IGNORED

Beta Release Eye of the Beholder - Atari Lynx

mvirtuale

Probably over 100 copies out there now, possibly double. Some of us have a dump of it which will be released soon. EricDeLee is doing another repro run soon - and after that if he doesn't release the ROM others will!

It can be completed as far as I know, at least 3 people have beaten it. I've got stuck somewhere deep into the game, just because it's hard without maps.

The controls take a while to get used to. The best thing is that you have a possibility to save your progress to the 16k special R/W chip :)

Playing just the ROM without the extra save-possibility is not the same.

--

Karri

• Like 3

I played it seriously for a good while, not having much experience with dungeon crawlers before but I got along through floor 2 very well, then I "cheated" because of running around too many errands (losing time is punished) : I printed out the entire maps and had them right on my lap, but then got stuck in floor 3.

The other week i found unexpected action and progress when going back to (falling back into) floor 2 :)

It is 10 floors altogether.

The controls are truely ok, the fight system is well done, but I get lost too soon ...

Edited by Atari_afternoon

I got lost on level 2, it is somewhat hard with odd control scheme and no map or prior experience. One of these day I'll cheat, get full map from EotB for other platforms like GBA, and I'll stay on level one until I am used to Lynx control. The game almost feels like it was designed to be used with a mouse, which Lynx never got.

And no I am not selling mine. Not even selling the right to look at my box and manual that Eric made.

PS is it possible to make a simple mouse based controller that can be connected via comlynx port? For one player game where control would be easier like Missile Command and Lemmings (hacked of course to work with mouse)? It might make future homemade game worthwhile with mouse support. The only issue would be to convert X, Y, and buttons into one serial line, probably using same shift register design NES controller used plus whatever encoding needed to make it communicate properly over comport.

Instead of the mouse tranite ComLynx port could do such a thing?

bluetooth-mouse-installed-windows-8.1-stit would be possible?

ps.

it's true.
I am interested to buy the game.
For now, it is very difficult. I made a very generous offer. The owner of the game was all right, but at the last minute he changed his mind. I hope to find someone willing to venermi his copy.
If what I read is true, there are more than 100 owners. I hope to get lucky.

Hey all. Let me ask, as a guy who dips in to the community from time to time, and only heard about the release of EOTB today via http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/eyeofthebeholder/eyeofthebeholder.htm, where is the best place to keep an eye for this new run when it happens? And is Eric accepting pre-orders :) ?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I looked around and can't find the info.

Thanks!

Currently it is not available and hasn't been available in playable cart form for a few years. There was a plan to reissue the cart but I haven't heard of ETA.

I have the original run of EotB with working save support, nice box, manual, and that little black bag.

• 11 months later...

Eric was going to do one, but I think he was put off by my releasing the ROM. I don't think he needs to worry about that, people still want the game on a cart with backup support. I certainly would like to buy one off him! At some point maybe one of us can modify it to work on the SD card from McWill but I think we should wait to see if Eric wants to do another run before we start looking at hacking the ROM again.

• 1 month later...

It still has over five days to go, though.

What's the rarest 'release'? The CinciClassic version of 'Cybervirus'?

I have a save-game EotB, and there seem to be at least fifty of those floating around. 'Bitchy' had a smaller run, but since it wasn't offered publicly, I'm not sure it qualifies. How many copies of 'TNT Terry' and 'T-Tris' were produced?

Edited by davidcalgary29

TNT Terry isn't even a working game. afair Did someone actually try to sell it? You can do nothing in it afair, gameplay is not really implemented.

About EotB, we can at least get a pretty accurate number of the Eric DeLee release, since he had his waiting list here posted publicly on AA. I think it was something between 70 and 100.

• Like 1

I have a save-game EotB, and there seem to be at least fifty of those floating around. 'Bitchy' had a smaller run, but since it wasn't offered publicly, I'm not sure it qualifies. How many copies of 'TNT Terry' and 'T-Tris' were produced?

PITS probably come up as rarest Lynx release. No one released reproduction and the number of times I've see it on eBay I can count with just one hand.

P.I.T.S. was a German niche release that wasn't designed for the general gaming public, and most Lynx users haven't even heard of it; that probably's a good reason why people think it's so rare. That being said, I believe that there were more than 25 full units made (I have one), and you could order a cart up until a few years ago. Maybe you still can!

There's no way the cart is rarer than CinciClassic Cybervirus.

I had thought that TNT Terry had been sold by the author sometime before 2002. Perhaps I mistook it for something else...

Never mind; just checked a thread from 2003. It looks like only a few copies were sold, and not even as a limited 'release'.

Edited by davidcalgary29

As for PITS, I think it is safe to assume the full set is probably the rarest, if not one of the rarest releases. The cartridge may have been sold until not too long ago, but the real collector's item is the full cased set. So it is a super rare collectible, but only in the complete set.

post-21561-0-98385600-1465538049_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

How many copies of 'TNT Terry' and 'T-Tris' were produced?

I would be totally down for another run of T-Tris! :grin:

Well, unfortunately for me, I have to sell off my pre-release version of EotB with the save chip. Here's the eBay auction if you're interested...
Added to watch list. I'm curious what this really sells for.

As for PITS, I think it is safe to assume the full set is probably the rarest, if not one of the rarest releases. The cartridge may have been sold until not too long ago, but the real collector's item is the full cased set. So it is a super rare collectible, but only in the complete set.

attachicon.gifP_I_T_S_Fahrschule_auf_dem_Atari_Lynx_3.jpg

I'm with you on this one. It cost me over $200 ten years ago to get a cased P.I.T.S. (sans Lynx), which makes this the most I've ever spent on a piece of software.

Now that's a rare sight: EotB with save game for less than $10,000 :D

Yeah, I'm not a fan of putting BIN prices, especially stupid-high numbers. Started it at $30, figuring it will end up where it's supposed to.

Another rare cart is the CGE 5th Anniversary cart Songbird put out years ago. It certainly doesn't have the excitement of a game you can actually play and have fun with, but it is a rare one.

Bitchy had only 20 copies, so as rare goes, it's gotta be up there, but as you said, it wasn't released to the public, so...

Added to watch list. I'm curious what this really sells for.

As much as I hate selling off my cool games (especially when it's just to pay bills, and not for fun stuff), I have been wondering what the final bid will be. So, there is that, I suppose.

I am really surprised by the slide show dungeon movement with the power of the lynx being able to do 3D pretty well, like Xybots/luchsenstein for example.

Game looks true to form though, I enjoyed it on the Sega CD and the SNES.