's the ultimate goal.

44 minutes ago, philipj said:

Well... Sigh... I've spent a lot of time thinking backwards and forwards about how the Jaguar works, but never really implemented any kind of game development... QBASIC was a language I ran into some years back on an old "IBM 486 PC" I had in the mid 90 I never really fully understood so QB64 seems to be a bit of a second chance at the language...? I have some history with the old language running the executable including that came with the package; can't really think of a better language to try and grasp the concept of making games and what it takes to make them well... I can't help but feel like it's all talk at this point, but that's where my head is right now I'll probably eventually get to the tools yall have made, but for now, I have too many other priorities in real life and family that seems to take a lot my attention these days... I'm just going to have to force myself at the compiler at some point.

Well there you go, seems like you're finally starting to get it. Talk is cheap, but practice isn't. If you REALLY want to learn programming, you're going to have to get your hands dirty. Spending 1 hour of typing code will teach you far more about hardware than 10 years of stream-of-consciousness ramblings ever will.

• Like 4