IGNORED

How To: Installing 5V Regulator Mod in an Atari Lynx II

cowdog360

So here's a wierd one. I swapped the OKI regulator I had in one lynx with the one I had in another lynx with blinking LED, the blink went away. The voltage coming out of the good OKI was 5.02V, the voltage out of the one causing blinking was about 4.95 volts. So I'm thinking the Lynx is just very sensitive to the regulators.. some of them may be more noisy or not enough voltage, and it trips the low power light.

• Like 1

I've got 3 regulators spare to test, I'm going to measure the outputs on each one and try them in my lynx to see which ones work and don't.

If that's the case, then maybe instead i'll just buy adjustable buck converters instead and set them to just a tick over 5V.

• 1 month later...

I've had better success with the RECOM ones having the better voltage control out of the two. I am, however going to be testing a Pololu step-up/down regulator as an alternative. It looks good becuase you'd be able to play for longer on batteries. Once your batteries get to about 6.5V, the RECOM regulator will start cutting out, so on rechargeables that takes less time since they start out at about 7.2V.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

has anyone put a pushbutton switch in the system between the battery line and the 5v switching regulator?

Would that be a good solution?

You could do that, or if you were really fancy you could use a 5V regulator with an enable pin and wire it into the stock circuitry to make it work like factory. That all being said, skip the regulator and just get a new zener diode and MOSFET. I can sell you a proper zener.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this guide. I am a solder novice and the more detailed the guide the better. I want to work up from smaller projects before attempting the full McWill screen replacement. I want my lynx to be better then brand new when I am done with it.

This advise is out of date. It was originally a botch fix that originated in Germany that then gained traction on the Internet mainly because people did not understand how the original power circuit of the Lynx, is actually a true high efficiency power regulator. It is much better at it's job than if you replace it with an aftermarket power regulator.

You should replace the Mosfet and as a precaution, the Zener Diode.

• Like 2

This advise is out of date. It was originally a botch fix that originated in Germany that then gained traction on the Internet mainly because people did not understand how the original power circuit of the Lynx, is actually a true high efficiency power regulator. It is much better at it's job than if you replace it with an aftermarket power regulator.

You should replace the Mosfet and as a precaution, the Zener Diode.

Thank you, very useful information. I have not started any work on my lynx yet but I will make this my first lynx project.